Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Advice: Installing rubber floor mats?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  etip 
#1 ·
Did a quick search for advice on installing new rubber floor mats on my duetto. Did not come up with much. My basic question is how are mats attached. Glue? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

#2 ·
Not with glue - with snaps. The male snaps are secured to the floor sheet metal with sheet metal screws. The female snaps are located at the corners of the mats.

Your Duetto would have similar snaps holding the rear drape to the body. And the trunk floormat.

#5 ·
If the interior is striped out, look for the holes on the firewall, under the dash. If the insulation has been replaced, look for the holes in the firewall from the engine compartment. You'll also need to look for them from I side the wheel well.

Originally, the floor mat snaps had a fender washer between them and the insulation.

It's best to start with locating the correct position for the snaps on the car before proceeding with installing the snaps on the mats.

If you're having trouble locating the holes on the car, we can help you find them.

#6 ·
Post 14 of this thread covers the floor mats, snaps and snap locations I used.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sp...92-1966-duetto-spider-re-recommissioning.html

The sill covers are held in place with contact cement and the stainless trim that protects the door gasket. Despite using a lot of free weights to hold the sill mats down, they are not tightly secured like I'd hoped they would be. They seem a bit fluffy...

Mark

#7 ·
When I replaced the sill mats on my Spider I folded them over at the ledge joint and clamped them in that position, then let them sit in the hot sun for hours. When I installed them the next day they maintained enough of the 90 degree bend that it made them easy to glue down and stay in place. Guess now that the heat of summer is gone you could just use a heat gun to replicate the sun.

#8 ·
Funny, I just got the two front rubber Alfa logo mats for my car. It didn't have them when I got it, so finally splurged this summer.
I didn't know there were supposed to be snaps, so just rolled them out and laid them down. They haven't moved a bit so that's how I assumed they were supposed to be!!
Oh well.... Maybe when I Dyna-mat the car I'll look at putting the snaps in.

#9 ·
I didn't know there were supposed to be snaps, so just rolled them out and laid them down. They haven't moved a bit so that's how I assumed they were supposed to be!!
Just two snaps per mat - at the rear of the mats, right in front of the seats - will hold the mats pretty well. The factory also put snaps at the front of the mats, on the firewall, but those aren't really necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.