Cancelled my Stelvio Quad..... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Cancelled my Stelvio Quad.....

Talk about a big letdown.....

My dealer just notified me that my Stelvio Quad came in. However, just as I proceeded to start the paperwork, they told me that the Quad was not "leaseable".......meaning Alfa doesn't offer any lease options on the Stelvio Quad at the moment. Given that I generally don't like to buy 1st year models, esp. Alfa's with their questionable reliability, I was definitely NOT interested in financing it. Not only that, they marked up the MSRP by an extra $3,500! (which is kind of funny given how poorly Alfa's are selling).

Anyways, Motor Trend reviewed the Stelvio Quad recently. Although they praised the performance aspect saying that it was extremely fast, they also lambasted it for it's poor interior build quality (squeaks, rattles galore). Given these facts, why would Alfa force interested buyers to purchase or finance the car? Leasing such a car is the safer way to go, but I guess Alfa knows "better."
aTOMic likes this.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible; 2008 Ferrari F430 Spider; 2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano; 2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

This was the same scenario when the Giulia Quadrifoglio came out - Alfa didn't officially offer any leases on them for the first year. Chrysler Capital does not know how to write leases for this vehicle because they are so new to the market they don't know what the depreciation will be, and they don't want to get burned if it is more than they estimate. And they probably feel there is sufficient demand for the vehicle right now that they don't have to offer aggressive lease deals.

I am surprised your dealer didn't look for alternative leasing options other than factory financing for you, instead of simply stating a lease was not available. There are many other companies that banks and dealerships use for leases such as Ally Financial, and you can probably get your own bank and/or credit union to arrange a lease as well. You can, literally, lease anything from a new car to a million dollar collector car.

Now, of course most factory lease deals are heavily subsidized, and you may lose that aspect if you lease with a 3rd party company but the option is still there for you.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab View Post
This was the same scenario when the Giulia Quadrifoglio came out - Alfa didn't officially offer any leases on them for the first year. Chrysler Capital does not know how to write leases for this vehicle because they are so new to the market they don't know what the depreciation will be, and they don't want to get burned if it is more than they estimate. And they probably feel there is sufficient demand for the vehicle right now that they don't have to offer aggressive lease deals.

I am surprised your dealer didn't look for alternative leasing options other than factory financing for you, instead of simply stating a lease was not available. There are many other companies that banks and dealerships use for leases such as Ally Financial, and you can probably get your own bank and/or credit union to arrange a lease as well. You can, literally, lease anything from a new car to a million dollar collector car.

Now, of course most factory lease deals are heavily subsidized, and you may lose that aspect if you lease with a 3rd party company but the option is still there for you.
I actually did brought up the possibility of 3rd party leasing options, but the dealer was giving me the impression that they wanted to really sell the car to the highest bidder. (hence the markup)

I really do like the Stelvio Quad, but I'm not that desperate to be taken for a ride. I can wait. Besides, early reviews about the bad build quality has me a bit concerned right now. It might be smarter to wait a couple years to see how the model progresses. Maybe in a couple years, you can pick up a Quad for half the price given the terrible depreciation of Italian cars.
aTOMic likes this.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible; 2008 Ferrari F430 Spider; 2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano; 2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
I actually did brought up the possibility of 3rd party leasing options, but the dealer was giving me the impression that they wanted to really sell the car to the highest bidder. (hence the markup)
I get that, it's human nature to try and make a quick profit when a new car is in high demand, but IMHO it is a short sighted strategy on the dealer's part.

For example I know a couple of dealers that charged huge markups on the first 4Cs that were available, and in the process really turned off some loyal Alfisti. In contrast, dealers who sold their initial 4C allocations at MSRP stand a good chance of selling a Giulia or a Stelvio to the same customer.

You are probably right - you'll be able to pick up a Stelvio Quad next year without all the games.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:11 PM

Sounds to me like you’d pretty much already decided not to take the car from the reviews. Which is your perogative of course.
Vsix, Cobralfa and howndog like this.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
... Maybe in a couple years, you can pick up a Quad for half the price given the terrible depreciation of Italian cars.
Italians certainly aren't alone in that arena. My buddy is selling his near mint 2009 750Li, +$80k new. I was shocked to see the going rate for that car is under $5k...
cuorealfa likes this.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:39 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Amazing. Do they want to shift cars or fail again? Shocking IMO.

Wonder what Sweater man will think of this if and when he finds out?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

I drove over to Shreveport recently and drove a Stelvio and I was impressed with how quiet it was. Granted it wasn't a Quad but it was quick and tight with near zero rear vision. The interior was nice and although it wasn't super RR luxurious it was tasteful and well done. As far as a Quad Stelvio I gotta agree with Clarkson on this one, why have a slower and worse handling crazy expensive Quad option when the Giulia has it in spades. But hey, I get it. Assuming they weren't fudging the numbers they said they'd sold 15 cars in the last month. If you know the Shreveport/Bossier market that's not to bad.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Gold Subscriber

That Alfa interiors are poor quality thing that some reviewers come up with is complete bs. They are just trying to make up some sort of fault because they think it balances the review. We have two year 2000 156s, one 20004 GT, one 2007 147 and a 2007 159 in our family and there are no problems with the interiors of any of them. I also have a pair of 2007 GT front seats in my Range Rover classic and they are perfect. Alfa make just about the most comfortable seats you can get in a car too.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), son’s girlfiend’s car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (son’s new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:41 PM

My sister just bought a new Stelvio but, it wasn't the QV version. I really would like to buy the Giulia QV Coupe.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Seats are great . . Especially the Sports versions with giant bolsters. . . I would avoid it if you are a wide person!

As far as interior quality, seems pretty typical for current market of $40k cars . . . for cars in the $80k range? Maybe not so much

Pedro Playa
'73 GTV
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Not sure about poor interior quality.
I drive Stelvio, absolutely nothing wrong with interior...
pinshaw likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Garage
I own one and love it and laugh at reviews where the worst thing they pick on is the turn indicator or av knob. Coming from a M5, it s been fun, easy, comfortable with zero issues. Sure the values will take a hit and am banking on 4Cs with high miles darkening my garage door in the future as it will as timeless as my 67 GTV is now. So glad to see that the emotion hasnt left Alfa's dna in teh new versions, its the main reason I have them in my life vs everything else.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinshaw View Post
I own one and love it and laugh at reviews where the worst thing they pick on is the turn indicator or av knob. Coming from a M5, it s been fun, easy, comfortable with zero issues. Sure the values will take a hit and am banking on 4Cs with high miles darkening my garage door in the future as it will as timeless as my 67 GTV is now. So glad to see that the emotion hasnt left Alfa's dna in teh new versions, its the main reason I have them in my life vs everything else.
I like the way you think!

Jason Minos

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:08 PM

I went to pick up my Stelvio from dealer after mechanic broke windshield when they were fixing some recall issue... I could wrote full page of issues and funny stories with Maserati dealership (not the car itself), it goes beyond my understanding how poorly they treat customers. After third attempt to pick up the car I asked if I can get Q as replacement car, I was told they don't allow customer to test drive it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode