• 1 Post By radamm
  • 1 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By Jack5j

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Changing Fuel Injector hoses?

Hello all,
Does anyone have experience, or a resource to point me to, on how to change the injector hoses? The ones that are about 1-1/2" long between the fuel rail and the injectors?
I have a manual, but all it cryptically says is "Use a welder" at the metal bushing. The 'welder' pictured looks like an old soldering gun.
The car had a fire from a split hose, so I want to change all 4...without causing any new leaks.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yep, that's a soldering gun/iron. You would not want to knick the barbs on the fitting.
Jack5j likes this.

MEMBRO LATO OSCURO

69 850 Spider (A fond college days' memory)
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:39 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Yes, I guess the translation made a 'soldering iron' come out as a 'welder'. The rationale is to melt through the old hose instead of using a knife which might nick the hose barbs leading to a leak.

The hoses have to be a specific size - 7.5mm ID. 1/4" is too small, 5/16" is too large. Remember to put the cup shaped washers on first - they keep the ends of the hose from mushrooming out.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can you explain the process? Is it melting the hose to the bushing? The replacement kits have no instructions and the picture is all that is in the shop manual. Do the new hoses and metal bushings just slide on and held with pressure?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:22 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Heat up the soldering iron, melt through the hose until it releases its grip on the hose barbs (yes it is safe to use a hot soldering iron - but no open flames or lit cigarettes!). Cut the new hoses to length, make sure the cup washer is in position and push the new hoses into place. I put a drop of light oil on the hose barbs to make it easy to slide the hoses all the way on - I don't know if that is needed or not but it hasn't hurt any that I've done.

The short hoses that come with some of the 'kits' I've seen may be too short. I bought a few feet of 7.5mm ID FI hose and cut what I need from that.

The longer hose that goes to the Cold Start Injector has a hose clamp at one end & the cup washer at the other. It should be a proper FI style hose clamp - not a hardware store worm drive.
Attached Images

Jack5j likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
There's a camp that says to use the FI hose clamps on the fuel-injector hoses. Initially, I was not in that camp. Now, I am firmly in, as described in the cautionary thread below.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...injection.html

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
THANK YOU!!! I have to go buy a "welder"! (I have only needed a battery operated one.)
The hose kits came from a well known supplier and are INDEED almost 1/4" shorter than what is on there. I will get fuel line, too!
Greatly appreciated, ghnl!
I just read sloboy89's thread...exact same here, except this one DID catch fire! I posted pics in my first post here. I just got the new wiring harnesses through the fire wall and can't let THIS happen again.
sloboy89 likes this.

Last edited by Jack5j; 08-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all. I got the hoses off the rail and the injectors out and cleaned. They were very brittle, probably some from the fire but many certainly from age.
I'll start putting it back together tomorrow. Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode