Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Wire Cross Reference to AWG

556 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tierno 
#1 ·
Hello. I am interested in buying wire (not a harness) for my 1985 Graduate. Where can I find the AWG equivalent for the Italian color codes?
All I want to do is replace a few wires and to use the proper gauge. Thank you, Joe

#3 ·
Thank you OSSOPEDIA, your information is very useful. I have come to the conclusion that relying on the color of the wire should be approached with caution. Wires that have been replaced, discolored or purchased from an unreliable vendor are not to be relied upon. It is more important to match the draw of the component with the gauge of the wire. The tipping point for me was discovering that certain vendors use more shielding than necessary and less copper than advertised in order to save cost. The technical term is cheating.

For you and anyone who reads this please understand I am unqualified on any topic you might choose. So feel free to correct or expand on this topic.

Thank you,
Joe

#4 ·
Joe,

The color of the wire does not indicate its gauge. Rather, the colors are really so that you get them connected to the right components. Do you have papajam's wiring diagram for your car? If so, you will note that it remarks that all wires are 0.5 sq. mm (20 AWG) unless otherwise specified on the drawing.

If you don't have that wiring diagram, please send me a PM with your email address, and I'll show you what I'm talking about by email.

#5 ·
Hello Ossopedia,
Several years ago I downloaded the Papajam diagram. From it, I compiled an Excel spreadsheet for my own use. I am very meticulous so I probably overdid it. I no longer have Excel so I used Google Sheets then downloaded the result in PDF format. You probably are not interested but you are most welcome to what I have done. Please keep in mind I am not qualified to offer anybody advice and I expect there are many errors. The problem is several years ago life presented some challenges so I am far removed from what I learned and have to start over. At age 78, that is quite a task. I need all the help I can get to get the car back on the road. (I've driven it five times and was towed home four).
I would love to take you up on your offer, so please feel free to send whatever you wish to joetierno@gmail.com.
Thank you very much,
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.