Carburetor support rod (wonít fit) - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:18 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremere613 View Post
Sorry centerline but what a junk product..
Did you consider that it could be a motor mount not made to spec?
Gordon Raymond likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteud96 View Post
Your Picture shows the issue, probably when the bolt for the starter hold down was tightened it slightly tightened the gap at the motor mount. The car would have had a solid spacer that many have been missing there to stop the motor mount from bending there as well. Good luck

That picture was taken from google images.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Did you consider that it could be a motor mount not made to spec?

Centerline could have easily planned for this discrepancy, shims or even a different mounting point such as the spica bracket would suffice.

Iíve ordered many aftermarket items in the past and this product fails to meet expectations.

5 minute task turned into an all day affair, grinding & going to the hardware store. Completely unnecessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Observe the linkages and the support while your assistant pushes the gas pedal to the floor. I picked up 40 HP after I determined that my support was preventing the Webers from opening fully.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:28 PM

I would hesitate to throw Centerline under the bus. I just added a support to my Webers and had a similar problem. I used an old Alfa support I had but I had to replace the bushing that attaches to the motor mount and found I had an interference fit. While I can't be sure, I'd bet that bushing is the same bushing that all the vendors sell and is the bushing that Centerline uses in its support rod. I doubt each vendor has its own manufacturer that makes these since the market is so small. I could be wrong. While it didn't take me 2 hours (Dremel vs file) I was pretty happy that I could find what seemed like a semi-obscure part for $6 to fix my old support rod.
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The bushing is the same from all the sellers. I had to trim down the barrel on the one that came from Classic Alfa.

Welcome to the world of reproduction parts. The round style motor mounts are not correct either.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:18 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Centerline could have easily planned for this discrepancy, shims or even a different mounting point such as the spica bracket would suffice.
You can't plan for every scenario. You car has aftermarket gaskets, carb and engine mounts. If they are out of tolerance, that support is never gonna fit.

Quote:
Iíve ordered many aftermarket items in the past and this product fails to meet expectations.
The expectation that something is going to fit perfectly with a bunch of other aftermarket parts is a false expectation.

Quote:
5 minute task turned into an all day affair, grinding & going to the hardware store. Completely unnecessary.
It seems that others have had a similar experience. They just rolled with it.

Honestly, dude. Sit back and have a cold one. Once everything gets together and set up, this will all be forgotten.
Attached Images

stphers and Yachtman like this.

Brian __________________________________

post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Attitude

You must be a "Millennial" as you think everything should be perfect when handed to you.
Stop trying to be a mechanic. You certainly are not.

Welcome to the world of the ignore list.
stphers likes this.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
You must be a "Millennial" as you think everything should be perfect when handed to you.

Stop trying to be a mechanic. You certainly are not.

Welcome to the world of the ignore list.

Thanks for being so welcoming, Iím new to the world of Alfa and I am now seeing exactly how warm the gate keepers can be.

I really hope this hobby does not die off, consider being more helpful to those that are new to the hobby.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for being so welcoming, Iím new to the world of Alfa and I am now seeing exactly how warm the gate keepers can be.

I really hope this hobby does not die off, consider being more helpful to those that are new to the hobby.

Have you gotten a grinder yet? Yard sale, Hobo Freight......

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:18 AM

As an alternative viewpoint, I recently replaced the bush (bought from Classic Alfa) in my carb stay bar - & it fitted 'straight out of the box' with absolutely no need for any modification:

- old:

- new:

This warning forms part of the bush description on Classic Alfa's website:

"Beware cheaper version where the front suspension castor arm bush is used - it doesn't fit inside the engine mount !"

Andy
'59 Giulietta Sprint & '69 1750 Spider Veloce
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
The bushing is the same from all the sellers. I had to trim down the barrel on the one that came from Classic Alfa.

Welcome to the world of reproduction parts. The round style motor mounts are not correct either.
Y' know.. I started a thread in the wrong forum about poster locations and that resulted in a blizzard of ill-will. Perhaps this new "hobby-ist" should start a thread on the shortcomings and pitfalls of reproduction parts. There is plenty of fodder out there that would benefit the community and he seems to have the passion to correct it... I think more than half of the stuff reproduced now ends up stashed on a shelf for a long term restoration with the owner unaware the piece is junk. And then there are the pieces that end up in the waste bin right away. It's almost never the supplier's fault. They just don't have the resources of Consumer's Report to test everything. Carry on with the ranting or do something about it and shutdown the pipe line of junk. Uncle member in good standing of the "Pat Braden Use-it- til- it -is- totally - worn- out" club

Last edited by divotandtralee; 08-17-2019 at 03:20 AM.
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry centerline but what a junk product..

I had to spend over two hours filing both sides hoping I donít damage the bushing.

When purchasing a custom fit product we should expect it to fit, period. I respect that different engine mounts make that a difficult task but figure it out!!!

In addition, include the necessary hardware!

Itís a 10mm and two 7mm..

How much do bolts cost them?!?!

Several trips to the hardware store and busted knuckles for something that should have taken 5 minutes to install.
One should not work on a car / DIY if such a 'problem' requires 2 hrs.

It's a sign.

R.I.P. Alfa Romeo 1910 - 1986. 1987---> Badge engineering since then.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Sign?

Not just a sign, with no knowledge, no tools, he should drop the mechanics and work on his attitude.
Alfaboutvegas likes this.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:

This site is tremendously welcoming and helpful. You received a solution to your problem 16 minutes after you submitted your initial post. After that, you explained that you didn't have access to a grinder (i.e. the first solution), and then you immediately got a second work-around. You didn't like that solution either. People get tired of trying to be helpful if you don't like their solutions but instead continue to bash the suppliers.

I'm not always happy with our suppliers. But when I get a product from one that isn't correct, I call them up to discuss it directly.
Gordon Raymond and stphers like this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode