Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Best exhaust solutions?

9K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  azALFAowl 
#1 ·
Going to be replacing the exhaust in my 89 Quad, was curious what you guys think is the best route to go, for performance and sound.

My car has a performance header, and no cats ;)

Was thinking about going with the Ansa product, but figured id ask for some other opinions

#4 · (Edited)
This is my Spider with Shankle headers, no cat and a Single Borla straight through muffler in the middle position. The mike was attached to the rear bumper and it is not that loud inside the car.

I have since rebuilt the engine for more power which made it louder. I added a small glass pack muffler in the tail pipe and now it does not scare my neighbors but it still sounds great on full song.

#9 ·
Obviously you live in a state with no emissions laws and good for you, I guess. But on an '89 having no cat only increases harmful emissions - absolutely no gain in performance. On my '90 I have the stock 4-2-1 setup with a high flow cat, stock center and no rear muffler - just a "stinger". It's pleasantly loud, with a bit of off-throttle resonance at certain specific RPMs. I don't really mind but have been thinking of talking to the muffler shop about a small resonator to get rid of it.

My primary advice is to find a good muffler shop to do the work. Bud's muffler in Denver is stupidly cheap for this sort of work - way less.than you can DYI.

#10 ·
But on an '89 having no cat only increases harmful emissions - absolutely no gain in performance
I believe that a new cat costs some performance and an old one can cost a lot. The only difference between the US and Euro Milanos was the exhaust system - the Euro's had no cat and the claimed power output was higher. It is true that stock motors are less impacted by exhaust restrictions than tuned engines but there will almost always be some power cost.

#11 ·
Ed,
I was more interested in what the top speed was. After rereading my question, I understand your answer.
So, MPH? I ask that because not only did the car sound freaking amazing, the trees were passing by at a freaking amazing rate.
��

#15 ·
WOW!!!! Thanks for posting the Videos!! I put them on my BIG screen TV, cranked up the volume, cracked a beer and voyeured with the drives!! Superb!! I'm going to modify my exhaust...local emissions checks precluded removing the cat, I've always loved the dual tip-up, end exhaust tips of the "Big" Austin Healeys' (and have found that look in the Ansa rear units) so the only mod I can see is messing the center/middle muffler. I'm thinking of going with a straight-through section (eliminating the center muffler all together) for a more sporty sound. Has anyone done this??? THANKS!!! Keep the videos coming!!

#16 ·
After watching the videos a couple more times, I decided to do a bit more research!!! I did note that both the preceding examples where carburated models that add a delicious note over injected models to the auditory experience of engine/exhaust sounds!!! I did find a 21-second youtube video on removing the center muffler section from an injected model, sounds not bad for minimum work. Does anyone else have sounds/mods for our eval??!!

#19 ·
My mechanic in Berkeley put on a stainless steel kit that he modified from a MagnaFlow product. It's really loud - like F1 in the tunnel at Monaco loud. I can't get over 2K rpm around town or people start to stare. I like the one post here who suggested a glass pak in the muffler - I'm going to ask my current mechanic if that's possible for my setup.

#20 ·
i have a Stebro stainless system on my GTV from ~12 years ago. i don't even know if they are still in business in Canada, but i personally would steer clear of using this system on an Alfa twin cam if i ever do another. while fitment was OK, i am unimpressed with the sound quality. its surprisingly loud and raspy for a 3 muffler system, and sounds more like a Japanese import tuner rather than a classic Italian. and its not just me. i was talking with the guys at a well known Alfa shop here in SoCal, they corroborated my thoughts on the sound.

next year i might be trying the Magnaflow system.

Attachments

#23 ·
you can have the exact same exhaust design and it can sound drastically different from the material used. your car probably sounds like woo-tang tuner car because many of them use stainless. titanium even sounds worse imo.

both offer substantial rust protection as well as weight savings with the ti. personally i prefer the smooth deeper noise of the old school aftermarket ansa and CSC that often rust outed before your eyes.

i threw out my CSC when i replaced it with a magnaflow. i wished i would have kept CSC since it was in cali and the unit had minimal rust. i hear the newer ones arent made the same.

#21 ·
Stebro I believe is not around anymore.

Customer service received very poor reviews on here.

Quality wise and exhaust sound though from what I read received very high marks.

I would have bought a Stebro system if they were still around a few years ago.

Thanks

#22 ·
Their products from a few years ago are a fine mix of throaty and refined. I have had 2 Stebro systems and it is a shame they are not available anymore.

#24 ·
Best sound Tipo 105

In my experience, the elimination of the "expansion chamber," or the small muffler immediately aft of the headers is the least expensive and most effective means to a glorious sound. That change alone will amaze you. Nothing else required.

I am talking about 105 (1971 GTV) and 115 (1974 GTV) cars. I have no experience with later model years or catalytic converters, but eliminating the expansion chamber may be a start.

#28 ·
Well, it was weird that this thread got brought back, and someone just posted 'we' to the thread, but I found it appropriate to add to it.

On my 86 Veloce with Motronic pistons, I have a stock mani, downpipe/cat, a magnaflow resonator and a stinger pipe. I loved it at first; it sounds pretty exhotic with pops while shifting, and it does sound a little like Ed's. All hell breaks loose when I give it the beans. But, the tone has changed over time and theres a rasp that I don't really like. Also, this year I've had 2 cops flip around and follow me while driving in the city, since it is way lounder with apartments and businesses on both sides of the road while I accelerate. So, I bought a stock muffler locally- from Not2old4toys. Turns out that it's the same one Classic Alfa sells. And it has transformed my driving experience. The resonator provides this deep bass at idle, and I can drive away with out nursing it down my neighborhood. It's still very sporty sounding, just not near as loud. The change in tone that I noticed is coming from the Magnaflow resonator, though, not the stinger. I'm going to give my stinger to a local guy...I hope that he's in good standing with his neighbors! 😁

All this said, I WILL miss it when I hit a straight and give it the beans to redline. She wails like a tiny Ferrari, and my girlfreind goes mercifully silent as I row through the gears. My butt dyno doesn't feel a difference yet, but no more popping in the exhaust. I'll miss that a little, also.

Go for a drive,
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.