post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Cam Timing?

Lou

Last edited by 390377; 08-24-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:47 AM

can you confirm at TDC on compression, with timing mark aligned and cams on those marks, the rotor is pointing towards front of car? (that is #1)
or pointing aft? (that is #4)

Alfa cams have 2 marks, 180 opposite.

Distributor put 180 out? (but then the rotor on TDC compression stroke would point aft to cyl#4)
Cams switched over?

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

So I may have spoken too soon. Upon replacing the dist cap, the car wouldn't start. Starting over, and putting the little nub in the cap in the little indent and the car runs fine. But that means I thought #1 was about 2 Oclock, but is actually 11 oclock. Something is not right, but I'm not sure what. Not sure why the rotor would point to #3 at TDC, more likely the sun addled my brain. At least I got a new cam cover gasket out of the deal. Have to start over , and redo all my settings. then I'll check back. Sorry for the false alarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I am wondering if the dist was put in 180 degrees out. The other possibility is that old eyes looking into dark holes from bright sun saw what they expected to see. It running right now, so I'll start from scratch next time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390377 View Post
...but is actually 11 oclock. Something is not right, but I'm not sure what. Not sure why the rotor would point to #3 at TDC...
the rotor is pointing to # 4 at TDC (that's about 11 o clock)
your distributor has been put 180 out during an engine rebuild.

Car will work fine as long as no #1 lead is clipped into position #4 of the dist. cap, then follow through "clockwise" with leads for cyl #3, #4, and #2.
(Firing order is 1-3-4-2, and cylinders are numbered 1 to 4 from front to back of engine)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yes, but I am beginning to suspect that I turned the cap 180* when I removed it. Therefore I pointed the rotor 180* out, at #4 rather than #1. These are dumb rookie mistakes. It is "amazing" how much you learn when you do something every day vs. how much you can forget when you don't do something for 30 years.
I do appreciate your help though as it helps to clarify my thinking.
lou
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:01 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Distributor timing

Just FYI: It matters not where the position is for #1 relative to front/back or sides, as long as at TDC for #1 you identify where the rotor is pointing, and use the cap terminal at that position for the #1 spark plug wire...

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks Richard. What I am trying to say is that I screwed up royally and set the engine 180* out because of A) stupidity, B) senility, C) brain fade, take your pick. There is nothing wrong with the engine, just me.
Lou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode