Duetto carpet - e-brake boot detail - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ossodiseppia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Duetto carpet - e-brake boot detail

The current upholstery project on my 1600 Duetto is replacing the carpets on the transmission-driveshaft tunnel. I ordered replacement carpets and a rubber e-brake boot from Classic Alfa. Because my Duetto was missing carpets when I got it, I'm a bit unclear on the details of how things should go together. I found some photos showing the details in question on Bring a Trailer (see below). (If you're interested, the auction is at: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...der-duetto-22/ )

My questions are:

1) How does the boot orient to and attach to the carpet. I assume it goes in from below and is stitched around the perimeter, which is what it looks like in the photos.

2) At the rear of the tunnel carpet, does the carpet go over the rubber mat, or the mat over the carpet (which is how the Duetto on BaT is done, but that seems sort of sloppy)?

As an aside, the e-brake boot opening in the carpet I got from CA seems too small to accommodate the boot if the boot is stitched to the underside. My upholsterer can certainly increase the dimensions of the opening and re-trim it, but I would have expected more from CA.
Attached Images

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-28-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:54 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The E-brake boot is stitched on, just as you described. As for that rubber mat, I've got three original ones and neither of them have that on there. If it were my car, I would put the tunnel carpet over it.
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Brian:

Thanks for the quick reply. I wish I were getting this work done as quickly!

One thing still isn't clear:

- The photo you posted shows a rectangular-shaped hole in the carpet, the boot stitched in the middle, with the periphery of the boot just sitting under the carpet. The carpet I got from CA has a hole that size/shape.

- The photo from BaT shows a wider, more oval-shaped hole in the carpet. The perimeter of this hole matches the shape of the outer rim of the boot, so more of the boot is above the carpet.

Sorry to question the guy whose nickname is "ossodiseppia" but it seems odd Alfa would have made the boot that big if they were going to stitch it in the middle; are you sure that's correct? Are your boot & carpet original?

Thanks again!

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-28-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:06 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Jay, that's not a stitch down the middle, it's a seam. I suspect the seam is from the casting process.

In that BAT picture, you can see the seam in the same spot as in my picture. You can also see holes in the boot from the stitching. I don't think that boot is stitched on to the carpet in that car.

Below are the only pictures I have of an OE and repro boot. I sold the OE boot a number of months ago. So, there won't be any more pictures. :-(

I still have the OE carpet and what's left of a boot, if you would like more pictures.

PS: I might think I know all there is to know, but I really don't . That bulkhead mat is a bit of a surprise to me.
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Jay, that's not a stitch down the middle, it's a seam. I suspect the seam is from the casting process.
Sorry, I guess when I wrote "stitch in the middle", I didn't mean exactly in the middle. The picture below is one of those that's worth a thousand words. Based on that picture, here's a better re-phrasing my question: I would expect the stitching that secures the boot to the carpet to be at the perimeter where the green line is; not toward the middle at the yellow outlines.

Quote:
I still have the OE carpet and what's left of a boot, if you would like more pictures.
I hate to ask you to go to the trouble of taking and posting more pictures, but just verbally, does the size/shape of the opening in your OE carpet help to answer the above question?
Attached Images

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-28-2019 at 05:21 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Jay, I'll email some pictures to you.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

My original boot was sew on just as the yellow line is. Good luck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteud96 View Post
My original boot was sew on just as the yellow line is. Good luck
OK, thanks - I'm becoming convinced that that is the way the Alfa factory did it.

Another bit of evidence: if you study the first two photos in my initial post - the ones I borrowed from BaT - you can see the scars of the original stitching on the boot. It is more visible on the original photos, but if you squint, you can see it on the compressed pictures here on the BB.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:25 AM
Gold Subscriber

Jay,

here's a couple pictures of an original 67 Carpet set and a 69 carpet set.

I'm sure Brian has all the reference material that you need. But if you need any additional detail, I can take measurements off of my sets also.

Jeff
Attached Images

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
Here is a photograph of the brake boot in the factory owner's manual (p. 16 for European cars anyway) for the Duetto. It shows a rectangular boot with no bellows...Name:  Duetto brake boot.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  65.7 KB

... much like that of the GTV boot now available from Classic Alfa.

Name:  GTV brake bellows.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  12.9 KB

I suspect that the factory initially used the boot shown in the Owners manual and then later changed to the larger boot with the bellows but continued to use the same pattern for the carpet that had a rectangular cut out. That necessitated sewing the boot across the yellow lines indicated.

Jay, I wish you had asked this question earlier. Thirty five years ago, I sewed up my own vinyl boot for the Duetto. Just last week, I dropped my carpet and a new brake boot from CA off with my upholstery shop. Before doing so, I cut the carpet to fit the new boot and gave the shop instructions to sew around the boot opening with vinyl trim and then install the boot from the bottom and sew around the boot, just like the first photo you provided.

I am fairly certain that the rear of the tunnel carpet does go over the vertical rubber mat just before the vinyl rear drape starts.

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 08-29-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:52 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Mark, I think that picture is from a pre-production model. I bought the Patrick Dasse book and it has a ton of pre-production pictures.
IRONBLOCK likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode