No power - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey Everyone...so ‘73 Spider Veloce, w/webers. Car died on me as I was merging onto the highway. It just flat out stopped running.

Currently sitting on the shoulder with no power. Battery seems to have juice, but with the key turned no fuel pump or starter noises, no radio, gauges, lights nothing.

Possible issues? Seems like a bad battery maybe? No circuit?

A bit stumped to be honest.

Last edited by alfaronto; 09-11-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaronto View Post
Hey Everyone...so ‘73 Spider Veloce, w/webers. Car died on me as I was merging onto the highway. It just flat out stopped running.

Currently sitting on the shoulder with no power. Battery seems to have juice, but with the key turned no fuel pump or starter noises, no radio, gauges, lights nothing.

Possible issues? Seems like a bad battery maybe? No circuit?

A bit stumped to be honest.
Do your lights work? How bright? Lights work without ignition. If not. Check battery connections, battery ground, etc
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Car died on me as I was merging onto the highway. It just flat out stopped running. Seems like a bad battery maybe?
It's not the battery. Two reasons:

- Batteries seldom die instantly.

- Once your car is running, you don't even need the battery - the alternator is supplying the juice. So even if a battery did die while the car was running, the only symptom would be a glowing "GEN" light.

Quote:
No circuit?
Yea, no circuit; but the question is: "which one?" It's almost like the hot wire fell off the back of the ignition switch.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 09-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The lights are independent of the ignition switch so it is something upstream. Battery connections, connections at remote end of battery cables, power terminal on left inner fender.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
The lights are independent of the ignition switch so it is something upstream.
Yes, agree.

Quote:
Battery connections, connections at remote end of battery cables
Bad battery connections would cause the car to not start. But I don't think they could kill it while it was running (again, the alternator would continue supplying current).

Quote:
power terminal on left inner fender.
Was the junction block introduced as early as '73? If so, it could be the cause of alfaronto's symptoms, since it handles power from the alternator as well as the battery.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 09-11-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:03 PM

I had a similar situation with my Duetto. Stuck with no power to the spark. The fuse was a bit corroded. I twisted the fuse and was on my way after a good half an hour of foul language. It clears your head.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:48 PM

I had been experiencing the same recently, off and on — it would start fine and run fine until I turned it off. Next time, it was dead — absolutely nothing. So, i got under the hood and gave the terminals a few good raps, and voila — back in the saddle again. After a half dozen or so of these episodes, I had to get serious. Turns out that there was a bad connection at the ring connector of the wire that runs from the battery + to the alternator? Properly replacing that terminal has made me fat, dumb, and happy that I don’t have to open the hood in the supermarket parking lot anymore. ��
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

This is all very helpful, thanks guys! Gonna look into it today.

Thankfully Hagerty’s roadside assistance got her back to my driveway with little fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radojko View Post
I had been experiencing the same recently, off and on — it would start fine and run fine until I turned it off. Next time, it was dead — absolutely nothing. So, i got under the hood and gave the terminals a few good raps, and voila — back in the saddle again. After a half dozen or so of these episodes, I had to get serious. Turns out that there was a bad connection at the ring connector of the wire that runs from the battery + to the alternator? Properly replacing that terminal has made me fat, dumb, and happy that I don’t have to open the hood in the supermarket parking lot anymore. ��
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radojko View Post
I had been experiencing the same recently, off and on — it would start fine and run fine until I turned it off. Next time, it was dead — absolutely nothing.
Glad to hear that radojko solved his problem, but I wouldn't call his symptoms "the same". Not being able to start your Alfa is quite different than having it die while running.

alfaronto should look at this battery terminals - he should look at everything. But I really don't think his symptoms point a battery-related problem.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 09-12-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

I agree.

So the power terminal is where in the left inner fender?

When I look at the wiring diagram I'm not seeing any power terminals. I see the battery, and two leads off, one going to the starter and the other to the alternator (72-73 2000 Spider Veloce USA version by Papajam).

If it isn't the battery not much else it can be using this diagram...like the battery ground cable or positive cable.

Last edited by alfaronto; 09-12-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
...So the power terminal is where in the left inner fender?
I see the battery, and two leads off....
your 72 has the battery under the hood, correct?

iirc the power terminal was only introduced on models with the battery in the trunk.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Correct, the battery is in the engine bay near the left wheel well.

I’m gonna check the battery for voltage & continuity. I’m wondering if the battery actually broke inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
Quote:
...So the power terminal is where in the left inner fender?
I see the battery, and two leads off....
your 72 has the battery under the hood, correct?

iirc the power terminal was only introduced on models with the battery in the trunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode