89 Quad No Start - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By spiderserie4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

89 Quad No Start

Hello again

I am in need of help again with my spider. I had an incident about a week ago after I washed the exterior of the spider and on leaving the car wash on a left turn my instruments went haywire and the car stalled and would not start. The starter motor sounded strange almost a winning noise. On opening the engine compartment there was a burning smell. Over the last week I have worked on some cosmetic issues but today I checked things over. I connected a new battery and noticed that when trying to start the car the starter was sounding normal but slow and struggling. The battery cables were getting hot. My spider has also a turn off switch on the negative side and I thought that might be an issue but why would that suddenly fail. I am thinking the starter is failing but I want to know what to check over. I hear the ground strap could be an issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 AM

With the battery switched off (disconnected), check the connections on the starter motor itself are tight and clean, not abraded somewhere and/or shorting.
Check the main starter wire bundle in the connector block on inner fender (driver's side) are also tight.

Is the starter itself tight, are the 3 mounting bolts in place?

If you have the turnoff switch that has a plastic turn knob, these are fairly poorly made, I have had 3 that have just fallen apart, the metal is just some sort of cheap base metal. .....just as a test you could remove it out of the equation and connect the battery cable direct to battery.
alfabeach likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I have concentrated on the block on the drivers side. I have discovered poor contacts and have sanded and cleaned them and added dialectic grease. I also noticed a 20 amp fuse attached to the right side of the block that had failed badly. It was slightly melted. I replaced the 20 amp fuse and will re assemble. I am trying to figure out what that 20 amp fuse is for? I will keep updating. I will replace the ground cable to the battery as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza69 View Post
I also noticed a 20 amp fuse attached to the right side of the block that had failed badly. It was slightly melted. I replaced the 20 amp fuse and will re assemble. I am trying to figure out what that 20 amp fuse is for?
there is no fuse there normally. Can you follow the wires, is it connected in that block to one of the thick red wires?

My guess would be someone has fitted a starter relay and taken the live feed from that connector block. A 20A fuse would be correct for the starter relay. But a melted fuse connector is not good, so you need to find out why. The live feed wire for a starter relay should not be thin, say a 12AWG at least.

But for that 'starter relay' theory to be correct, somewhere along the line the wire from fuse holder should lead to a relay. The wire will go to pin #30 of the relay.
A relay, if fitted, could also be causing trouble.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

its not connected to the block at all. Some one installed a clifford alarm or after market stereo in the car so I think it might be related to that but the block is not connected. it uses one of the block attachment screws to keep it in place. it goes into the wires that run along the inside drivers side quarter panel.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza69 View Post
Hello again

I am in need of help again with my spider. I had an incident about a week ago after I washed the exterior of the spider and on leaving the car wash on a left turn my instruments went haywire and the car stalled and would not start.
Not sure what kind of car wash you went to, but an official Alfa Romeo convertible top video (that came on the CD of manuals I got from cardisc.com) says to treat the top like an umbrella, as it is not designed to withstand major rainstorms or automatic car washes.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode