Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Dash board out, what should I "Might as well" do

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jmcauliffe0257 
#1 ·
Title says it all. I've had to take my dashboard out, what are the "Might as wells" for an 86 Alfa Romeo Spider that you should do once you have complete unfettered access to the back of dash area. I'm already replacing the Cowl Drain hoses. Anything else? It does have A/C.

#2 ·
How's your blower motor work? May be a good opportunity to pull & lube the fan motor, and drill a couple of small water drain holes in the bottom of the airbox. Water tends to get in there and rust the motor and it's a real PITA to replace with the dash in.

#3 ·
^ what Tom says!
(also good opportunity to flush heater matrix, maybe check heater box hoses, heater valve etc...anything heater related because once that dash is back in, Lord help you!)

good time to check the transmission rubber boots too, clean tranny breathers etc

#4 ·
Yeah, transmission boots are a good one, as are heater hoses & valve. Cheap parts but a real pain to replace. Make sure your heater matrix isn't corroded & leaking too.

What else? Good opportunity to get your speedo/tach calibrated while you have everything out I guess. The monopod gauges usually start reading slow after a few years.

#5 ·
Heating and ventilation ducting to the dash vents deteriorates really badly, it's an easy and low cost fix with dashboard out. It may look okay but give it a good poke and shake - it may well have cracks or leaks. Small holes can be fixed with.... erm duct tape (what else) but it is not a lot of cash for new ducting. If you've got cracks in there fixing them will transform heating / aircon / demisting.

#7 ·
All fo the above are great suggestions. Check the fresh air vent hoses while your back there and defroster hoses.
If I am that far in, I will take small plastic wire wraps and tidy up the electrical back there. Then clean all the electrical contacts with DeOxit D-5 and some Scrotch brite, paying most attention to the ground contacts as that will make a big difference in the lighting.

#8 ·
remember these pro tips for when you put the dash back in
1. Make sure the turn signal indicator lamp is in place in the bezel
2. Use a heat gun to soften up the rubber tubes that connect to the side vents, put the top vent tubes in at the end
3. Use a socket that fits over the wing nuts to tighten them (I recall 23 mm but could be well wrong)
4, Remove the seats before refitting the dash, so much easier on your body

Reactions: Alfaboutvegas
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.