• 1 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By ghnl
  • 2 Post By Max Pershyn
  • 1 Post By Max Pershyn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Brand new 1-2 year old tires?

Tires are stamped on them when they were manufactured.

When you purchase a new set of tires, how old should they be?

Ideally that same year would be best, but what about buying brand new tires that are stamped 1-2 years old?

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post

Ideally that same year would be best, but what about buying brand new tires that are stamped 1-2 years old?

Thanks
Here is some information from Tire Rack

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?p=...Tire%20Be&rk=1

Doug

Doug - 1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
Member of the Italian Car Club of North Texas & AROC
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:39 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
They are still going to need to be replaced when they are between 6-10 years old (per the tire date code, not how long you own them). Will you likely wear them out in that time? If so then it probably makes little difference. But since many of us drive our Alfas only a few thousand miles a year, I'd want the newest tires I could get.
pantera928 likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I saw a nice set of Bridgestone's but they were stamped 2018, so I was just wondering if they would be considered "old" even though they are new.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:54 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
If they've been stored out of the sun and never mounted on rims then they'd be considered new. Perhaps NOS...?
Bjorn S likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
If they've been stored out of the sun and never mounted on rims then they'd be considered new. Perhaps NOS...?
Correct - NOS.

Still would prefer a tire manufactured in 2019.

Thanks

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:08 AM

I just put another set of $$$ Michelins on the rear of my E-46 BMW M-3. These usually last me 20-30,000 miles. The set I removed was made in 2017 and new in 2017. The set I just installed last week were also made in 2017. I will have used them up by 2021, when they will be only 4 years old. This is a performance car that I drive as a performance car, with summer only, performance tires. If they happen to last 6 years, I still will not worry about age related failure as they come from a quality name manufacturer and are a speciality application design which are used as designed.
Does this help?

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
I just put another set of $$$ Michelins on the rear of my E-46 BMW M-3. These usually last me 20-30,000 miles. The set I removed was made in 2017 and new in 2017. The set I just installed last week were also made in 2017. I will have used them up by 2021, when they will be only 4 years old. This is a performance car that I drive as a performance car, with summer only, performance tires. If they happen to last 6 years, I still will not worry about age related failure as they come from a quality name manufacturer and are a speciality application design which are used as designed.
Does this help?
Thanks Gordon.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Garage
The conditions that age rubber and cause degradation, at least rubber tires, are not really prevalent in a warehouse storage rack with the tires in inventory. I'm talking about temperature extremes, exposure to road salt, chemicals and storm water, UV rays and direct sunlight. Even inflation and loading plays a part, if you think about it.

Obviously, there's always a limit, but I think we'd be surprised at how much time tires spend in storage and transport before they are finally sold and mounted as new tires.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Thanks
I always think about the supply chain in this case. 1 year it is normal and can be considered as the latest supply. 2 years it is a leftover from the previous season. In any case try to find the most fresh week of the manufacturing. If you have a chance, check a batch of tires in a warehouse by yourself or ask a sales person
alfaloco and Vivace like this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
I saw a nice set of Bridgestone's but they were stamped 2018, so I was just wondering if they would be considered "old" even though they are new.
If they were made in Japan, it takes about 4-5 months to get them in North America, then they had sit in a central distribution center for few month. Even travelling between local warehouses takes from 1 to 2 weeks.

I think 2019 year of production you can find in November
alfaloco likes this.

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 08-18-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Anyone use Simple Tire?

Prices and selection are much cheaper than Tire Rack but I think I know why.

Some of the tires they sell can be NOS (4 years old).

We are unable to check DOT on specific tires. We use data and technology to aggregate tire inventory from more than 500 suppliers across the country. All of our tires are within 4 years. Most of the tires closer to that 4-year-old DOT are discontinued models, while most of our tires could range from 6 months-2 years.

That seems like a long time for a brand new tire even NOS.

Thanks

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
Wow, that's like giving away 4 years of life in your tires. Unless they're very cheap...but then you'll have to replace them sooner, so I'm not sure about the savings.

Maybe they're like wine, the older the better! They taste great, but don't put them on your car!

1967 1600 Spider
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 AM

The biggest problem with a discontinued tires you can't find a spare one (in a case of the sidewall puncture for instance)

P.S. I did the same research about 1 year ago and bought 5 tires of Good Year Eagle Sport. It is a good quality tires, available in H and V speed ratings for 195/60 R15.
Basically it's the only one choice we have now. Almost all other available tires of this size are low performance long lasting touring tires. We also can buy track tires of this size but I would say our cars and general roads are not suitable for them.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Wow, that's like giving away 4 years of life in your tires. Unless they're very cheap...but then you'll have to replace them sooner, so I'm not sure about the savings.

Maybe they're like wine, the older the better! They taste great, but don't put them on your car!
I think most of these discount online tire stores are like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode