alfabb: most annoying website ever - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
(edit: I'll note, with these other web addresses blocked, I cannot see the attached image below myself!)
Allow traffic from verticalscope.com to see the pictures.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The only problem I've ever had (and I'm a premium member and intend to remain one forever), is that it doesn't work in safari on my iPhone. It starts to load right and then goes into a weird sort of stretchy picture display where you can't see anything. Is there a mobile site in the works? I really appreciate everything the moderators do, and this is the most invaluable resource out there for Alfa owners. Perhaps I am doing something wrong on my phone that is causing the website to glitch?

Jonathan
1992 164S, 1974 GTV, 1967 Saab 96, 1969 Jaguar XKE Coupe
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM

I am a paid member because I do not like ads. I also use an ad blocker and donate to sites I like because I know they need money to stay on the internet. I know that you have to pay for information and my internet connect bill reminds me every month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM

ive been here since may of 2003, when it was ran by Simon and Anthony. i believed when it change over server or software in or from toronto a long while ago thats when all the technical issues appeared. its usability and delay was noticeably worse immediately. that happen to lamborghini-talk as well with the Canadian software/server or whatever.

it is the most troublesome glitchy auto forum im a member of. trying to use it on an iphone is an absolute nightmare. having said that, its the best alfa site for me personally with a fantastic and mostly cordial group of enthusiast.

Last edited by davbert; 06-18-2019 at 04:04 PM.
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:14 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Gee there is a lot of unnecessary whinging going on here ... first world issues ...

- For those with an Apple phone, blame the phone not the site.
- I have very few problems and I'm not even a subscriber (shame on me, but I do try to help others instead). I mainly use my Samsung phone of Chrome now. Yes occasionally an ad takes over and requires closing before I can continue. It consumes about 30 seconds of my time, at most, and that is hardly important time because I've taken a break from real life anyway.

The site is by far the best Alfa centric site on the internet. Please guys and girls, don't whinge so much that the person doing the hard work says "stuff it" and gives up, then we all lose. Not everything in the world is designed just for YOU, so some common sense and compromise is required ...
Pete
gprocket likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 06-18-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
it is the most troublesome glitchy auto forum im a member of. trying to use it on an iphone is an absolute nightmare. having said that, it best alfa site for me personally with a fantastic and mostly cordial group of enthusiast.
Exactly.

Understand this: Even if you pay a subscriber fee, VerticalScope is monetizing you in every way they can. YOU, the user of the site, are the PRODUCT that is sold to other companies.
The way that VerticalScope does this tracking and selling of your info is why the site often works poorly.

Lots of places do this well and pleasantly enough for the subscribers, VerticalScope does not.

Like almost everyone here, I think the people and content on the AlfaBB are GREAT.

But that doesn't mean we can't complain about how poorly the web site is constructed by the VerticalScope overlords.
They may not listen to the complaints, but if we don't complain there is no hope for improvement.

Il Razzo: mio 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Last edited by vintageveloce; 06-18-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
Exactly.

Understand this: Even if you pay a subscriber fee, VerticalScope is monetizing you in every way they can. YOU, the user of the site, are the PRODUCT that is sold to other companies.
They way that VerticalScope does this tracking and selling of your info is why the site often works poorly.

Lots of places do this well and pleasantly enough for the subscribers, VerticalScope does not.

Like almost everyone here, I think the people and content on the AlfaBB are GREAT.

But that doesn't mean we can't complain about how poorly the web site is constructed by the VerticalScope overlords.
They may not listen to the complaints, but if we don't complain there is no hope for improvement.
The way the modern world operates, VerticalScope has probably sold my fingerprints and blood type by now. :-)
post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:15 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni123456 View Post
I am a paid member because I do not like ads. I also use an ad blocker and donate to sites I like because I know they need money to stay on the internet. I know that you have to pay for information and my internet connect bill reminds me every month.

I am sorry, you are not a subscriber. If you were, you would have a small banner below your member name that indicates the level of your membership. If you look below my member name, you'll see Platinum Subscriber.

Brian __________________________________

post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Gee there is a lot of unnecessary whinging going on here ... first world issues ...

- For those with an Apple phone, blame the phone not the site.
- I have very few problems and I'm not even a subscriber (shame on me, but I do try to help others instead). I mainly use my Samsung phone of Chrome now. Yes occasionally an ad takes over and requires closing before I can continue. It consumes about 30 seconds of my time, at most, and that is hardly important time because I've taken a break from real life anyway.
Pete

I’ve don’t have any real issues with my iPhone with other sites so why just this one?

I don’t get much breaks in my real life

While you are using your Dixie cups and string the world moves forward...
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Pete

Iíve donít have any real issues with my iPhone with other sites so why just this one?
Doesn't work worth beans on my Android phone either, especially with Kiwi browser. (Which I recommend for everything else, its fabulous).

post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:15 PM

I have an android phone and it does not work well the bulletin. I always use my desktop when viewing and writing threads on the bulletin.
post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:54 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Pete

I’ve don’t have any real issues with my iPhone with other sites so why just this one?
Okay my hate of the iPhone has come through. My wife loves hers and when I'm asked to configure something I need a stiff drink or many ... but years ago I found it very difficult to post using our iPad. My current work Samsung does most of my AlfaBB viewing now and it works great.

Anyway I find it strange that so many have issues. I've installed nothing and just use Chrome or Explorer and have little issues. I will have blocked pop ups, but otherwise just use the site. And yes if you touch a computer somebody is recording what you do. If you don't want this, don't use a computer. Easy.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Okay my hate of the iPhone has come through. My wife loves hers and when I'm asked to configure something I need a stiff drink or many ... but years ago I found it very difficult to post using our iPad. My current work Samsung does most of my AlfaBB viewing now and it works great.

Anyway I find it strange that so many have issues. I've installed nothing and just use Chrome or Explorer and have little issues. I will have blocked pop ups, but otherwise just use the site. And yes if you touch a computer somebody is recording what you do. If you don't want this, don't use a computer. Easy.
Pete
So, do you tell your wife, "Just don't use your phone. Easy." ? - I suspect not.
Essentially, you are telling me that if I don't like it, I should leave without a complaint.
But no, I'd rather let the site know, and others that use it know about the issues.

I'm complaining about the site being *unusually* intrusive, spying and problematic. It's fine and good that you are satisfied with it.
But some of us have experienced that other sites are better and hope the AlfaBB would improve.

post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Never had a problem with this incredible and valuable website. It also works great on my Android phone.
post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 PM

I am certainly getting my moneys worth here.....

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode