alfabb: most annoying website ever - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
WOW! Been on this site for over 15 years and when we transitioned I had a few issues, but they were gone in days. Are you sure you're LOGGED IN?
I get ZERO adds. BUT I've had to change my password a few times to fix some issues that come up occasionally, and that always has fix the issues I've had.
Try that?

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
When I was not with paid membership I was experiencing the pop-ups and annoying ads
There are pop-ups too?

Il Razzo: mio 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Spider View Post
The forum doesn't give me much trouble, but people who are long-time members may not appreciate that this is what ossodiseppia's signature looks like when you're not logged in.
Obviously, the site is a business and they want to sell subscriptions.
But I think most of the apologists have upgraded memberships and are logged in all the time, so they see fewer of the presentation problems. They may also not use other sites, so they may not understand how much smoother things could be.

I just wanted to put this thread up here. It's the comment section, and seems like the right place for it.
But I did not realize the site was wholly owned by Autoguide... so it may not be fixable. They will only really care about the money.
I really thought that when I joined the AlfaBB wasn't an Autoguide property? I have vague memories of a transition at some point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:05 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I get Zero pop ups Zero adds, I swear!
Used many different computers, try my suggestion and write back. Use forgot my password option, you'll get a letter in 5 minutes, if you have your e-mail registered with the site and PLUNK in a new one and see what happens?

PEACE

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:09 PM

I have been a non-paying member for one year.
I know nothing about the gizmos used to block adds or to make the site less obtrusive and I know that the owner wants to profit from the same.
But, most definitely, this site is heavy with the adverts, specially the ones that interrupt you, or pop up.
It feels like trying to work while a cloud of mosquitoes bite you.

Still, I'm going to continue to use it because of the wealth of information found here.
What I would like to know is how other forums, even bigger than this, that I belong to, manage to make money with far less distractions, that's all.

I'll consider now to become a paying member if it is true that all the problems disappear.
aTOMic likes this.
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
This is a great site for Alfisti. End of story.
Pete
Yup. This site is great for alfisti's. No issues, ever. I have been on here since it began, the site design changed early 2000's and has stayed the same since. I don't think there has ever been issues with the site that I can remember. No issues like the other autoguide sites I have been on. This site is as solid as the community here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.

Last edited by Alfissimo Int.; 06-14-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
no issues here. Running Firefox and 2 ad blockers. So... I understand the Platinum status is temporary as a trial. Cool, does this mean his original complaint was from simply a registered user? ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Garage
Google Chrome and AdBlockerPlus. No issues.

I wish I didn't get scolded for posting too soon after a previous post though.

Other than that, it's somewhat slower than some other sites/forums.
aTOMic likes this.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 AM

I decided not to pay once the site was bought by a for-profit and use it mainly on my iPad, with safari and the pop-up blocker on. Apart from being slow to load at times it’s fine. Sure there are a few ads but that’s the price to pay and frankly my brain does most of the blocking for me....

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:53 AM
Sig

This site is by far the best for old Alfas and I am very greatful it exists, whoever the owner is. No issues here with both tapaltalk (mobile) and firefox/pop up blocker (Desktop PC). Also I do not have speed issues. It's all about your settings I guess.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
Obviously, the site is a business and they want to sell subscriptions.
But I think most of the apologists have upgraded memberships and are logged in all the time, so they see fewer of the presentation problems. They may also not use other sites, so they may not understand how much smoother things could be.
I don't think there are that many subscribers for the AlfaBB. I could look into the statistics. I think it's more about the ad revenue than it is the subscriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce View Post
I just wanted to put this thread up here. It's the comment section, and seems like the right place for it.
But I did not realize the site was wholly owned by Autoguide... so it may not be fixable. They will only really care about the money.
I really thought that when I joined the AlfaBB wasn't an Autoguide property? I have vague memories of a transition at some point.
When the AlfaBB first surfaced, it was owned and operated by three Alfisti. At some point after it's inception, the owners decided to sell. There have been some transition growing pains, but that is long behind us.

Autoguide owns and operates a huge number of automotive forums. Each has a similar look and feel to the AlfaBB. I'm sure that Autoguide gets more from the ad revenue than they do all of the subscriptions they sell.

Brian __________________________________

post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If you don't want the ads it pays in spades to subscribe. Subscription is peanuts compared to what you take away from the forum. Between this one and the other one I use for my Benz daily drivers I can't count how much cash and headache I have saved over the years. I want these guys to make money so that they will be around when I need them.

Nick S.

1974 Spider
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntvnyer View Post
If you don't want the ads it pays in spades to subscribe. Subscription is peanuts compared to what you take away from the forum. Between this one and the other one I use for my Benz daily drivers I can't count how much cash and headache I have saved over the years. I want these guys to make money so that they will be around when I need them.
Small price to pay, isn't it?

VALUE is most important.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Attached is a sample of the intrusive tracking done by the AlfaBB, this is WITH A PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP.
This is typical from visiting a single thread, and these kind of queries happen with every thread and page you visit on the AlfaBB, whether you have a paid subscription or not.
Blocking this stuff often causes problems with how the site functions, like whether the pictures display.

I'm a member of a bunch of other forums, most larger than the AlfaBB, and they just don't do this invasive stuff.

(edit: I'll note, with these other web addresses blocked, I cannot see the attached image below myself!)
Attached Images

post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM

Garage
Aside from all the bitching ...I wish I had ABB when I tore the Spica off my 72 (in 1974) CAUSE THE ***** WOULD NOT START...

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode