windshield change ..or not - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
windshield change ..or not

My 1984 spider has its original windshield with the antenna around the window. There is a crack but I think it can be repaired.
I hesitate between having it repaired or changed for a new one that will include new rubber seal , etc....
However I wonder about the quality how the new windshields and their mounting by speedglass or equivalent...any bad experience with new winshield on a spider?
best
Francois
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
How bad is the crack?

I would just replace it depending on the size of it.

Please post pics.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
circular impact with crack diameter of about 3 am side to side. repairable (according to what they say) but I can feel the ubber is old and a new one will insure water tightness even though I dont plan to ride under the rain...I just want to make sure that the carglass tech will not make it worse because of older car, specific mouting of roadster, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 AM

if you just use the glass company to put the new one in, things will be fine.
Prosource glass might still have windshields with antenna built in (they used to)

What you should do yourself (to prepare things) is remove the old one. There is a fair amount of work to remove the chrome strips top, bottom and sides, plus all the plastic strips inside etc.
Then, by cutting the seal (you will be ordering a new one), the glass will push out forwards.

Then you will likely find a bit of rust under the seal, and one or two of the metal spring clips rusted out.....leave yourself time to clean the area, treat & paint if necessary and to order any parts.

Once it is all prepared, call in the glass guys and they will fit a new glass and seal.
They should use sealant! You are dealing with a 30 year old car, so if they say nah, can be put in dry, look elsewhere!

If you call them in to remove and refit and there is rust underneath, they are not going to hang around whilst you try treat it!

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode