Bonaldi / Bendix Booster Rebuild - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

[email protected] had written: "Strangely, although everything else in identical, the mounting studs were 5/16 by 20 SAE. Were these originally ordered by some American car maker, do think? Any one know?

Another related issue. I once put 1750 ATEs under my Giulia 1300 TI, but retained the single circuit MC rather than install the 2 circuit tandem MC. I had rear lock up at the limits of braking. Those thinking of reverting back to a single circuit system should think about why the 1750 MC has different bore sizes for front and rear."

bj:

Yea, the Bosch booster that I got recently (I think mine came via IAP) also used 5/16 studs. Weird. My guess is that since the original Bendatalia boosters went on cars with Girling (or is it Dunlop?) brakes, that they probably also used inch-sized hardware, and Bosch chose to duplicate that thread on their replacement product.

Were you running a pressure limiting valve on the rear circuit? Without one, I would expect your rear brakes to lock up before the fronts. Keep in mind that the hanging pedal Alfas, cars that also use ATE brakes, have a single bore in the MC. Yes, it is a 2 circuit MC, but with the same bore, and thus the same pressure, front and rear.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 01-31-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:43 PM

The mounting studs on my new Bosch boosters (ordered from UK) are a standard metric thread using 13mm nuts - the same as the original Bonaldi units on the car at present. Go figure
Anyone with Whitworth threads?

Also the bore on my twin circuit brake m/c is the same throughout.

Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #48 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:34 PM

Chris,
I think I'm wrong on the MC bore diameter. It takes rebuild kits for two single circuit cylinders, I assumed they were of different bore size. I had a mechanic with a proper lift do the job, so O never really looked inside. I also thought I had figured out the brake problem on the TI, because no matter what I did with the proportioning valve, I still had rear lock up..I was about to buy a proportioning valve from Pegasus, but sold the car to someone in the NY area and never heard if they got it sorted.

Has anyone out there tried Brithish sources for the boosters. Minis used an identical unit but with a cast iron cylinder made by Girling, I believe.

Barry

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 109 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Barry,
My boosters came from the UK, but if you mean less expensive non-Bendix substitutes, then I don't know. I fitted my little gold numbers today and surprise, surprise when I went to thread my new 13x8mm nuts onto the studs, they didn't fit. So I took one of the old boosters down to the shop where I'd purchased the nuts to have the thread measured properly and yep, you guessed, it's imperial - 5/16" More nuts and my first non-metric ring spanner (1/2") later and the boosters were fitted. So, I was wrong - sorry about the rush of blood to the head the other day. As they say, measure twice, cut once ..... When I reread my post, I thought it a little odd that Bosch would remake boosters for a limited market with two different threaded mounts. You live & learn - in my case slowly
Chris

1970 1750 GTV
1957 Giulietta Spider
post #50 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Chris,
I think I'm wrong on the MC bore diameter. It takes rebuild kits for two single circuit cylinders, I assumed they were of different bore size. I had a mechanic with a proper lift do the job, so O never really looked inside. I also thought I had figured out the brake problem on the TI, because no matter what I did with the proportioning valve, I still had rear lock up..I was about to buy a proportioning valve from Pegasus, but sold the car to someone in the NY area and never heard if they got it sorted.

Has anyone out there tried Brithish sources for the boosters. Minis used an identical unit but with a cast iron cylinder made by Girling, I believe.

Barry

Barry
Well, I might want to pursue this further....

Mini Spares - Product......and at 133 BP (about $266 each )...cheaper than what I've seen so far and they sure look like Benditalia's or the new Bosch units. Also,

Mini Spares - Product..... I wonder if those rebuild kits includes these hard to find plastic pieces. If so, will they fit the Bonaldi's? I guess a few phone calls will be required in order to find out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #51 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Source for plastic pieces

A while back (last year) I was searching for the little plastic spring seat and seal backings (or guides) for my boosters and came across J&L Spares a UK re-builder of boosters and other brake components for numerous makes of vehicles. I sent out an e-mail inquiry to them (to which I never received a reply) but didn't follow that up with a phone call...and so I completely forgot about them till recently. So, I decided to try again but this time I made a phone call to them first and spoke to gent called Phil (I should have asked for his last name) then sent photos of the booster and of the parts I was looking for. I phoned back the following day and Phil replied saying yes they have spare pieces available that although not identical to the original ones, would work just as well. These are the parts that arrived today..

