Stripping body for re paint - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Stripping body for re paint

So I have to get the S4 body ready for re paint, started stripping some of the chrome, but how does the chrome strip on the door come off? How does the black strip form the inside come off?

Does the door handle only have on bolt holding it to the door?

Also does anyone know what the green thing is for? Does the door interior handle hook to it?

Thanks for any info
Attached Images

Last edited by rettilieno; 08-16-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Also trying to figure out how to remove this emblem on the trunk. I assumed it could be popped out from the inside of the trunk lid, but I was wrong. It's weird because I thought it was a hard emblem, but it caved in when I pushed on it trying to remove it.
Attached Images

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If the emblem is like the one on the S3 trunk, it is has a sticky adhesive backing.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Jedispey
- 1987 Spider Veloce "Luigi"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mine waiting to go back on the car.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Jedispey
- 1987 Spider Veloce "Luigi"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

How many MM is the rear emblem? And the front one on a S4 seems smaller than the average one.

So anyone with any advice how to get the black and chrome strips off the door?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
They lift straight up and off. They are both held on with U-shaped tinnerman-type clips that grip onto the vertical steel edges of the door skin.

Door handles are held on by 3 nuts - there are 2 U-shaped metal brackets, one held with one nut, the other with 2 nuts. Disconnect the actuator linkage on handle. With nuts removed, and brackets slid off the studs attached to the handle castings, they can then be removed. Bit of a wiggle to get the mechanism on reverse side of handles through the oval cutout in door skin. Note they are left and right handed - you might mark L and R on the back of handles with a marker, to keep them straight.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rettilieno View Post
So I have to get the S4 body ready for re paint, started stripping some of the chrome, but how does the chrome strip on the door come off?
I always thought it was screwed on so you needed to pull off the black strip first, then you should see some little screws (depends if the glass goes down far enough, I think)...however Vin says you just pop it off:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6334553-post7.html

Quote:
How does the black strip form the inside come off?
carefully lift it off upwards, it is held on by 3 or 4 clips. It is quite fragile at the front edge and that is where it always snaps. What works for me is a block of wood, hold it under the strip then slowly hammer it up, working along the whole length, especially where the clips are located...it is these you have to loosen.
lots more info here on that strip:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...re-alfabb.html

Quote:
Does the door handle only have on bolt holding it to the door?
nothing that simple on an alfa
Chris explains it well in the post above.

Quote:
Also does anyone know what the green thing is for? Does the door interior handle hook to it?
yes. There is a screw facing up on the hand grip part of the big armrest that screws into that. That is the main mounting point that allows you to pull the door shut without pulling off the whole door panel card.

the rear trunk emblem is best removed (now that you have damaged it already, so replacement needed) by carefully drilling a couple of holes in the emblem, then inserting some screws and trying to lift it off like that. It can be really stuck. New badges come with sticky and 2 pins. You just snip off the pins.
Or try the thin fishing line method to get under an edge and work it around cutting through the glue. I couldn't get any fishing line under mine at all, so I followed this thread and used the drill & screw method...
looks scary, but if you are careful you do not need to scratch the bodywork...tape all around it first and don't drill deep....you can get thru it easy its only made of junk metal
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...e-removal.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 08-20-2019 at 02:54 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:46 AM

Garage
10 to 30 pound test braided fishing line works great to remove tape on emblems but you may be able to get them off using dental floss. You need to be able to get the floss under the emblem to where the two sided tape is -then 'saw' through the tape using the floss.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode