Carburetor support rod (wonít fit) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Carburetor support rod (wonít fit)

Iím trying to install the centerline carburetor support rod as depicted in this picture I found on google images..

But the bushing wonít fit inside the engine mount, should I be forcing it in?

Also..

Does the centerline sticker face me or the engine?

In other words does the flush side face me or the engine?

Anyone have any nice pictures of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Rod

Grind off excess width of the bushing. The rod only fits 1 way on the Air box.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Grind off excess width of the bushing. The rod only fits 1 way on the Air box.

I do not have access to a grinder

I do not know how air box bracket is installed either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

File it off. Buy a BIG file at any hardware store.
ossodiseppia and horsewidower like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM

A Dremel works too.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM

carburetor stay

Try not to get heat into the rubber mount when you grind it. Keep a pot of water at hand.
Spica guys might not know these stays came from the factory in a few different lengths so don't assume if you obtain a second hand one it will just fit. 105 caster rod bush can be used as a replacement bush.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Sorry centerline but what a junk product..

I had to spend over two hours filing both sides hoping I donít damage the bushing.

When purchasing a custom fit product we should expect it to fit, period. I respect that different engine mounts make that a difficult task but figure it out!!!

In addition, include the necessary hardware!

Itís a 10mm and two 7mm..

How much do bolts cost them?!?!

Several trips to the hardware store and busted knuckles for something that should have taken 5 minutes to install.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Holes/bolts

Actually the holes are for 6mm bolts

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Never pass up an excuse to buy more tools or garage equipment.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Actually the holes are for 6mm bolts

Perfect example as to why you should provide hardware for a component like this.

Remember I am not replacing an existing part in which case all the hardware would be there.

I am converting from spica to Webers..
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Oil pan nuts and bolts should fit.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

Welcome to the world of, as the Brits call, pattern parts.
Recently tried to install an aftermarket "copy" of a Marelli electronic distributor pickup. I should have known what was ahead as the rubber thru bushing was wrong and required trimming with a razor blade. It went downhill from there. Buy used or original if you can.
Jim
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Centerline custom built parts are usually good and in the case of the Weber bellcrank better than the original. I am surprised that the support rod did not fit.
My intake manifold is raised compared with a stock one and I "made" a support by cutting and welding a stock one. It is jobs like that that make wrenching my Alfa's more interesting.
OTOH it is sad that a lot of aftermarket parts are of much lower quality than OEM but that is something we have to live with when we drive old cars that were produced in low numbers. The situation is not helped when many Alfa owners buy the cheapest parts that they can find and kill the market for better parts that would be more expensive to produce,
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Your Picture shows the issue, probably when the bolt for the starter hold down was tightened it slightly tightened the gap at the motor mount. The car would have had a solid spacer that many have been missing there to stop the motor mount from bending there as well. Good luck
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:14 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
File it off. Buy a BIG file at any hardware store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
A Dremel works too.

In the past out of desperation, I've used the sidewalk.
JCDK likes this.

Brian __________________________________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode