2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX

Last edited by not2old4toys; 01-07-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 07:44 AM

I've seen that video also and I think the Velar used in that comparison was a diesel if I'm not mistaken. That explains why it was so much slower than the Stelvio. I think a Velar equipped with the super-charged V6 will be much faster (at least as fast as the Stelvio). There is no doubt however, that the Velar has a much better interior and features. That dual-screen infotainment system is definitely awesome.

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible; 2008 Ferrari F430 Spider; 2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano; 2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
All of the available engines are listed.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"That dual-screen infotainment system is definitely awesome"

Dual screen infotainment system? Good grief, sounds almost more than we have in our house, lol. What's next, Imax, or a bar with dancing girls? So much for paying attention to the driving. The Feds are discussing banning or shutting off front seat infotainment screens in future cars, maybe allowed in only self driving vehicles.

As much as I really like the Tesla Model S, that huge screen I've seen in them is certainly a distraction, based on my experience when riding in that car. The driver said no problem, but then spent all his time playing with it.

Of course, if you have the money...

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:29 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Dual screen infotainment system? Good grief, sounds almost more than we have in our house, lol. What's next, Imax, or a bar with dancing girls?
How about Google Earth?
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Once in a rare while, I use a small GPS unit (no smart phone turned on in the car), or I should say, the rider does, giving me directions (as she usually does anyway, lol). If by myself, and using the GPS, it is set on the voice mode. Generally works, but if I get lost anyway, I pull over to look at an actual paper map (better overall view of the area).

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:45 AM

Name:  new-range-rover-velar-interior-view.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  27.5 KB

2013 Maserati GT MC Convertible; 2008 Ferrari F430 Spider; 2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano; 2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Yes the Range Rover was a diesel, so times would be closer.
I was just amazed how well the Stelvio did in the off road section.
While it is all wheel drive I really never thought of it in off road situaltions. Any off roading I do will be unplanned, but it is nice to know it has minimal capabilities.
No it did not do as well as the Range Rover, which I would have expected. Too bad the Stelvio ground height was not enough for phase III. That would have been interesting to see.
Cheers, Jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:04 PM

I get confused now at all the Land Rover / Range Rover models. Plus they all look the same. Nice inside though.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
I think a Velar equipped with the super-charged V6 will be much faster (at least as fast as the Stelvio).
with 250 hp Velar goes 6,7 s 0- 100 km/h

and Stelvio 280 hp 5.7 s

Stelvio 200 hp 7.2 s
Stelvio Q 3.8 s

if you choose any comparable engine Stelvio is always much faster because its much lighter car-

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:15 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
The new Top Gear did a Stelvio, Volvo something and Velar comparison ... I'm still laughing. They broke 2 Volvo's jumping them ... the engine mounts broke, but they got just as much air with the Stelvio and nothing broke, and I mean huge air ... thought they were going to roll! Interestingly they did not jump the Velar as high, is that because it's an English program and they didn't want to risk breaking their car?

Anyway the conclusion was that the Stelvio was a very strong car and thankfully (I was waiting for it to happen) it did not break or break down. The horse trailer came off but that was because he didn't put it on properly. I was pissed about that but I'm sure Volvo are more pissed about their 2 cars failing ... LOL

I hate SUV's but my wife likes being up a little higher but then she also likes the 156v6, but to me the Stelvio is not ugly (they need to sell either just a FWD or RWD version for people like me that do not need 4WD and have to pay for their own fuel) and I enjoyed that program
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode