alfabb: most annoying website ever - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
alfabb: most annoying website ever

Ok, I get it, the owner of the AlfaBB wants the monetize the site.

And some of my problems are because I use software that protects my privacy and I try to duck advertising. Yes, I run a pi-hole and uBlock Origin. Yes, I deny third party cookies. And, Yes, I know how to whitelist things.

But NO other site I use has this many problems. And I use a good number of forums.

Fix the pictures, stop the flashing ads, and fix whatever caused all the server errors this afternoon (that one really doesn't look like my configuration.)

Frankly, the management should migrate the alfabb away from the horrible "autoguide" place.

I've been a member since 2004, and this place is a drag now. I'll be looking for a better Alfa Forum. Heck, I'd rather post on the evil FB than deal with the idiosyncrasies of this autoguide thing.

PS: I paid in the past for an upgraded membership. And I pay for some other forums I belong to. I believe in supporting web sites I appreciate. And I might consider upgrading my AlfaBB membership again. But not while all these problems persist.
aTOMic and MickeyH like this.

Il Razzo: mio 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:32 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
Frankly, the management should migrate the alfabb away from the horrible "autoguide" place.
Thank you for your comments.

I am not sure what you hope to accomplish with your post. I have been off and on the AlfaBB all day and have not had any issues.

Just so you know, Autoguide=management=ownership.

If you are experience some technical issues, the proper forum to post is here:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...elp-autoguide/

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Thank you for your comments.
I am not sure what you hope to accomplish with your post. I have been off and on the AlfaBB all day and have not had any issues.
Just so you know, Autoguide=management=ownership.
Yes, it seems to be working again, possibly the server problems were just a very short term thing.

I'm not a frequent visitor anymore, and a bunch of that is because every time I visit the site is a miserable experience.

If the site really is owned by autoguide... was that always true? What a horrible shame.

Lots of GREAT people and info here, and one of the worst websites.

What do I want to accomplish? To let whoever runs the place know that I think the site is designed badly. And to let others who are frustrated know they aren't alone.

server errors
picture problems
slow loading
flashing ads
narrow pages and giant top advert space
etc.

Il Razzo: mio 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
Yes, it seems to be working again, possibly the server problems were just a very short term thing.

I'm not a frequent visitor anymore, and a bunch of that is because every time I visit the site is a miserable experience.

If the site really is owned by autoguide... was that always true? What a horrible shame.

Lots of GREAT people and info here, and one of the worst websites.

What do I want to accomplish? To let whoever runs the place know that I think the site is designed badly. And to let others who are frustrated know they aren't alone.

server errors
picture problems
slow loading
flashing ads
narrow pages and giant top advert space
etc.
The design has not changed for as long as I can remember. The site has always used the same software, Vbulletin. I am sure there have been numerous software updates since you joined in 2004.

Other members who have not paid for a subscription don't seem to be sharing your experience or, they aren't commenting.

Paying for a subscription might just change things for you. You won't be exposed to the ads. The company that owns this site is in the business to make money. Thus, the ads.

The AlfaBB is THE place to go for information. There is no better place on the planet for help and information on classic Alfa Romeos.

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
This is a great site for Alfisti. End of story.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Strange...I don't see any of the issues you experience. Was this with a paid membership? When I was not with paid membership I was experiencing the pop-ups and annoying ads....but not after upgrading to a paid membership.
johndewaele likes this.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:22 AM
I'm with y'all - I've never had any problems with this site in 15 years of use. And frankly even if I did I would gut it out to get to the wealth of information and helpful members. Good luck getting that from Facebook...
1750GT, johndewaele and Aggie57 like this.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
Strange...I don't see any of the issues you experience. Was this with a paid membership? When I was not with paid membership I was experiencing the pop-ups and annoying ads....but not after upgrading to a paid membership.
We are running a test to see if a subscription changes things for him. It's valid for a month. If he notices improvement in his experience, then he can purchase a subscription.

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

No problems for me.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

It has been a pain for me today. Database error messages, long delays, takes several attempts to send a PM. It is a hit and miss experience.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 AM

Whatever the issues...this website provides a wealth of information and a great connection to the "Alfa Community."
My only issue is the "10 second rule." More often than not I will click an icon...and nothing appears to happen..Click again..and I'm immediately scolded about waiting 10 seconds. Try again in....
Small price to pay for such a valuable service

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Significant technical issues have been my experience for quite some time. Overall, the value of the site clearly outweighs the trouble, but it would be nice if it worked better. BTW - I am a paid subscriber. I do use a Mac, but the problem persists with the Chrome, Safari & Firefox browsers.

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:52 AM

The forum doesn't give me much trouble, but people who are long-time members may not appreciate that this is what ossodiseppia's signature looks like when you're not logged in.

vintageveloce likes this.

1976 Spider
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:16 PM

For several years now I've used an up-to-date Firefox with AdBlocker installed. This combination works exceptionally well, allowing me to, usually, log onto the site without difficulty. Occasionally, however, there are abysmally long wait-time problems. Of late these seem to occur when I link to the site from my Earthlink mail server. These are not common enough to be chronic and I attribute this to the site management's efforts to keep things running smoothly. My recommendation: use a good Ad blocker and you should be ok.

I notice that a lot of sites are turning to Ad blocker nag notices or are prohibiting access unless you also allow their cookies and ads to show. Although this appears to be a trend in internet based advertising, I'd like to urge the BB powers-that-be to avoid this at all costs. The bb has always been a unique place because of its robust user community. Retail advertising avarice can ruin things.
aTOMic likes this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
For several years now I've used an up-to-date Firefox with AdBlocker installed. This combination works exceptionally well, allowing me to, usually, log onto the site without difficulty. Occasionally, however, there are abysmally long wait-time problems. Of late these seem to occur when I link to the site from my Earthlink mail server. These are not common enough to be chronic and I attribute this to the site management's efforts to keep things running smoothly. My recommendation: use a good Ad blocker and you should be ok.

I notice that a lot of sites are turning to Ad blocker nag notices or are prohibiting access unless you also allow their cookies and ads to show. Although this appears to be a trend in internet based advertising, I'd like to urge the BB powers-that-be to avoid this at all costs. The bb has always been a unique place because of its robust user community. Retail advertising avarice can ruin things.
This prompted me to experiment a little. I opened this page using the "Brave" browser (really, that's the name of it) which intrinsically blocks all ad calls (and I think javascript, but I don't remember exactly).

The page loaded immediately (like right bloody NOW) and the browser notified my that 13 ad calls and/or trackers were blocked. Replying to this message resulted in blocking another 11. Seems like the problem is excessive and/or incompatible calls.

No idea how this works for a non-paying member.
aTOMic likes this.

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode