Door lock problem spider 115 type 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By vf31rhill
  • 1 Post By ebbr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Door lock problem spider 115 type 3

I own a Spider 'type 3' 2.0 QV (1989 last one off the series).

The key to lock the door on the driverssite always went a bit different then the otherside (Feels less 'thight' when locking or unlocking).

But last week I putted the key in the doorlock and wanted to lock it but it just went around and around, and nothing happened. Can't lock it anymore.

Any-one know how to fix this, I rather won't replace the lock and end up with severall keys per door

GTV 916 V6 TB
Spider type 3 115 2.0QV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:59 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Could be the linkage rod that ties the lock to the latch mechanism has come off.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 AM

Think about a minuit, you have a soft top convertable, any time someone wants in, all they have to do is destroy the expensive top. why they put door locks on these cars is a mystery to me. as long as the trunk lock works, save some money and put valuables in the trunk.
cliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeh but when you put a Hardtop on it a keylock does make sense.

Latch has come of you said? Is this fixable, does someone allready has fixed this theirselve. Or does this mean the lock has to be changed. I'm not gonna do that different keys for contact and doors/tank/trunk is allready enough.

Anybody TIPS?

GTV 916 V6 TB
Spider type 3 115 2.0QV
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 AM

On the other end of the lock tumbler, there is a small nut or bolt (I can't remember which) which holds the tumbler in and also retains the offset piece of metal which swings up to "lock the door". Probably that small nut or bolt has worked out and now the tumbler is going round and round 360 degrees. The tumbler may even come out with the key if you try to lock the door with the key. It is really an easy fix, since the nut or bolt is still in the door case, if it fell out completely. Problem is that it is a large Pain In The A** to remove the door panel to access these pieces. There are pop out plastic retainers which hold the door panel on, around the edge of the panel, once you remove the up and down screws which secure the black arm rest/pull handle. The pop out plastic retainers are as likely to pull out of the back of the door panel as pop out of the metal door frame. They make large flat bladed upolstery panel tools, with a slot in the middle, just to pop out these plastic retainers without stressing the back of the fiber panel material. These are available in about any auto parts store, in the speciality tool and parts section. Once you have the panel off, it is easier to completely remove the outside door handle (2 nuts and 2 U clamps, and a very small rubber and bell crank lever to the inside handle. This bellcrank just pulls apart and pushes back together), do your repair while learning the layout, and then reinstall the handle assembly. Trying to do the repair while the handle is still installed, when you really don't know what you are doing, and your hands are working backwards in a 4 inch space, makes it REALLY challenging. On the back of the tumbler there is the nut or bolt, the offset metal lock piece, an end cap, and a small circular spring which provides the tension you feel when you turn the key. This tension is what makes the key come back to the neutral position. Be sure you locate all these pieces in the door case if the thing fell apart completely. If you don't have a breakdown photo or drawing of the door handle assembly, ask and someone on the BB will provide you with one. Finally lub the key cylinder with white lithium grease and use Locktite on the nut or bolt screw threads to keep the thing together and you from having to do this all again someday in the future.
Good Luck, Robert
alfabeach likes this.

Last edited by vf31rhill; 11-07-2008 at 08:39 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Robert for this fast and helpfull respons. I'll try it this weekend with you're tips. Will make foto's of pieces before I take parts of.

Nice Challange I supose, but did once succefuly remove the panel of my GTV to replace the el. window mechanism.

Grz Rene

GTV 916 V6 TB
Spider type 3 115 2.0QV
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Since we all know pictures is good, have a look at these threads for some photos of the door latch & door panels.

HELP! <explicative deleted> Door Handle Replacement

Interior Restoration (especially page 2)

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Has been a while (don't use the Spider winters)...fixed the doorlock.

I removed the doorpanel. Be aware that in front and back off the armbracket small nuts are to be losened. Click off all the clips of the panel and gently remove it.

It turned out to be a nutt off the lock on the inside which holds a rotating disc, which when turned locks a small handle to lock the door.
If you turn the key it's easy to see it. There is even a 'factory made' hole in the inside off the door to get to this nut (with a long screwdriver).

I fastened the nud and it functions well again (greased some lock stuf as well). I also fastened the one on the other door, now that I know the drill.

Easy to fix...
alfabeach likes this.

GTV 916 V6 TB
Spider type 3 115 2.0QV

Last edited by ebbr; 06-08-2009 at 03:42 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up Thank you - Very Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf31rhill View Post
On the other end of the lock tumbler, there is a small nut or bolt (I can't remember which) which holds the tumbler in and also retains the offset piece of metal which swings up to "lock the door". Probably that small nut or bolt has worked out and now the tumbler is going round and round 360 degrees. The tumbler may even come out with the key if you try to lock the door with the key. It is really an easy fix, since the nut or bolt is still in the door case, if it fell out completely.
Thank you so much. I'm a new Alfa S3 Spider (1989) owner and couldn't find any resources about the driver side lock and tumbler assembly. Your instructions were very helpful. So much so that I'm trying to complete a video of my efforts to help other Spider owners. I do very much appreciate it Robert.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode