17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
Dougal
Original profile tires on 101 and 105 Alfas.
For sure!
I bought my first Alfa, a 101 Spider in 1965 and as I recall went through tires too quickly. CN 36s.
Then, when I bought the very good 62 Spider in 2006 I used Vred Classic Sprints 155/80/15 on alloy wheel. Plus Koni Reds and new but close to standard springs. A little stiffer bar.
And the handling was a delight on any road surface and any road condition.
Marine Drive on the way to UBC in Vancouver is 4-lane blvd and most of the traffic runs at 90k.
The slow lane surface is always rough due to the heavy construction trucks.
The Spider rides very comfortably on the rough, but my DD is a BMW 535 i Touring Wagon.Very comfortable but the 50 ratio tires are too harsh for the rough pavement.
To get back the Vreds--the adhesion is some 40 percent better--wet or dry--than the best tires in the 1960s. Gordon Raymond says that the new tires are as good as race tires back in the day.
So there is no need to go to lower-profile tires on 101 or 105 Alfas.
It may be the case that an original 1970s Cinturato CN36 didn't give as good milage as it a Vredestein tyre that was made in the 2000s. If that was not the case then it would be a joke. It isn't a relative comparison. modern levels of build quality, and compounds have dramatically improved.

However, today the Cinturato is a much better tyre than the Vredestein. And of course the Cinturato also have the big advantage of actually looking good.

Another interesting point would be, when you fitted the wider CN36 to your car did you fit wider wheels? if not then the tyre will crown and not wear very well.

535 BMW i would fit with Michelin TRX If it is a 1980s one like my dads was https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...es.html#page=1 blimey that thing could guzzle fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:04 PM

Garage
lgbalfa
So.... lots of info, recommendations etc. in the posts above, did you decide what tires to put on your S4? I’m in a similar quandary for my Spider. My tires show little wear but I’d rather replace before signs of dry rot or tread separation show up. I also have OEM phone dials on my car. I don’t race or rally. Presently riding on Michelin’s 195 60R 15 which are comfortable and quiet, but feel just a little “sloppy” maybe? Anyway, interested in where you land. BTW. I’m hoping to maybe get to the Mercer County Italian Car Show 9/28. Maybe see you there.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:16 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

For S4 Veloce stock wheels in 195/60R15 the Sumitomo HTR A/S is a good performance tire option. I've been happy with them on my car.

You can check the list by size in Tire Rack but not too much else out there in a performance tire these days. There's a few Goodyear Eagle options but I have not tried those.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keemosabe View Post
lgbalfa
So.... lots of info, recommendations etc. in the posts above, did you decide what tires to put on your S4? I’m in a similar quandary for my Spider. My tires show little wear but I’d rather replace before signs of dry rot or tread separation show up. I also have OEM phone dials on my car. I don’t race or rally. Presently riding on Michelin’s 195 60R 15 which are comfortable and quiet, but feel just a little “sloppy” maybe? Anyway, interested in where you land. BTW. I’m hoping to maybe get to the Mercer County Italian Car Show 9/28. Maybe see you there.
Still undecided but the options that I am considering are:

1. Pirelli P4 - Currently have them and they are Italian but would like to try something different.

2. Vredestein Quatrac 5 - European tire and always liked the brand.

3. Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 - I like that it is European (Finkand) and this tire has received very good reviews.

4. Falken Ziex ZE950 - Nicest tread pattern out of all of the tires.

5. Sumitomo HTR A/S - Excellent reviews with an excellent price. can purchase for $206 for set of 4 online. Only drawback is putting on a Japanese tire on a Italian car.

Will hopefully make a decision in the next few weeks.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
For S4 Veloce stock wheels in 195/60R15 the Sumitomo HTR A/S is a good performance tire option. I've been happy with them on my car.

You can check the list by size in Tire Rack but not too much else out there in a performance tire these days. There's a few Goodyear Eagle options but I have not tried those.
I have recently looked into this based on your recommendation.

Can purchase for $206 for a brand new set on eBay from a tire seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Sumit...sAAOSwYTpdTMJ0

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium

Last edited by lgbalfa; 08-23-2019 at 09:37 PM.
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:39 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Yeah, they're cheap and work well.

Not Italian, though. But honestly in anything but a UHP tire Pirellis aren't that great. And even at the high end they're eclipsed by Michelin these days, IMO.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
I have recently looked into this based on your recommendation.

Can purchase for $206 for a brand new set on eBay from a tire seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Sumit...sAAOSwYTpdTMJ0
Check out those zig-zag sipes in the outer thread blocks. They should be quite good in the snow for an A/S tire - probably not as good as those Vredesteins you mentioned though.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 08-24-2019 at 07:58 AM.
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Garage
I have Sumitomo HTR 200s on my car and thought they were great.

David Griszkauskas

Old Stuff:
1988 Spider Graduate
1980 Honda CX500 (cool..), 1970 Harley Sprint

Aš nesuprantu
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:08 AM

Vredestein also makes a Sportrac 5 in 195/60VR15. I'm not sure if you're looking for all season or not. The Quatrac looks like it would be better for that. Here's a link. I know nothing about this seller -- it just had a link to the tire. https://www.vulcantire.com/tire_deta...SABEgKxuvD_BwE
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
Vredestein also makes a Sportrac 5 in 195/60VR15. I'm not sure if you're looking for all season or not. The Quatrac looks like it would be better for that. Here's a link. I know nothing about this seller -- it just had a link to the tire. https://www.vulcantire.com/tire_deta...SABEgKxuvD_BwE
I saw these.

I would prefer all-season.

Thanks

post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
I saw these.
I would prefer all-season.
Thanks
the Quatrac 5 from Vredestein are all season (as opposed to the Sportrac)
I have Quatrac 5 fitted in 195/60 R15 88H and am pleased, and its a nice quiet and comfortable tire.
You only have to be careful for the first few miles to rub the new rubber down a bit.

these were about 60 euros/each here, so I guess 80 bucks over there.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:38 AM

Purist here. Put Italian shoes on that body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode