Questions - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Questions

I just aquired a 1985 spider graduate. At 20 years old i owned a guliette 1600. Sold it at 21 to go out to Wyoming to seek my fame and fortune. Been looking for another spider since. This wasn’t my first choice, but a choice i could afford. Car seem pretty tight. Interior and exterior excellent. Engine good. Tranny, suspect syncro in 2nd. First obstacle was clutch. Would not disengage. Pedal was low. Replaced all the hydraulics. Works fine now but pedal is about 1 inch higher than brake. Any ideas. Next, front end seems clanky over rough roads. Going to replace shocks and 1 bad bushing. I see i can buy Koni or Blistine shocks. Any advice. Only driving for pleasure. Next. What is 105, vs 115. Notice these terms are use in some parts ordering. I have been purchsing from Centerline, rock auto, and Vick auto. Any other suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the BB.

I'll try a few answers for you. But first I have to remind you of our unwritten rule regarding photos. We like photos. Thus we insist you post some! That also helps know the important details so we can give you proper advice. Details like 'what color is your Spider?'

Anyway, 2nd gear synchros tend to wear the most/first. But it is worth trying the correct oil in the transmission. The Alfa synchros need a certain amount of friction to work properly. Try RedLine 75w-90 NS (the NS is important). There are many reports of using the right oil can make a noticeable improvement. It won't repair a totally trashed synchro but it is worth trying. Another thing about the Alfa transmission - they can crunch if you are stopped and try to quickly shift into first. The trick is to move the shift lever partially into another gear (say 2nd or 3rd) then shift into 1st. This uses the other gear's synchro to stop the spinning gears and allow a quick & quiet shift into first.

The clutch pedal normally sits a little higher than the brake pedal. More worrisome is a clutch pedal that sits significantly lower than the brake pedal. In that case the weld on the pedal pivot shaft is suspect (a known weakness). I don't recall off hand if there is a bumper for the clutch pedal when it is at rest. If you can get your head down into the footwell check for any evidence of a missing rubber bumper that'd hold the pedal down a fraction of an inch.

I suspect any quality shock will work fine. I have Koni shocks in our Spider - because it came that way from the previous owner. When I bought it they were set too hard - ruined the handling. I reset to the nearly full soft - much better!

I have to let someone more knowledgeable then me explain the 105/115 meanings. I get confused by that, too.

Oh, one other thing. Find your User Control Panel and add a general location. This helps others know where you are - it can be useful info for local knowledge.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the great info. I will post a picture and update location. I did replace the pivot arm. just pretty impressed with myself. pulled the clevis pin thru with floral wire first time. one thing i noticed with this spider is that it's a lot tighter for my knees than the guliette. with the guliette I swear i could put the seat all the way back and not touch the pedals. I'm 6'4". thinking that maybe a smaller diameter steereing wheel might help. It's just that i love the original wood wheel. I am definitely going to replace the trans oil. is what you recommended synthetic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:57 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
I think the Redline 75w-90NS is not synthetic. https://www.redlineoil.com/75w90-ns-gl-5-gear-oil

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Full synthetic. Read the bottle.

Erik
'66 GTV racecar, '71 Spider racecar, '74 GTV street car, '71 GTV project
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
Well, duh, there it is right on the label...

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

With respect to gaining a little knee room, many if not all Spiders came from the factory with limiting stops at the rear of the seat rails. These can be removed and will allow the seat to move back another inch and a half or so. Do a search within the Spider forum and some threads will come up on this simple mod.

A smaller diameter wheel helps with knee clearance as well. I'm using a 350mm wood rim wheel from Centerline and I added a 1" deep spacer between the wheel and hub. These two changes help the leg/knee room hassle.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&msalfa View Post
I have been purchsing from Centerline, rock auto, and Vick auto. Any other suggestions.
quite a few actually

Some of the UK parts guys (Classic alfa, Alfaholics, Highwood, EB Spares etc) are excellent with really fast delivery

Roadtrip made a great list here:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/37372-post1.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:16 AM

Alfa Romeo model-identification-series chart. Your 1985 Spider is a 115.02
https://centerlinealfa.com/sites/cen...t/model_ID.pdf

ALFA ANDY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode