Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Brake Roto upgrade

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  alfa of-corse 
#1 ·
I just found out I have a warpped rear break roto on my 84 spider. Due to this problem, I have been thinking of upgrading all my rotos performance cross drilled type.

Any pro or cons on these vs OEM. Anyfeedback would be helpful.

I found a kit through Centerline for $377.70 which inc the 4 rotos, carbon-metallic brake pads, and a set of braided stainless steel brake lines.

Looks like a pretty good deal.

Has anyone used this set? If so, how are they performing?

Additionally, how hard are they too install? I have done rotos on my old fiat x1/9 so I don't think it can be that much different.

Peace

G
#3 ·
I put the Centerline set on my spider this year, took a short time for the pads to set, also took a while to get used to not having to get on the brake pedal as early, Biggest difference is in fade, I take trips thru the mts of Va and WV, about 5 hrs of which is fast driving up and down the ridges, of rts 250 and 33 and down is curve after curve after curve, on the gas-on the brakes, again and again and again and the brakes simply don't fade, they are as strong at the end of the trip as they are at the start.

#5 ·
Have you had a problem with fade or something? Drilled rotors are not the ideal thing for a daily driver type car due to the fact that the rotors crack over time.
Also the Carbon-metallic pads are recomended to be used with regular "plain" discs, that is if you mean the Performance Friction pads.

G
#6 ·
I replaced all frt bearings at the same time, as they are inside the rotor and part of the assembly you are going to remove and replace, no need to take the rotor off at a later date to do the bearings, the rears are a straight replacement, an impact screw driver with a large bit is helpful, but you may want to change the e-brake pads at that time, if you don't want the car sitting while waiting for the pads and your not certain that the e-brakes pads are good you could order them before starting the job, nice to have everything laid out and ready to swap, including the right size cotter pins for the front and a can of brakekleen

G
#7 ·
someone will surely point out that you don't really need to even touch the frt bearings, in theory yes, but this is a 20 year old car, and it is assumed that you are upgrading the brakes because you driving is "spirited" and as such, you should at least inspect and repack them, and you already have the caliper removed, $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.