Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Suggestions & Comments about AlfaBB (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/suggestions-comments-about-alfabb/)
-   -   Make it mandatory to list member location (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/suggestions-comments-about-alfabb/684540-make-mandatory-list-member-location.html)

divotandtralee 08-09-2019 05:05 AM

Make it mandatory to list member location

There should be a box like most websites have that must be filled in before a member can build a profile and post... THE LOCATION of the POSTER! ..at least his country or in the case of the US and Canada, state or province. It really comes into play especially in the For Sale/Wanted forums and is constantly left blank creating unnecessary "Where are you?" questions.

Alfajay 08-09-2019 07:13 AM

A great idea, but better discussed in the "AlfaBB Staff to AutoGuide Forum Support" section. Posts there are read by the people who own and operate the Alfa BB. What you are proposing would require some programming changes to the software behind the BB.

divotandtralee 08-09-2019 07:46 AM

I would expect Moderators to play a role other than moderation of language and whatever else they moderate.

ITALCAROZ 08-09-2019 09:46 PM

couldn't agree more. i'm in Australia and it seems most posters of items for sale just assume you know where they are, or just assume that everyone is in the states. this is an international community.

cheers ian

Gordon Raymond 08-10-2019 09:07 AM

Them by Country, Continent or exactly how close? Some specific address information may create privacy issues.
Opinions?

divotandtralee 08-10-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond (Post 8451500)
Them by Country, Continent or exactly how close? Some specific address information may create privacy issues.
Opinions?

95% of the people who leave it off don't even realize it.. I don't know of anyone who has placed an ad without a location who refused to fess up to the question of where he is when asked for it. E-bay and Craiglist would be totally useless without it and there are no hold harmless clauses with them. Aren't you making something into nothing with even the notion it could go to litigation, Gordo?

lawrencedesigns 08-10-2019 10:03 AM

I agree. Very often that information is critical to how you might give advice, or respond to a post.
There are so many that make up some "silly" location that they seem to think is funny.
What are they trying to hide?

ghnl 08-10-2019 10:19 AM

Personal opinion (not speaking as a moderator), it would be a good idea for everyone to include their location. But rather than making it mandatory, why not just make a polite reply reminding folks of that?

Which reminds me, why do folks obscure their license plates when selling a car? Can't everybody see it while you're driving around?

kengta 08-10-2019 10:36 AM

I have a little more positive take on this. If someone doesn't want me to know where they are or who they are then I take that as an omen and maybe I don't want to do business with them or bother to help them. That is a positive isn't it?

Ciao

Ken

Subtle 08-10-2019 11:43 AM

Did not someone wise say?
"Location, location, location".
Well, it can apply to this site as well.
:)

divotandtralee 08-10-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengta (Post 8451538)
I have a little more positive take on this. If someone doesn't want me to know where they are or who they are then I take that as an omen and maybe I don't want to do business with them or bother to help them. That is a positive isn't it?

Ciao

Ken

Not really.. in brotherhood, Ken.. it is wasting bytes on the site and your and my frigging time.. Put mildly .. Save the planet and Alfa BB so they can uses less cyberspace on their COM--puter server by economizing BS. But lets just stretch the Global warming thing to infinity.. no leave it alone. This included. I am amazed it took This long to bring it to the BofD's attention.. Onward and upward. My wife is a Weight watcher greeter who is grinding on crap like this for $7000/year.. when she comes home. I gave her the white flag ...Life is very short for dealing with a bureaucracy.. I quit that 19 years ago.. lets get real. UNCLE ... I feel like Luke ( Cool Hand) getting his baseball glove tossed to him on the way to the HOLE. I'll be back!!! UNCLE

Gordon Raymond 08-10-2019 03:29 PM

Many of us don't care if others know we are from Illinois, Massachusetts, Arizona, Alaska, or even Canada, South America, Italy or wherever. Others, don't really want anyone to know they live on the North Pole or the moon, possibly other planets or maybe in just a different universe. Should we respect the privacy of those that don't want to share they might live somewhere odd, or private? (Area 51 comes to mind.)

Gubi 08-10-2019 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by divotandtralee (Post 8451046)
There should be a box like most websites have that must be filled in before a member can build a profile and post... THE LOCATION of the POSTER!

Spitfire 08-10-2019 04:21 PM

Pretty sure I just saw a 164 for sale in Connecticut, with an inquiry from Denmark. Equally as puzzling.

I suppose the more business conducted on here, the more important/convenient that information becomes.

Might turn off a lot of people by making it mandatory though.

divotandtralee 08-10-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubi (Post 8451646)

very productive.. I got it.. it's clear to me there is no use suggesting something so obviously positive taken as a negative to this group.. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this was controversial ...Sad. It's not a surprise we have more "lurkers' than contributors. Who would think it? Poster noted... Thank you.. that made my day.......