Seat back release lever - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Seat back release lever

Hello again. We've noticed that the seat back release levers on our '84 spider are missing, as is the entire mechanism. Meaning that the seats just fold forward without needing to release them. Probably a bit of a safety problem. Anyway, I have not been able to located a replacement part, or much discussion of these mechanisms on Spiders - I imagine they don't fail very often. Does anyone have a source for these parts, or even a diagram of the components, so that I could figure out what exactly is missing? I am still a number of posts short before I can post pictures, but I will get some up as soon as I can. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Garage
Might be something to get used from Alfa Parts Exchange in California.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll give them a call as soon as I know exactly what to ask for. Obviously the seat hinge is intact, but there doesn't appear to be any remnants of the locking/latching mechanism. Has anyone ever taken one apart, or found a diagram?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Garage
There is not a lot to them, took mine apart when I recovered my seats. Just hexagonal rod, a hooked latch, handle, and spring, if a recall correctly. I bet the CarDisc manual has an exploded view... I will check it out, I am almost home....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM

maybe someone replaced the latched exterior hinges with unlatched interior hinges?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Garage
I found the parts on the CarDisc but they do not list the individual parts, only the entire mechanism. That makes me assume that the individual pieces are not available unless possibly at a Pick and Pull or something. I would have posted a screenshot of the shop manual page but I could not figure it out....
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:33 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Can you please post a picture of the hinge mechanisms?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM

yeah the latched hinges are welded together from what i remember. i dont think you're going to be able to replace the latch mechanism. i'd start looking for the hinge/bracket

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Passe...-/173665619688
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:27 PM

Garage
Is this the piece you need?
Attached Images

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by architeuthis View Post
yeah the latched hinges are welded together from what i remember. i dont think you're going to be able to replace the latch mechanism. i'd start looking for the hinge/bracket
Yep, found these on eBay this morning... seems that $90 is about the going rate. Will have to call the local junk yard and see if they have any spiders.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Can you please post a picture of the hinge mechanisms?
Just got my post count up, but unfortunately forgot to get a picture of the hinge. Will grab one this weekend. Here's a photo of the car in the mean time :-)
Attached Images

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera928 View Post
Is this the piece you need?
Yes! Specifically the seat is missing the lever and the hook, as far as I recall. Not sure how that came to be, but we will probably disassemble them this weekend and see what may have transpired.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

So here is what we have... The latching hinge may very well have been replaced with an interior non-latching one, but I can't tell for sure. The seats have been removed at some point, as there is "new" hardware attaching them to the floor (another thing to replace). Did these seats ever come without latching hinges?
Attached Images

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:17 AM

your hinges look a bit of a mish mash.

more like GTV seat release levers (w/o the lever or the hook, and with some odd bolts that are not factory) in the hammered gray look.

Remember, for any hinge to work your seats need the metal bit sticking out (circled in red), which, if my memory serves me, is part of the seat pan itself on a spider.

I can't see that in your photos above....has it snapped off maybe or been hacksawed off or something?
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 08-24-2019 at 02:21 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:06 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It is possible that the inside hinge of the opposite seat has been placed on the outside seat. Only the outside hinge has a latching mechanism. The 67 Spider did not have a latching mechanism but used a plastic catch that held the outside of the seat hinge. These failed quite frequently and only in the past few years has there been a repo substitute. Since you mention that the seat mounting is incorrect you may want to check that you have the right seat pan. If the round pin were missing, that side of the seat would sag as the pin is also the travel stop. The 67 Spider has a flat plate as the travel stop.
I have a box full of S3 hinges if you have that need.
Cheers, jon
spiderserie4 likes this.

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode