Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What Kinda Wheels Does Your Alfa Have?

489K views 891 replies 318 participants last post by  180OUT 
#1 · (Edited)
Both my GT Junior's have 14x7 Panasports with 17mm offset.

#5 ·
No pics folks, but my Spider uses 14 X 6 BWA 'Sportstars' (4 spoke) with Pirelli P-400 tires in 185/70-14. My Milano Gold has a set of CEC 129 wheels with Sumitomo HTR-200 tires in 205/50-15. My Milano Verde rides on the stock Speedline Wheels, wearing Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s in 205/50-15. My project GTV is sitting on five-spoke Chromadoras with very old Michelins in 185/70-14 sizing...that will change! :D

#6 ·
Alex, don't u have a pix of your spider with BWA somewhere on the board? Nice looking Duetto!!

My GTV has BWA Sportstars with some cheapo 195/60 R14 on them.

Found a nice set of Japanese Sumitomo(or Enkei? I forgot) 2 piece BBS replica for $300. Too bad the offset is ZERO. :(

PS Still looking for my Momo Vegas :D

Alex Csank said:
No pics folks, but my Spider uses 14 X 6 BWA 'Sportstars' (4 spoke) with Pirelli P-400 tires in 185/70-14.

#11 ·
John...you really have a 'thing' about polishing, don't you?

Those wheels look like they are chrome!

Although nice, I'm through with my 'chrome' phase...I'm now into the dull grey phase:D

#12 ·
Hey Alex:

Yep, I like shiny at times. I actually had a really nice set of the silver Daytonas prior to these that looked practically new. These are chrome dipped courtesy of Wheel Concepts out in California. These wheels were actually from my 84 parts car and were beat up, paint peeling, and just sad. So I sent them to Wheel Concepts to see what they could accomplish. $100 per wheel plus shipping back and forth, and now they look smooth as silk. They do take some of that sleeper appearance out of my car. Through WC I had the option of polishing, refinishing, or chroming. Over the years I have heard so many fellow alfa owners say that the mag alloys couldn't be chromed, that I decided to give it a try for uniqueness and to see if it could be really done.

Almost didn't do it. I really like the original looking cars, and this Spider came with the Turbinas. I didn't want an aftermarket wheel, but I didn't want a bone stock either. Part of owning a 78...almost a bastard. I have to make her feel accepted and part of the Alfa family.:D

Best Regards,
John M

#14 ·
OK, I cropped a photo and so here is a shot of my BWA 'Sportstars' on my Spider. They were a popular 'period' accessory and were often sold at the dealership as a 'dealer installed option' between 1967 and 1970. They are 14 X 6 in size, very light and strong, and they look nice when bead-blasted, painted an original dull grey (with a gloss black in the background pieces). I am hoping to clearcoat mine when I change tires sometime in the next year or so.

Cheers,

Attachments

#16 ·
You have those turbinas looking like new. You need to post a complete set of pics of your car up in the photo gallery. I have a gut feeling its pretty nice.

Best Regards,
John M

#18 ·
Thanks John, Your wheels sure do shine. I hope to get some pics of my 76 spider soon. The car has 33,000 original miles. I am the second owner, needed typical fuel tank clean, but otherwise in decent shape, couple of small dents, mostly rust free.

#20 ·
What kind of wheels are these

These are the wheels that came on my Spider when I bought it last year. I really didn't like them and bought a set of original star wheels. They were in pretty poor shape, but got them for $50 ea. and refinished them myself. Anyway, does anyone know what brand these are in the picture? There doesn't seem to be any markings to indicate what they are. Currently they've become a condo for a mouse in my shed. I would like to get rid of them but don't know if they are worth anything.

Attachments

#22 ·
I don't think they are BWAs. BWAs always had some markings in the wheel lips that said "BWA". Additionally, they aren't the same as the diagrams that Joe Cab posted elsewhere on the BB.

There were actually many manufacturers who had wheels in the 4 X 108mm sizing in the '60s and '70s, some of whom were US companies, like the gorgeous American Racing Wheels used by some GTV racers.

They are interesting wheels and were probably made around the late '70s, or early '80s when lace 'BBS-Style' wheels were most popular...but that's just a guess.

Cheers,

#23 ·
What kind of wheels are these

I would be willing to bet that they are Ronals. I had a set that looked exactly like them on a Honda Accord back in 1985. They are a knock-off of the then popular BBS wheel.

The clue is the way that the cast aluminum mesh and the spun aluminum wheel appear to be completely seperate elements. In the front wheel drive application of the Honda, the cast piece was almost sticking flush with the face of the rim.

You also might find a JM cast into the wheel. Mine had that, but no other branding.

#26 ·
I don't think that I, or any of the other US folks can help you there, Firebird. Perhaps some of our European or Asian members can help?

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.