Name:  IMG_0092.jpg
Views: 2608
Size:  134.7 KB

The filter elements are of new construction, but the plastic pieces are not and have probably been reclaimed from existing boosters. However they are in very good condition and very usable. The red spring seats I actually didn't need at all but was curious as to what Phil had available for these...so I bought them anyways...it turns out that these are identical to the original Bonaldi parts. I now have 4 extras of these red pieces available so if anyone is in need of these....just send me a PM. The seal backings (the white parts) seems to be a better design than the original ones in that they are not as fragile looking and sit further inside the end of the spring, which I think will provide better support to both parts.

So with these parts and the rebuild kits I picked up last year, my remaining task is to get the metal parts re-plated and the housings cleaned up. But I was sure glad to finally get these pieces.

To contact Phil at J&L Spares, go to the link below...

J and L Spares Ltd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #52 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Congratulations, Rossano, and thanks for sharing your research

Barry
post #53 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Barry, sometimes it's these little successful finds that sure help make it feel like I'm actually accomplishing something.

post #54 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:07 PM

where can we get the banjos and bolts without the check valves?
post #55 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Rossano,

A local vintage car mechanic just showed me a rebuilt booster for a British car that looks identical to our Benditalia units. I will ask who did the rebuild, which included stainless sleeves. Could be these guys have a source for the hard-to-find parts.

Barry
post #56 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Barry,
yes it's always good find pros willing to rebuild these and will be of service to someone in the future I'm sure. In my case I've sourced all the replacement parts and rebuild kits I need for a complete set. I won't be doing the rebuild till after replating the steel parts....so I'll probably get to this sometime in the new year.

post #57 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
A while back (last year) I was searching for the little plastic spring seat and seal backings (or guides) for my boosters and came across J&L Spares a UK re-builder of boosters and other brake components for numerous makes of vehicles. I sent out an e-mail inquiry to them (to which I never received a reply) but didn't follow that up with a phone call...and so I completely forgot about them till recently. So, I decided to try again but this time I made a phone call to them first and spoke to gent called Phil (I should have asked for his last name) then sent photos of the booster and of the parts I was looking for. I phoned back the following day and Phil replied saying yes they have spare pieces available that although not identical to the original ones, would work just as well. These are the parts that arrived today..

Attachment 98687

The filter elements are of new construction, but the plastic pieces are not and have probably been reclaimed from existing boosters. However they are in very good condition and very usable. The red spring seats I actually didn't need at all but was curious as to what Phil had available for these...so I bought them anyways...it turns out that these are identical to the original Bonaldi parts. I now have 4 extras of these red pieces available so if anyone is in need of these....just send me a PM. The seal backings (the white parts) seems to be a better design than the original ones in that they are not as fragile looking and sit further inside the end of the spring, which I think will provide better support to both parts.

So with these parts and the rebuild kits I picked up last year, my remaining task is to get the metal parts re-plated and the housings cleaned up. But I was sure glad to finally get these pieces.

To contact Phil at J&L Spares, go to the link below...

J and L Spares Ltd

Hi Rossano I just pulled my booster air valve apart but I can only find the brown tube thingy (on top of your pic) is this the filter element as it doesn't look like a filter to me? I can't find the white part (on bottom of pic) you mentioned, can you advise what is the use of this part and where exactly it goes?

Thanks for any help in advance
post #58 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 105GTV View Post
Hi Rossano I just pulled my booster air valve apart but I can only find the brown tube thingy (on top of your pic) is this the filter element as it doesn't look like a filter to me? I can't find the white part (on bottom of pic) you mentioned, can you advise what is the use of this part and where exactly it goes?

The brown cylinder is the filter (it's perforated) and allows the penta valve diaphragm to "breathe". The white piece is the spring seat (this in turn pushes up against the main seal) and is found inside the body of the cylinder...refer to item 9 table 60 exploded diagram of post #19.

post #59 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
I know this is kind of an old thread but I thought I would post what I learned this weekend. I have been rebuilding the boosters on my '69 Spider and didn't see any way to remove the air valve piston. While fooling around I found that if you run the booster plunger back and forth in the right sequence the air valve piston will pop out. It's easier to describe with pictures:

Attachment 67964
How the heck do you get this out? And what the heck does it look like?

Attachment 67965
So I inserted the booster plunger and ran it up and down to see that the spring was working and see which port was drawing air.

Attachment 67966
With the piston in the fully compressed position I covered the side port with my thumb and drew the plunger back and...

Attachment 67972
Out popped the piston! Actually this is re-inactment of the actual event. In truth, It shot out about 3 feet - I was lucky it didn't go down the floor drain...

Attachment 67973
ANd this is what it looks like. It has a small rubber seal on the end.

That's it. Hope this helps someone...
Hi gprocket I am trying to get that little air valve out to replace the seal but hardly any luck, just wondering to where if I can apply compressed air to blow it out?

post #60 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 AM

thanks rossano and I might need to get hold of Phil you mentioned cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode