Spider improvement effort - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Engine and drivetrain arrived today......

After driving a Datsun 510 with a lower HP version of this motor and gearbox I ploped down the swap, and did the dee.
Bought a *** clip Nissan S15 Silvia with the SR20DE, 250 hp (187 kW) @6400 rpm and 275 Nm (203 ftlbf) @4800 rpm with an improved Inconel impeller wheel for its turbocharger. All the driveline, clutch, trans, will get inserted, along with the intercooler. All the electronics, are going to stay Nissan for a while. Only a increase in the boost is going to happen. Leaving this to the Nissan expert.
Needs an Alfa Cam Cover.
Shut UP. The New Alfa Motor is a GM!!!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 11-08-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

SR 20 Alfa Motor

The SR20DET Is going into the Alfa. It is a 250 HP sophisticated intercooled perfected system. Not a add on system.
Alfa suspension, that I will spread at the chassis, and have dropped spindles.
I had built a 4 disk 4.10 LSD , but this needs a 3.9 from a Spider with Auto Trans.
The Welded On hardtop from the Karman Ghia will be really nice, but the overall package will be a bit different.
I suppose I could have gone and bought a new GM Turbo from a Pontiac or Saturn and kept it a ALFA?
You Think??
No, For $2,000.00 got the whole package delivered to the door. Engine and all pieces y parts, clutch, trans, electronics, computer etc. The dollar ain`t dead if you don`t shop on line!
You have to have friends in the ROW!
The Alfa 2 liter engine, a 11.00 to one fully ported with RJR 1004 intakes and 1039 exhaust (not listed on commercial listings) fully balanced, ported manifold, 48 or 45 DCOEs, with aluminum flywheel, lightweight RJR aluminum clutch disk, Close ratio transmission with lightened gears is for sale!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 11-09-2008 at 06:00 PM.
post #33 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

I thought the automatic final drive was 3.7?

Otherwise--awesome.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 PM

pictures

It appears that you are going with the Ghia top. Do you have pictures with the top on and were you able to take pictures with the Z top? It would be nice to see the outline of both. You have some really good ideas!!
post #35 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Kg Top

The Top is about 80% fitted to my parts car at the shop at home. Will take pics as it gets closer.
The 240Z top was just too long & heavy.
Heres some progress pics:
A bit of Reversal, however
The Dark Side has not had enuf power to drag me into it! I just couldnt do it......... Sold the Nissan motor & Driveline to a buddy who "HAD" to have it!!
It was just too much of an "Abomination" that motor!
Now I think I can come up with a workable "lowerPressure" turbo system that should work blowing through the Weber carbs.... Right?????
7 to 8 lbs should be ok I would think... Should need some aftermarket needle & seats to run enuf fuel pressure to keep fuel in them or maybe floatless carbs?????. I have built them from DCOE`s and IDFs before.
What Else???
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 11-16-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Turboing the Alfa 4 Cyl.
post #36 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:13 AM

Garage
nice project there! so you've ditched the nissan engine, and sticking with an Alfa engine? Why not put in a twin spark from a 75 and turbo that? or even better still, a 16V twinspark engine from a 147, turbo of course? Something different...

i cavalli mai abbastanza, ed il peso sempre troppo...
post #37 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Duk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
The Dark Side has not had enuf power to drag me into it! I just couldnt do it......... Sold the Nissan motor & Driveline to a buddy who "HAD" to have it!!
It was just too much of an "Abomination" that motor!
Now I think I can come up with a workable "lowerPressure" turbo system that should work blowing through the Weber carbs.... Right?????
7 to 8 lbs should be ok I would think... Should need some aftermarket needle & seats to run enuf fuel pressure to keep fuel in them or maybe floatless carbs?????. I have built them from DCOE`s and IDFs before.
What Else???
Richard, you bloody hoon , if it's outright grunt from a turbo 4 there isn't anything you can't buy for the SR20det to turn it into a monster.
Oh well.
Having said that, blow thru Weber turbo are old school cool and are the only way to ever mention turbos and carbies in the same breath
Floatless carbies??? Please explain.
Other fun challenges are sealing the throttle shafts so the can hold boost pressure and good control of the ignition timing. Maybe a Megasquirt controlling just the ignition timing with a 3 dimensional map + inlet air temp compensation

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
post #38 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Floatless Webers & Turbo For the 2 liter Nord

[QUOTE][Having said that, blow thru Weber turbo are old school cool and are the only way to ever mention turbos and carbies in the same breath
Floatless carbies??? Please explain.
Other fun challenges are sealing the throttle shafts so the can hold boost pressure and good control of the ignition timing. Maybe a Megasquirt controlling just the ignition timing with a 3 dimensional map + inlet air temp compensation /QUOTE]
Well, at leaste you seem to have a handle on the idea DUK..

I have the Turbo, but have been more concerned with internal pressure vs. low fuel pressure through the needle & seat keeping fuel in the Webers. Now you raise issues with shaft seals. I assume the centers being the issue more than the outers as they have seals??
I think there are ignition systems with timing retards in them. Being a Carb type guy I`ll need to do some research.
I have 3 built high compression 2 liter motors in the shop with Weber 45s and 48s on them, but I guess one will have to get a set of stock heads for this project

Floatless Webers... built to maintain adequate fuel level in carbs where fuel demand exceeds availability of fuel flow through the small openings of a needle valve and seat. As well ie makes more fuel available in the area displaced by the float.
Step one is to eliminate the needle and seat and float mechanisms. Fuel will be supplied to the carb theiugh the now much larger orfrices unpluged by all that stuff. It is a very good idea to have a roll-over or inertia cut off switch on the stoopy pump now!
Step two. We will next install a tube to suck excess fuel from the carb above the level we want to keep as our "fuel Level".
You must know the fuel level you want to maintain in the carb body of course. If we are working with a Weber DCOE I would remove the bottom sludge/inspection plate (4 screws) Drill and weld a 3/8 ID aluminum tube to it so the open top can go vertically up into the body of the carb float body to the level it will need to end at and be open to(or just past so fuel can be adjusted for correct level on the jets).
To the bottom (outside) of the tube I would ewld or screw an AN fitting for the fuel hose to go to a separate fuel pump which would be scavenging from this tube while the motor is running (at all times!!!) It is a good idea to use a lower pressure pump to fill the carbs and a higher capacity to scavenge the carbs!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #39 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

When I had my 2 L Alfetta Sport Sedan turboed in 1981 I used Dellortos that were designed for pressure. Same as on the Lotus Turbo of the day.

Today it is no big deal to use modern fuel injection and SDS ecu, for outstanding performance.

Bob,
post #40 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

So....

So... whats a little spraying fuel blowing out of the carbs? I`m going to powder coat the airbox and camcover so the paint is not going to wash off!
Besides, there are louvers in the hood for venting such...

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #41 of 414 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Duk

Garage
Quote:
I have the Turbo, but have been more concerned with internal pressure vs. low fuel pressure through the needle & seat keeping fuel in the Webers. Now you raise issues with shaft seals. I assume the centers being the issue more than the outers as they have seals??
I think there are ignition systems with timing retards in them. Being a Carb type guy I`ll need to do some research.
I have 3 built high compression 2 liter motors in the shop with Weber 45s and 48s on them, but I guess one will have to get a set of stock heads for this project
I haven't personally played with any blow thru carby/turbo set ups, but the 1s that I've seen use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that works the same as a fuel injected engines rising rate pressure regulator but works at lower base pressure. Say 4psi at atmospheric pressure but adds an equal amount of fuel pressure per pound of boost.
Another trick is to make sure the float bowl/air correction jets/emulsion tubes. is at the same pressure as the carby inlet so as to give the correct pressure differential between the venturi and the float bowl.
Having floats that aren't squashed by the added pressure inside the float bowl is obviously a good idea, but naturally redundant if you use your floatless arrangement .
Shaft seals: Outer 1s may take boost pressure, and they may not. I would definitely be using sealed bearings for the shafts tho. The center plate could be fitted with a gasket if it doesn't have 1 already. Failing that, adding a small fitting to take a pressure source from the plenum chamber would prevent fuel being blown out.
Keen to see how this pans out

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
post #42 of 414 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Pininfarina Lightweight Coupe's progress

Slow progress, but I`m old!
With the detail of the finish work, the lines of the roof, the drip rail from the bottom of the "A" pilar to the bottom of the "C" pilar, and all metal construction, the car will appear to be a factory "One Off"

With the doors missing the window winding trash, glass, and impact beams and finished rolled aluminum covering the tops and interior edges it has taken on different character, one of the late "`50`s".
Loosing over 300 pounds will help the get around a bit as well. Over 20 lbs came out of each door! The bumpers were ridiculous, the convertible top, the overweight exhaust system! Spare tire What pigs these cars have became since the Duetto. Of course no AC! Heat yes, of course! This is Florida!

The front suspension extension brackets are finished to spread the lower "A" arm mounting points .375 inches out & down on each side to expand the track along with dropped spindles built from 105 series uprights with aluminum Brembo calipers. Another good amount of lost weight, unsprung weight at that. Along with track increase and lowering without geometry issues . Then wider rims with more neg offset and things work as designed! Now that`s an anomaly.

The car is getting the old Giulietta race car`s Ausca/Autodelta GTA close ratio (2.54/1.72/1.25/1.0/.88) transmission,(gears light too) Since the 5th gear is a .88 gear I`ve built a 4 disk 4.10 LSD for the car. Aluminum flywheel, aluminun center clutch disk.
I abandoned the turbo foolishness. Too easy to get enough torque the old fashioned way. Proper engine building
Paint will be simple correct single stage Alfa Racing Red. Deep Dark Red. No fancy modern chemical blistering mess
It will look like an Alfa should have perhaps, had Chrysler / Fiat and too much regulation had not got involved ??
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 02-28-2009 at 07:27 AM.
post #43 of 414 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Nice roof you have there.

Also, the one on the Spider is beginning to look better.

Bob,
post #44 of 414 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:47 AM
Duk

Garage
Quote:
I abandoned the turbo foolishness. Too easy to get enough torque the old fashioned way. Proper engine building :
Oh well .
Any guesstimates on a final weight Richard?

post #45 of 414 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Gold Subscriber

Just as well--without the turbo, you wont have to bolt on the blue chassis stiffener.

Bob,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode