Lugnut question. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dotcentral

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Lugnut question.

I currently have 18570r14 tires on severely curb rashed cromodora wheels on my '82. The wheels looked like some had been driving against a concrete curb repeatedly when I bought the car in 2014. I had to get an alignment when I bought the car. I have been putting off replacing the front tires, but they are worn on both inside edges, I had assumed from the PO driving it out of alignment for who knows how long.

I found a good deal on a set of 15" Alfa wheels, with 19065r15 tires with good tread.

Height on my current tires and possible replacement tires is 24.2". The 15" tires are 7.7" wide, old 14" tires are 7.3" wide. Appears stock tires were 16580r14, which are 24.4" tall, and much narrower at 6.5"

Questions:

1.Any ideas on how much rubbing might occur with a 1.2" wider tire? Front I assume is where the worst of it would occur, if going full lock. Any comments from someone running such a wide tire? Isn't this the size the later Spiders started running, so maybe it is not a big deal?

2. I am attaching a pic of the wheels and tires in question. Will the lug nuts I have from the cromodoras work, I am thinking I might need a different lugnut if I was to go with these wheels. What lugnuts are required on these?

I know there is a lot of debate on the tire sizing on these cars, and some might fault me for going with such a different looking wheel. I would like to avoid that sort of commentary please, and just get input from those that might have went down the same or similar path. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by dotcentral; 08-25-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:18 PM

I have 205/60 zr 14's on my little Duetto. No rubbing as long as you have the correct offset for Alfas. WIDE tires like mine drive fine except for parallel parking - high steering force needed to turn the tires. But if you are moving even just a little bit they are like normal. Also need to be careful not to force the tires - you can crack steering box or the sheet metal where it's mounted.

Robert

BTW - very nice wheels!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:18 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Great looking wheels and if the offset is correct should fit just fine. 195/60-15 is the stock size for late model Quadrifoglio cars. Not sure what year your car is but basically nothing changed suspension wise in the entire 30 year production run. Just eyeballing it it looks like the standard lugnuts would be fine. You can try one without putting the wheel on the car - the taper on the nut seat has to match the taper of the hole.

edit: double-check the tire size with the seller. I'm guessing they're 195/65 rather than 190/65? Tires usually don't come with a width ending in 0 (no idea why).

Biggest problem I see is replacement tires. There just aren't any performance tires available in the proper 15" size any more. With a 14" wheel there is a superb vintage reproduction tire available that is miles better than any tire available in 195/60-15 or anything close to it.

You have read this thread, right? https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ufacturer.html

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 08-26-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Chris, Yes, a typo on the size, they are as you suggest, 195/60R15. These tires are not high performance, Kumho M+S, 732 Touring plus. Yes, I had read that thread Friday while search craigslist. I realize now I wasn't clear before, but I bought the wheels and tires Saturday afternoon.

Turns out the wheels are TSW "Kyalami", 15 x 6.5. I will try the stock lugnuts and see how they fit.

Thanks for your feedback Robert and Chris..
GV27 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode