Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Late 1968 1750 Spider Veloce Purchased

20K views 104 replies 30 participants last post by  lm2504me 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought late 1968 1750 Spider Veloce AR1480672. USA version Red/ Black, Black Plate California car from new. Spent its entire time in California.
First owner purchased 3/14/1969, Second owner purchased in 1979, Third owner purchased in 1981, and I purchased this weekend 8/18/2019.
Been stored since 2005 in the owner's garage.

I have the registration of the first owner and invoices for service from second and third owner.
I will be going through all the components, engine, paint / body, suspension, electric, etc...
I picked up original 1969 and 1970 1750 Spider Veloce Owner's manuals at Concorso Italiano. Including original Alfa 1750 Spider Veloce brochures and factory info.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Congratulations on your "new" car. I love the 1969's quite a lot. I live in the Bay Area and am familiar with this car. The previous owner worked in rea estate in the Half Moon Bay area with my mother. It looked like the owner did a good job of preparing the car for storage as I recall. Hopefully you will get it road worthy again soon.

Do you intend to restore the car?

Good find on the bits at the Concorso. I walked and walked the show and did not see where the vendors were that were selling car parts. I thought perhaps the show no longer allowed sale of things like that for cars.

Enjoy your car and keep us posted on your progress.

#6 ·
Congrats. We have an original ‘69 w/85K ish miles and love it. Sooooooo much fun to drive. Enjoy it.
(Question, is this ‘another’ ‘69 making for two currently?)

#11 ·
Congrats! Have a 69 boattail as well and love it. Running SPICA with shankle intake because it makes it sound like a carburated car so I totally get why you want to do the conversion. Strangely I'm much more comfortable with SPICA than carbs, having had a SPICA spider as my first ever car and having never owned a carburated car. So mine with stay SPICA. Keep your parts though. I think there were only 300 SPICA 69 SPIDERS ever made so you may one day want to get her back to original. Congrats and drive her as much as you can!

#13 ·
Excellent choice. Be interesting to see how you feel this compares to the 1600. I have had both and prefer the 1750 but that's not to say that the1600 wasn't charming.

You might want to give the SPICA a chance. If the pump is in good shape they are amazingly reliable and just as powerful as the carb setup. Otoh, if you're planning on hotrodding the motor then carbs are the way to go. Actually if you're going that way I'd pull the 1750 with the SPICA, wrap it in plastic and go build up a hot 2L. More power for less money...

Good luck, more pictures!

#14 ·
The last service invoice advised the replacement of the Spica fuel injection pump or install webers. Camisa Motors. The 1750 was put in storage not too long after that.
It has been hit in front and rear. Repaired, but again this Spider will be used for driving around. I will have to look into 2 liter motor.
More pictures will be coming. I injured my foot when I got it home off trailer. Ouch

#16 ·
Do the notes indicate what the issue was with the SPICA? The primary failure mode is fuel leaking into the oil. Most of the "bad" SPICAs I've worked on turned out to be fine with the issue being incorrect setup. If you are a gearhead and/or are willing to learn there are great resources on the forum to correct that.

As far as the 2L, it's a drop in swap. They are plentiful and you can pick up a rebuildable, complete motor pretty cheap. Parts are readily available and the motors are straightforward to work on with standard tools.

#17 ·
Congratulations Richard, that looks like a great find! It appears you could just change the fluids and go. I'd keep the Spica, even if I had to send it to Wes Ingram for a rebuild. I drove my first Alfa, a '74 Spider 65,000 miles and never touched the Spica -only changed the Spica oil and filter.

Not a fan of those Momo wheels...stock wheels look better as do many period alloys.

Good luck, I hope your foot gets better quick.

Mark

#18 ·
if the Momos are period 1970's Momo (Momo Vega), they are valuable and very sought after on both sides of the pond:)
So, don't give them away.
you can buy replicas these days of course (Highwood, UK) for about 1/2 price of the value of originals

#22 ·
If the Spica pump is worn out at least give it to Wes. New parts for these are not being made and he is really the only scource for rebuilds. As these cars get rarer there will be an increasing number of people who want to de-euronize and return them to their original NA configurations. Hard to believe maybe but already happening with Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s big rubber bumpers, side marker lights and the whole nine yards. Somebody will eventually use that pump.

#30 ·
I will have to update the Duetto Registry and etc. with me as the new owner of AR1480672.
Previous owner had carpeting installed in the interior with padding. Due to the high moisture area of Half Moon Bay, I am removing all of the carpeting (Mildew smell) and will be replacing with new correct rubber/plastic mats and correct two piece tunnel carpeting. I will have to check the integrity of the foot pans. Note non-hanging pedals. My engine number is 00551 01163. Early 1969. My car first sold 3/14/69.
I spent alot of time this weekend removing tools, some original tool kit, spark plugs, screws, and the such in the rear area of the trunk where the rear lights reside. Luckily, I have a new high resolution digital inspection camera with 39" cable by Cen-Tech. I bought off ebay for $100 less than Harbor Freight. It took hours to retrieve the stuff using a magnet.
I replaced the original hood (banged up, but repaired) with a used early 70's Alfa Spider hood. Fits perfect.
I also replaced the broken cigarette lighter with a NOS one I had.

Attachments

#31 ·
Richard, that's disgusting! <KIDDING!!> My '78 is rusting audibly.

Seeing the photos, I've about as green a complexion as an oak leaf in spring. Beautiful car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.