Tire Manufacturer? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Tire Manufacturer?

Looks like I am going to replace my tires soon due to them being 10+ years old.

I am very familiar with the name brand tires (Pirelli, Dunlop, Yokohama, Continental, etc.).

Just browsing on Discount Tire Direct and they have tires that I have never heard of, but many come back with very good reviews (Westlake, Milestar, Sentury, etc.)

Anyone go with the non-branded tires?

When I had my Saab I opted to go with a non-name brand tire (Fulda), German tire that was probably the best tire I ever owned.

I only put on about 1,000 - 2,000 miles a year and never drive in bad weather.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
Frankly, I would stick with the known brands that are familiar to us. I certainly do.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM

It's a bit of a shell game with tires.....I have well known German tires made in Brazil and little known tires made in Holland! And Japanese Brand tires made in Korea [I think!] on my latest car!
All seem to work well, althou prices vary a lot. Best to get recomendations from currant owners and get what fits your needs, not just on brand.
Lots of Alfa racer types use fine Korean tires with great results and low costs!!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage
What size are you looking for?

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
Just browsing on Discount Tire Direct and they have tires that I have never heard of, but many come back with very good reviews (Westlake, Milestar, Sentury, etc.)
Please define "very good reviews". Were they:

1) I just bought a set for my minivan yesterday. They're round, they're black, the're cheap - what's not to like?

OR

2) I bought a set for my Cobra 30,000 miles ago. Since then I've used them for spirited street and track use. Yea, the guys in the Cobra club laugh at the name Westlake / Milestar / Sentury, but they shut up after I've blown their doors off.

There is some snob appeal in installing a European brand tire (even though they are probably manufactured in Alabama or Azerbaijan) on a European marque car.
adowns likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-12-2019 at 02:54 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalfas View Post
What size are you looking for?
195/60R15

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Please define "very good reviews". Were they:

1) I just bought a set for my minivan yesterday. They're round, they're black, they were cheap - what's not to like?

OR

2) I bought a set for my Cobra 30,000 miles ago. Since then I've used them for spirited street and track use. Yea, the guys in the Cobra club laugh at the name Westlake / Milestar / Sentury, but after I've blown their doors off, they shut up.

There is some snob appeal in installing a European brand tire (even though they are probably manufactured in Alabama or Azerbaijan) on a European marque car.
I did not actually go through all the reviews.

I looked at the ratings given based on stars.

Regardless, have you had experience with the non-name brands?

I care little about what other people think if I decide to go with a non-name branded tire, as long as it is a good tire.

Thanks

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Regardless, have you had experience with the non-name brands?
Sure. I've used Asian brands with obscure names, as well as tires private labeled by the big chain stores. For a daily driver, they're fine. But would I put a Black Lion tire on one of my Alfas? No, I don't think so.

Keep in mind that here in the US, all tires have to pass some sort of a certification process, so in theory, nothing can be too terrible.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post

Keep in mind that here in the US, all tires have to pass some sort of a certification process, so in theory, nothing can be too terrible.
Point well taken on this statement.

I'll do some more research on the off-brand tires.

I would consider doing the opposite of what you said.

I don't think I would use them on a daily driver, but possibly on a weekend car.

Thanks

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:58 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The Sumitomo HTR is a decent tire in the stock S4 phonedial alloy size

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:40 PM

Vredestein [Dutch] make a great tire at a nice price. I use them.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:15 AM

Garage
Fulda was a German subsidiary of The Goodyear Rubber Company. I had a set of Fulda tire; used them on two cars for almost 20 years and they still had over 50% tread when they were changed.

It is hard to beat Michelin tires. When I tried other brands, I usually regretted it and returned to Michelin. Now I just buy Michelin tires and enjoy the smooth ride. I have heard good things about Vredestein tires. One car came to me with Pirelli tires and they seem to be alright although I had a bad experience with Pirelli P-4000's being out of round, looong ago.

Mark
divotandtralee likes this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Fulda was a German subsidiary of The Goodyear Rubber Company. I had a set of Fulda tire; used them on two cars for almost 20 years and they still had over 50% tread when they were changed.

It is hard to beat Michelin tires. When I tried other brands, I usually regretted it and returned to Michelin. Now I just buy Michelin tires and enjoy the smooth ride. I have heard good things about Vredestein tires. One car came to me with Pirelli tires and they seem to be alright although I had a bad experience with Pirelli P-4000's being out of round, looong ago.

Mark
Fulda is a very good name in tires in Europe.. I would definitely stay away from any company with a China connection.. Blacklion comes to mind. Sometimes it is hard to find the company of origin even on the internet. Many just open up shell companies and call themselves Blacklion of North America thus hiding their true country where the money goes and the product might come from Mongolia.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 08-13-2019 at 04:32 AM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

There is a saying: "The worst car built today is better than the best car built 10 years ago" (IMO a general statement for passenger cars only) and this might also apply to tires. I always check the Tire Rack website since they have their own test track and, in my opinion, are the best resource for tire information https://www.tirerack.com

There are always the bottom feeder dregs of any product. IE: the "China Bomb" reputation of some tires sold for the RV market. My personal designation is "Rim Protector"; tires only suitable for keeping the vehicle rims from touching the pavement.
alfaloco likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 08-13-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I don't think I would use them on a daily driver, but possibly on a weekend car.
Yea, I see your point. Why pay for a Michelin to get a 60,000 mile warranty when you're going to install it on a weekend car that only goes a few thousand miles a year? If it takes 20 years to reach 60,000 miles, you're not getting your money's worth.

On the other hand, if you enter your Alfa in concours, you're going to look pretty silly with your $20,000 paint, $7,000 interior, and $200 set of tires (Yea, I know - many BB readers are concours bigots, but believe me, to be competitive, a car is supposed to be consistent.)
factotum likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode