Spider improvement effort - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 414 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM

I actually kind if like it without the front spoiler but thats just me! Im sure its more functional with it though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 414 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Delivered the "Red October" to Dave Robertson in Atlanta Thursday and spent the weekend at Rd. Atlanta at the "Mitty". Disapointed at the absence of any racing Alfa`s there. It was nice to see the old Bobsy Alfa Sports racer but other than that nothing Alfa! Not one GTA! Last Mitty I attended in `96 was chock full of REAL "HISTORIC" race cars.
You must have missed the Jr Z..................

Here it is as well as the other car:

You can see more pics of The Mitty at: msmithphoto's photos- powered by SmugMug
Attached Images

86 Spider
Sperry Stage 3 Heads
Shankle 7L cams
Some springs, shocks and poly urethane sprinkled about!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fetta78; 05-05-2008 at 02:19 PM.
post #18 of 414 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Yellow Jr Zagato

Well... I admit that I did see it but it didn`t reach the my criteria of "racing Alfa". With appologies to whoever might take offence. However, it`s no race car...track car I`ll subscribe too. That`s why the Mitty was a big dissapointment!

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 414 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Forgot To Ask. Karman Ghia Hardtop?

I would like to convert the Spider to a coupe using a old style top.
Stay Seated for a minute...These are not collector cars for goodness sake!
I`m looking for a Good, Karman Ghia metal top, and would like to have the "A pillars as well. The "C" pillars are essential.
I think it would look great! With a little short opening deck lid...

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #20 of 414 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM

coupe top

I love the front. It is something I would like to do to mine! For the top, what about a 240Z Datsun? With the GTO type front end you could have the hatch and the Datsun rear spoiler would seem to fit in. Only an idea. Love to see your finished work. Michael
post #21 of 414 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Front Metalwork 90% Done

Well, a bit more progress....the front metal is all welded in and the opening surround and single middle bar being made.
Interesting to note the metal spoiler is sostrong that I believe you could plow with it!

he hood was completely stripped and the first loover was cut the wrong direction, so cut a full line of them and will use it as shop art.
The one pictured is hood no. 2 which was again completely stripped and this time stamped as I intended. The loovers being inverted purposefully as extractors, but first to give the surface of the loovers at the hood a flat surface primariarly for appearance & durability. The result suited me

Nick has finished the side vents but not installed, and the battery box/tool box is finished and exoxy coated. The stainless covers are cut and yet to be finished.

Still debating the rear treatment as well as top. He is for cutting down the windshield 1.5 inches and making the top a "Speedster" look, and abandoning the hardtop idea. That`s not going away easily.....
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"
post #22 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Spider Improvement? Slow Project!

Finding spots of rust & cutting it out! Didn`t expect this, and it`s slowing Nic down... even more...
Bought an `86 Quad for roof, but decided this car is either going to get the roof from the 240Z or Karman Ghia (see pic hanging on wall). Got to be really different
Back end has got the bumper brackets removed and faired in along with all the holes stamped in the body??
Decided to paint it Dodge Viper Yellow! Or either Dark Red......
Oh Well....
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 09-18-2008 at 05:01 PM.
post #23 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Richard,

I'm feeling the Karman Ghia top. The rounded design will intergrate with the Spiders shape much better. Keep up the excellent work!

Charlie
Serpent Autosport

post #24 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 05:39 AM

Do you plan to use different tail lamps? Some round lamps would give it a Ferrari-esque look.

Bill / 1977 Alfa Romeo 4C2000 / 2012 BMW S1000RR / 1975 BMW R90/6
post #25 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
I`m surprised none of you could help identify the grill used. I`ll thumb through the "d`Amico-Tabucchi later to try to find..
I didn't see this answered, oddly enough. (I haven't looked in this thread for awhile, or I'd have piped up earlier.) Isn't it just a regular early ('71-'74 (US, anyway; to around '81 in Europe)) S2 grille? It feels like a trick question, and I'm half expecting someone to shoot me down! Neat looking car; can't wait to see it in paint to tie it all together.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #26 of 414 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Where did the donor steel panels come from that are welded into the areas where the front bumper used to be, or are they custom made? Also, how did you cover (remove?) the pieces that hold the bumper shock mounts in the rear? Will you leave the rear as shown or what do you have in mind for a custom rear bumper?

I'm hungry for updated pictures! Thanks.
post #27 of 414 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Slow Project

Well, we are having fun, but it is a slow moving effort. Sorry for the slow response. I do not have an alert set up on my threads. Guess I should!
All the metal panels are hand formed by Nic on a English Wheel or Planishing Hammer or both. He is quite an artist. (slow)

I didn`t know at the time I selected the grill from a pile in the shop exactly what it was from. There was no trick question, and in fact it is from a `71 era Spider.

There will be no bumpers all supports are cut away by torch, plasma cutter, whatever necessary! There will be a "bumperette" trim of polished stainless about 1 1/4 x1/2 attached to the pinched metal lip and rolling around the sides towards the rear tire openings. In the front there will be "eyebrows" reminesent of the Giulietta. More "Retro"

The car is getting lots of weight reduction. The Veloce doors are awful heavy with impact bars and elec window lifts. All that will come out and lexan will go in with strap lifts with velcro to secure.

The Top thing has been harder. I bought a Quad just to get the top...
But Decided not what I wanted to do. Quad is for sale cheep!!! Nice car too!
The Karman Ghia top is very light, has style, and will add oomph!
I had the 240z top but it just did not blow up my skirt! (It would look good, but......it can be had

I have round tail lights I bought for the GTR project (V6 tube frame project in progress) but I am leaving this as is, as it needs to be identifiable as an Alfa easily.
Rj

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 10-04-2008 at 11:32 AM.
post #28 of 414 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Gold Subscriber

Rj

Now I know what you have been talking about--very interesting.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #29 of 414 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 AM

I saw you had the ghia and Z tops. Is that a chance you could take pictures with both tops on the spider and see what both look like. I really like your ideas! Michael
post #30 of 414 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Tops

I have a parts car at my shop (where the tops are) that I am going to "test fit" the tops on. Will take pics as that happens...
Thanks..

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 11-17-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode