Make it mandatory to list member location - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm curious as to where a BB member lives.
It is a courtesy to include it.
Even if it is something like "southern Iowa".
Or, Charley's Ankle, Saskatchewan.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:44 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I am amazed it took This long to bring it to the BofD's attention..
You are assuming that the moderators aren't reading your posts. We are reading them and we have discussed what you posted.

Remember the proverb that goes something like, "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar"? Posting something like this is more vinegar than honey.

Quote:
I would expect Moderators to play a role other than moderation of language and whatever else they moderate.
It irks me to no end to not know where something is located when something is advertised for sale. Every person that joins the AlfaBB has the right not to share their location, publicly. Most don't post their name in their signature. I consider it a right to privacy thing.

Quote:
very productive.. I got it.. it's clear to me there is no use suggesting something so obviously positive taken as a negative to this group.. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this was controversial ...Sad. It's not a surprise we have more "lurkers' than contributors. Who would think it? Poster noted... Thank you.. that made my day.......
I personally feel that your suggestion is an excellent one. I speak for all of the moderators when I say thank you for the suggestion.

There is no controversy, here. I did not see any replies that would be considered negative. We cannot force someone to list their location. If the field is made mandatory, how are we to know that the person will be honest about their location.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Garage
Okay, here's a compromise...

How about only in for sale/wanted it's mandatory?

As it should be. I don't wanna click on an ad to find out what I want is in outer Mongolia.
Save me the hassle.

And if I'm posting a wanted ad, don't make the guy from somewhere around the globe click on it unless he really wants to. Many people don't care to do things internationally.

If you're buying/selling on BB,you're gonna identify yourself to complete the transaction, right?

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

Mandatory is too harsh.Encouragement is fine.
Even if one's location is vague such as "Northern Europe".

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
Mandatory is too harsh.Encouragement is fine.
Even if one's location is vague such as "Northern Europe".
How about mandatory vague then?

Once again, if they're gonna be completing a sale, REAL details will have to be known at some point, right?

So, why all this secret squirrel stuff in the beginning?

Try listing something on ebay or craigslist with no location....

Most forums require a minimum of 10 constructive posts before a person can list things for sale. BB doesn't have that. That's cool.

But you can't PM on BB til you do. Ain't that a pisser.

The Classifieds need some tweaking. No doubt. It's not fair that existing members/contributors must continually ask for location!!

Where else in the world can you offer stuff for sale at a profit and remain in secret squirrel status?

We at least need something more defining than "planet earth" to see if we're interested in dealing with someone.
We're not asking for race, religion, color, sexual preference. Just their frickin location!!

Last edited by slowcreek; 08-11-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 AM

I agree that when you sell something that the buyer should send a PM for further information but, I do not believe that you need to say where the parts are located. I live in Los Angeles but, the parts may be in another part of the US.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Garage
Why would a person who is selling something NOT WANT a potential buyer to know the part's location?

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
When something is posted for sale or in search of...if it isn't listed in the sidebar where they are, then the inevitable question follows: "Where are you?" Then you wait for the response.

I might want to sell an automatic transmission that weighs a 100 lbs. I would post where I live and let a potential buyer decide if they want to come to get it or pay the going rate for freight to Tim-buk-tu.

It really comes down to being transparent enough to post the location of cars and parts just as a courtesy to the BB members.
slowcreek likes this.

Christopher

www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
When something is posted for sale or in search of...if it isn't listed in the sidebar where they are, then the inevitable question follows: "Where are you?" Then you wait for the response.

I might want to sell an automatic transmission that weighs a 100 lbs. I would post where I live and let a potential buyer decide if they want to come to get it or pay the going rate for freight to Tim-buk-tu.

It really comes down to being transparent enough to post the location of cars and parts just as a courtesy to the BB members.
Courtesy? how about good common sense?
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Courtesy? how about good common sense?
A few examples how other forums do it:

Simple rules to understand before posting.

First and foremost, no warnings. We will now delete your post if you break a rule. You will receive no pm. If you can't find your ad you need to check back here to figure out why.

1: It is required to have a 25 post count to post a for sale ad. If post count is not 25 the ad will be removed and a pm will be sent. Please don't be a **** if you get a pm. We are just doing our job.

2: Please post a price, location, try to give as much info as you can, and try to get pics up. Pics help anything sell. People on the app can't see price or location in the heading. So post it in the ad.

3: You can link to YOUR craigslist ad only, or link to a build thread you have posted here. It is HIGHLY suggested you also do what's listed in rule #2, however.

4: no bumping, tt'ing, etc.

5: If not interested move on. No need to give negative input.

6: If a mod gives you advice on your ad, either take it positively or take it with a grain of salt. They're just trying to help.

7: If it sold..... post that its sold! Or, mark for deletion by the mods.

Next one:

Classifieds
The For Sale and Wanted sections are for club members and require a minimum of ten legitimate posts across the site to use. 10 "nice truck!" posts don't count.
Name a price for your item if you're selling something. Guess on a price if you have to. This is to promote openness and to keep weasels from playing members against each other. If you're parting out a whole truck, you don't need to list every little thing, but you must list prices for the larger items.
State where in the world the item is. Put it in the title non-compliance = your ad gets deleted!
When the item sells, put "SOLD!" in the title.
ZIP Codes can go in the description if needed.
Be nice to each other. :cheers: (and that includes no publicly denouncing someone's price. If you want to inform them that their price is too high, please do it in a PM.)
Recommendations:

Write a descriptive title.
Have lots of pictures (come on now, no whining. Digi-cameras are dirt cheap these days and host sites like facebook, picturetrail.com or photobucket.com are free).
Take a decent picture. Prop the camera on something to steady it if indoors, keep the sun at your back if outdoors. Don't be afraid to get closer to the item so it fills the frame better.
It would be really nice if the buyer and seller could add a short post after the conclusion of the transaction telling others if it was good or bad.
It would also be nice if everyone added a post saying "PM sent" to the thread so as to reduce the chance that some one can swindle a higher price.
If there is ever a dispute, try to iron it out politely and have some patience (remember that not everyone on the planet has access to the internet every day). If there is still a problem, let me know in a PM.

Last edited by slowcreek; 08-14-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:51 PM

"1: It is required to have a 25 post count to post a for sale ad. If post count is not 25 the ad will be removed and a pm will be sent. Please don't be a **** if you get a pm. We are just doing our job."

What is this nonsense... If I had an incredible Alfa for sale and I wasn't a regular poster, but wanted to list it on this site because I knew there were a few real Alfists on the site, but no I can't post a classified because I don't have enough posts.... sounds pretty ridiculous..

And as far as listing my location, I have no problem with that, I've got nothing to hide... I don't even see that in my settings and I'm not going to spend hours trying to figure it out... I probably don't have enough posts yet to have that ability to post my location... hilarious.... the sad part is that it is probably true!

Last edited by ossodiseppia; 08-14-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

This is NOT current BB policy. This is a member suggestion to avoid problems with sellers that attempt to rip-off BB members. Check the "stickies" on the wanted and for sale threads.
This thread deals with "member-location" so buyers and sellers might know where the part they need is located.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB101 View Post
"1: It is required to have a 25 post count to post a for sale ad. If post count is not 25 the ad will be removed and a pm will be sent. Please don't be a **** if you get a pm. We are just doing our job."

What is this nonsense... If I had an incredible Alfa for sale and I wasn't a regular poster, but wanted to list it on this site because I knew there were a few real Alfists on the site, but no I can't post a classified because I don't have enough posts.... sounds pretty ridiculous..

And as far as listing my location, I have no problem with that, I've got nothing to hide... I don't even see that in my settings and I'm not going to spend hours trying to figure it out... I probably don't have enough posts yet to have that ability to post my location... hilarious.... the sad part is that it is probably true!
I HIGHLIGHTED IN LARGER FONT the point I wanted to make using 2 examples of other car forums. I think the post count is a crappy deal on the forums I took those clips from. I much prefer the no post count required rule on BB.

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:28 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I have checked with the Autoguide support staff and asked about making a custom template specifically for the Classified section. The template would have some required fields, one of which is location.

The answer was that it could not be done.

So, there is no way to make someone post their location. We can suggest it all day long, but we can't force someone.

If we make a sticky and post it in every forum in the Classified section, there is still no way to guarantee someone will post their location.

If one of you folks wants to police the Classified section and ask folks to post their location, please feel free to do so. But, please, be nice about it.

Thank you all for the suggestion.

Brian __________________________________

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 AM

Garage
How about this?

Thanks for your post.

In order for you to gain the maximum benefit in selling what you have, or finding what you're looking for, please post your location.

Remember: The Alfa Bulletin Board is used and enjoyed by members and enthusiasts worldwide.
ghnl and Gordon Raymond like this.

Last edited by slowcreek; 08-15-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode