short block or rebuilt engines available from alfa vendors? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

short block or rebuilt engines available from alfa vendors?

Any Alfa vendors selling short blocks or rebuilt engines?

Looking for a 2 liter engine for a 74 GTV.

Thanks

Alex
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 01:04 PM

Alex-
What is the intended use of the car? There is a race-prepped 2 liter for sale in the parts section by George Willets. Or, you could have an engine built by Wes at Ingram Enterprises to whatever specifications you desire. Or are you just looking for an inexpensive, unrebuilt replacement engine? Of course, the downside is shipping from the West coast out to you...you'll have to figure in those costs to your decision.
HTH,
Pat

Pat Hood
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Pat;

I checked with George Willets and his is sold.

The intent is to either rebuild the existing for street use or buy one from an established builder.

Head and pistons/sleeves, and cam. That is the intent. Crank seems to be OK.

Just don't know costs of one versus the other. (buy/rebuild) or availability.

Thanks for your help.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:56 PM

Alex-
Personally, when it was time for me to make this decision, I chose to rebuild because you have control over the outcome, can tailor it to your intent, and know what you're getting. Unless you can listen to a donor engine run and do some diagnostics in the car before it is taken out, you will never really know what condition it is in. I think you could probably get a stock rebuild for around 6k, with new Pistons and Liners, new cams, a fresh head, rebuilt pump. (Dependent upon which era car you have.) Obviously, a rarer, older engine will go for more. My next rebuild will probably be a 1600 or a 1300, and I shudder to think what it will set me back. Talk to Wes, maybe. (206) 762-3931 or [email protected]. Good guy, very helpful, THE master of Spica, races a GTV.
HTH,
CarPoor Pat

Pat Hood
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 05:25 PM

My 1600

I bought an Engine off Ebay and had Eriminas in Connecticut rebuild it. The seller delivered the engine and I picked it up. He did a reat job, only problem is now I have a 1600 in my basement with nothing to put it in! He will install, ship it back to you or your shop.

Al
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:53 AM

Garage
Hey Al, check out this post in the testing area: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...3559#post83559

[B]'91 Spider Veloce[/B]

[I]"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do."[/I] - Mark Twain
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Supporting Vendor

I don't think many engine builders keep pre-built engines in stock, as almost every Alfa owner has different opinions about what they want in an engine and how to achieve those goals.

But, most good rebuilders will have a few engine cores on hand, so after a discussion with the customer they can get to work building an engine, then ship it to the customer when built. This saves down time and can be a really nice way to go.

The engine builder I recommend most highly is Rex Chalmers of AlfaSport.

http://www.alfarex.com/

Joe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:55 PM

How about the South African Engine Option!?

Strong US dollar gives you mucho bang down there...

The same legendary Alfa engine builder - Dawie de Villiers of Glenwood Motors fame - who built our two 3.7 litre 24 valve V6 monsters, is now building me 4 x 4-bangers, complete with Carrillo forged steel connecting rods, Ross forged aluminium alloy pistons, nitrated cranks, custom billet cams, 45 DCOEs etc etc to go SOVREN racing....

How about he builds you a screaming T-Spark 8 valve 2.0 running a stand-alone engine management system, with Electronic Fuel Injection and 4 individual throttle bodies, 2.5 litre V6 injectors, ligtened flywheel, internally balanced components, custom steel ring-inserts in the tops of the piston liners - whatever you want....

He installs ALL of his motors in a test-mule first, dyno tunes it and then ships... Great guy, great prices, very experienced racer too!!!

He is currently finishing up a Turbo-charged 2.0, 8 valve 4-plug based on a 159 engine (has a variable cam gear) and all sorts of other goodies...

Call me at 425.941.4747 or email me at [email protected]

Full-Race 6-Speed Getrag 3.7 Litre 24v Milano; 1993 155 TS 2.0; 1999 24 Valve 3.0 916 GTV; 1995 164Q; 1987 Milano Verde; 1966 GTV Stepnose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode