Front Sway Bar Drop Link Orientation - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Front Sway Bar Drop Link Orientation

I have earlier style press-on sway bar drop links like below. I am putting them on a stock sway bar that didn't have drop links installed on it, so I have no reference for the angle at which the new drop links should be installed.

Is there anyway to figure this out on the bench? Or do I need to install the sway bar on the car and then see what angle the end links should be at, then remove the sway bar again and press on the drop links?

Rather not do double work, but can't find a spec for the drop link angle.

Thanks!
Attached Images

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

In the picture above, the left side goes at the bottom. So when installed, the strut angles towards the rear of the car.
Andrew
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for that Andrew. Let me clarify my question a little better.

Where I am stumped is what the angle of the drop link needs to be in respect to the sway bar itself. If memory serves, once I press the link on it will not rotate on the sway bar. As such I have to make sure angle is correct so that the bottom part of the link can be in the right position to connect to the wishbone below.

Or maybe I am misremembering. Maybe the link can still be made to rotate a bit (rubber mallet?) once on the sway bar to mate up with the wishbone?

Thanks.

--Scott
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackie View Post
I have earlier style press-on sway bar drop links like below. I am putting them on a stock sway bar that didn't have drop links installed on it, so I have no reference for the angle at which the new drop links should be installed.

Is there anyway to figure this out on the bench? Or do I need to install the sway bar on the car and then see what angle the end links should be at, then remove the sway bar again and press on the drop links?

Rather not do double work, but can't find a spec for the drop link angle.

Thanks!

First, the drop links should be a press fit onto the sway bar so it is not adjustable later.

I am about to do this now. I just installed the rear sway bar. For that one, rather than try to measure an angle I measured the distance from the bar where it crosses the car (in front of the truss) to where the drop link attaches to the trailing arm... basically measuring the length of one leg of a triangle. See the red line in the image. This worked great in the rear. When I put the assembled sway bar in place the drop links were in exactly the right location. I wonder if there is a way to apply that idea to the front... rather than measure an angle, maybe measure the distance between the pins on the lower A arms and align the drop links on the bench so they are at that distance. I hope that makes sense!
Attached Images

Current: '69 Spider under reconstruction. Former: 56 Giulietta Spider, 61 Giulietta SS, another '69 Spider, 2600 Coupe paperweight, two GTV-6, 164L, 164S
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks - this is super helpful. I haven't done this job in 20 years and I was pretty sure that they were press fit, so confirming that helps a lot. And your suggestion above for measurement sounds like a good approach. And I will have the same to do on the rear anyway, so directly applicable to that.

It'll be a couple years until these find their way on to the car, so will pocket this thread until then. I am trying to do as much on the bench as possible for easy install later, but sounds like this needs to be done when actually installing on the car.

--Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode