Trunk adjustment after new trunk seal- help! It won't close - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Trunk adjustment after new trunk seal- help! It won't close

Hi,
My 1969 spider had a generic aftermarket seal, but after painting it I ordered the factory correct one from Centerline.
Well... Now I can't close my trunk! Is there an adjustment? The trunk sits pretty correctly so don't want to raise it too high.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the solution?
Thanks for any help you can give!
Etip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:30 AM

Garage
If the seal appears to be the correct seal for your car with the proper cross section and is installed correctly, you could try parking the car out in full sun for a while to see if it will soften the seal so you can shut the trunk lid. If the lid shuts it may just need to compress the seal for a while. I looked at my trunk latch, which I suspect can be adjusted slightly or the upper piece could be shimmed down a little. If your lid sits flush with the fenders, you would not want to change that. Are you sure they provided the correct seal?

I had a similar issue with door seals on another car. The seals were manufactured by Cicognani in Italy (OEM) and supplied by Classic Alfa. After changing the seals, the doors had to be SLAMMED shut or they would latch half way open. Shortly after installation, the drivers side gasket shredded and had to be replaced. The new replacement gasket has not fared much better, it is already torn...I complained to CA. I think that I was told this is the replacement gasket for my car and they sell a lot of them without complaint or something similar. I know it is frustrating to replace a part and make things worse.

Mark
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:00 AM

gotta make certain that the seal is completely seated on the steel lip all the way around. It can look seated but in fact not be quite all the way down. And, I would be loathe to change the alignment of the trunk. When I put new seal on my 71, I had to slam the trunk closed (still do for that matter). But it closes and seals

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:41 PM

I had, still have this 'issue' with my boot lid (English for trunk). The way I shut it, because it needs considerable help, is to push down on it with your hands 1/4 and 3/4 way across the edge of the lid and push down gently but very firmly to compress the rubber seal and click the catch. Its important to keep your hands on the very edge otherwise you will bend the top of the lid, I just noticed in time.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Garage
Same scenario. After replacing the seal it was difficult to close the lid so instead of slamming it I just pushed down with my weight until I heard/felt the "click". Over a year later it works just fine......
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I wrote Centerline to ask their opinion and it was consistent with what you are saying. See Below.

Hi Eric,

New seals that causing the doors and other panels to be hard to close is pretty common on these cars. The alternative, unfortunately as we’ve seen with some other reproduction seals, is a seal that allows easy closing but doesn’t actually seal out water or wind.

What we recommend is the following:

1) Soak the seal in silicone lubricant (liquid) which will soften the seal.
2) Heat the seal with a hair dryer or heat gun on low, which will also soften the seal. Once it is good and hot, go around and make sure it is fully seated again.
3) Once you get the trunk to close, leave the car sitting out in the sun for a day or two which will allow the seal to compress enough that you should be able to use the trunk after that.

I hope this helps.

I'm in Seattle, so there's no leaving the car in the sun until next summer, so I'll just silicone, hair dry and compress it....

Thanks again for everyone's input.
It goes in tomorrow for the new top, which is the finishing touch in the 11 year bringing back from the dead!!! Lots of pictures to follow....

etip
1969 Spider
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:05 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Some of the original seals or weather striping are made of a closed cell foam. Two that come to mind are the trunk seal and the seal around the radiator. The Cicognani seals are all solid rubber and much too hard. I just carefully slam the trunk.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode