Play in U-jointed steering column on 1973+ GTV and Berlina - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By r-mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Play in U-jointed steering column on 1973+ GTV and Berlina

At some point during the production of US spec 2000 GTVs and Berlinas, Alfa replaced the integrated steering column with a new column connected to the steering box by an universal joint.

This column has a splined lower section. I believe this was done to provide some sort of impact protection.

My late 1974 2000 GTV has this column and has a problem that is driving me nuts: the steering shaft has a little bit of play near the steering wheel and in some circumstances this causes an audible clunk.

The upper part of the shaft is centered in its support by an amazing bushing. The outer portion is brass, but inside there is a rubber bushing with a steel center sleeve. The shaft is grooved to retain a thrust washer with a snap ring (not shown on picture). The bushing itself rides on a portion of the shaft that is 0.5 mm less in diameter than its steering wheel end. As a result the bushing is captive. Its steel sleeve has a split, obviously to allow it to expand in order to slide over the shaft until it snaps in place, remembering that the leading end of the shaft is tapered. On the way out the change in diameter is not tapered, which makes removal of the bushing a challenge to say the least.

And why remove the bushing... if I don't have a new one to replace it. My local Alfa parts supplier found the part number for the rubber bushing (the brass piece is separate) : 116.00.23.088.00.

I'm trying to find a practical idea to get rid of this clunk...
Attached Images

Last edited by yvesmontreal; 01-15-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:36 AM

Yves:

I've had the same problem and it is getting worse. The steering column moves up and down.

Are you saying that buying the rubber part and trying to put it into the brass part will be a challenge? Is that rubber part particularly expensive? Is that picture your steering column?

I am very interested to know your progress and successes with this.

Thanks,

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

The first challenge is to remove the bushing from the shaft. It is likely that something will be damaged along the way.

The second challenge is finding a replacement bushing. Since we seem to be the only two people who need to fix this, not much volume for a replacement. Unless I have a new bushing in my hands, I will not attempt to remove the original one.

Third, I'm not sure a new bushing would eliminate the play. Since it's split and has to expand before sliding in place, it may not spring back to the appropriate ID. Maybe the play has always been there.

I've ended up installing a 38 x 20 oil seal in the bore of the aluminium support to assist in locating the shaft. And it can be done without removing the steering column from the car.

Last edited by yvesmontreal; 01-26-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Gents, do either one of you have a good diagram of the components of the 74GTV steering column? thanks, John
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Cancel that request, I just found an illustration in an old Alfa Ricambi catalog. Thanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 PM

Bumping this thread as I'm dealing with the same issue. My brass/rubber/steel bushing looks, visually, to be in good shape. I removed it from the shaft and confirmed what Yves originally said - the ID of the bushing is larger than the OD of the portion of the shaft it rides on. I suppose I do not entirely understand the principal of the U-Jointed shaft.

1. What does the pinch bolt do? I have a column support which is cracked and a replacement that is not - I'm keen not to crack the replacement
2. The collate nut at the splined connection cinches the tapered end of the shafts female splines. Is this cinching action what prevents the steeringwheel from moving fore-aft?
Attached Images

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:03 AM

Soak the old seal for a week in Lucas power steering stop-leak? (Seems to do wonders on other shrunken seals.)
Or buy the new one Yves found.
I do like your oil seal workaround too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 AM

Did Yves reference a source for a replacement or the part numbers for the oil seal workaround?

The other thing I cant get my head around is the portion of the column where the bushing site being smaller in diameter than the rest of the shaft. The bushing is a nice mild interference fit as it comes off the shaft along the part that is larger in diameter. Im struggling to see how to get a bushing that is an interference fit on the smaller part installed past the larger part.
jthames likes this.

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode