‘86 Spider Headlights/Dash light issue - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

‘86 Spider Headlights/Dash light issue

Parked the car this evening no issues, came back to car and headlights and dash lights will not illuminate. Flashers, brake lights, radio are no issue. Fuses all check good.

Thinking headlight switch on column. Any help on how to access is appreciated. Also anything else to check?

Thank you. I really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Did you check fuses?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes. Headlamp 8 amp torpedo fuses checked good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 PM

Had a couple of instances with weird elec probs recently. Gauges not working after having been working fine. Power windows stopped for no reason. Swipe a finger over the bullet fuses getting them to turn a bit in their contacts. Cured my issues. The real problem is oxidation/mild corrosion on the fuse and contacts. Fuses will test good but not make good contact. This was my experience. Let us know what you find.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba1492 View Post
Had a couple of instances with weird elec probs recently. Gauges not working after having been working fine. Power windows stopped for no reason. Swipe a finger over the bullet fuses getting them to turn a bit in their contacts. Cured my issues. The real problem is oxidation/mild corrosion on the fuse and contacts. Fuses will test good but not make good contact. This was my experience. Let us know what you find.
Ditto. And bad grounds can cause all kinds of seemingly non related issues.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba1492 View Post
Swipe a finger over the bullet fuses getting them to turn a bit in their contacts. Cured my issues. The real problem is oxidation/mild corrosion on the fuse and contacts. Fuses will test good but not make good contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum
bad grounds can cause all kinds of seemingly non related issues.
While I'll agree that bullet fuses and grounds can be a headache on Alfa electrical systems, I doubt these are what's causing M2Charland's issue. What are the odds that all four headlight fuses would oxidize at the same time? Or that both headlight bucket grounds, as well as the dash light grounds, would fail simultaneously?

I'm guessing that M2Charland's idea of the headlight switch is the correct one; that's the single component that could cause the headlights and dash lights to fail. I'd also check the power source to the headlight switch.

M2Charland: Are both the high beams AND low beams out? How about your parking lights? Does wiggling the switch stalk with the switch in the "on" position produce any flashing?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 10-10-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Both high beams and low beams are out. Parking lights are out as well. Flashers work, turn signals work, brake lights work. I installed new fuses, no change.

No change with wiggling the light switch stalk.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Charland View Post
Both high beams and low beams are out. Parking lights are out as well. Flashers work, turn signals work, brake lights work.
Yes, that makes sense if the headlight switch - or power to the switch - is the issue. The flashers, turn signals and brake lights are on completely different circuits.

Usually when the column-mounted light switch fails, it is just the headlights that go out. These switches are under-designed for the amount of current that the headlights draw, so the headlight contacts burn out first. Usually when that happens, the parking lights continue to work OK. Since all your lights are out, and wiggling the stalk does nothing, the issue may be the power source to the switch, rather than the switch itself.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 10-10-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Alfajay - I appreciate your help. I will check the power to the switch.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:29 PM

drop the fusebox and turn it over to inspect the colored connector blocks on the rear.
check none of the wires have pulled out.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/784334-post2.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode