Tire Manufacturer? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
Cooper is an old well known American rubber products company, out of Findlay, Ohio.
One of the reasons I tried the Milestars is the Cooper name. I was not aware of all of the history you provided but some of it.

For whatever reason, multiple attempts to balance them and trying different locations on the car have not resulted in a satisfactory balance at 55-65 mph. They were very inexpensive. I would buy Cooper tires again but not a $50 version.
alfaloco likes this.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

I recently bought a set of Yokohama Advan Fleves 205/55-15s for my Quad and its phone dial wheels. Discount Tire said that the tires are the same overall size as the factory size, and they are. I had 13 year old Hankook tires on the car and the steering was real twitchy until I got over 65 mph. Upon examination of the Hankooks, I notice a circumferential crack around each tire where the shoulder met the sidewall.

The Yokohama Advan Fleves are a high performance tire for use only in above-freezing temperatures. Perfect for me. They made a very noticeable difference in the ride, steering and cornering of the car, and they stick like glue to the road. I next installed red Koni Classics on all corners at full soft. I am good to go now for my fair weather drives. I will never wear them out, so long life is not of importance.
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Yokohama Advan Fleves 205/55-15 on my Quad. Great looks and handling. High performance and not long tread life, but I only put a few hundred miles per year on my Alfa, so who cares about tread life. The tires stick like glue and ride quietly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Not original size, stiffer sidewall. The suspension of Duetto in 1966 was not made for this tires.
Basically you got slower car, worst fuel consumption, stiffer ride, heavier tires, more stress for the suspension, steering and body (almost 35 years old)

And don't forget, you need to increase the tire pressure, if you keep the standard for 195/60 it's not correct, you need to increase it slightly. The less profile the tires have the more pressure should be. And it means even more stress for the body

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 08-16-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Besides Pirelli, Continental and Vredestein, who are other European manufacturers? Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Tire Rack test many of the tires the sell. The off name Chines brands typically do quite a bit worse in handling and braking tests, some markedly so. Is that savings worth it? I would stick with original size and see what Tire Rack sells and read their tests. Consumer Reports also tests tires.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notchback67 View Post
I never understood the concept of pouring money into a car and then to cheap out of quality rubber for your ride. Tires are the only contact point between your car and the road and should be given proper respect.
Completely agree. I'll shop and shop for price, but only among those very few tires I've already researched to be acceptable. There's a reason the no-name tire is $50 apiece less.

1967 1600 Spider
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Garage
Just to add a bit more background to the conversation, this is a list of manufacturers from Wiki. The list is much more extensive - these are just the ones I recognize or know about........

Apollo Tyre --------Apollo, Apollo Tyres South Africa, Kaizen, Maloya, Regal, Vredestein (NOTE: Vredestein is owned by Apollo of India)

Bridgestone -------Bridgestone, Firestone, Fuzion, Seiberling (Latin America), Uniroyal (Australia), Dayton, Supercat (Australia / New Zealand), Fireforce (S Africa)

Bridgestone Sabanc ----(Turkey) Bridgestone (Europe and Middle East), Lassa

Continental AG ------Continental, Barum, Euzkadi, General Tire, Gislaved, Mabor, Matador, Point S, Semperit, Sime Tyres, Viking, Uniroyal (Europe), Sportiva, Ameri*Steel, ContiRe, ContiTread, Hoosier Racing Tire

Cooper Tires -------Avon, Cooper, Dean, Eldorado, Mastercraft, Mentor, Starfire, Definity, Roadmaster, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Chengshan, Austone, Fortune, Hercules, Ironman

Goodyear --------Dębica (Poland), Douglas, Dunlop (North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand), Fierce, Fulda, Goodyear, Kelly, Sava (Slovenia), Pneumant Tires (Pneumant Reifen GmbH)

Hankook Tire ---------Aurora, Hankook, Kingstar, Laufenn

Hoosier Racing Tire ------Hoosier

Kumho Tires ----------Admiral, Marshal, Kumho, Zetum

Michelin Group ------BFGoodrich, Kleber, Kormoran (Poland), Michelin, Orium, Riken, Taurus (Hungary), Uniroyal (North America), Tigar Tyres, Strial, Sebring, Stomil Olsztyn (Poland)

Nokian Tyres ---------Nokian (this is what you need on your Volvo!), Nordman

Pirelli ------------Agom, Courier, Metzeler, Pirelli, Formula

There is a Vietnamese company called Saovang...who knew?

Sumitomo Rubber ..........Blacklion Tires (USA), Dunlop (Japan, Latin America, Asia and Africa), Falken, Goodyear (Japan), Sumitomo, Multi-Mile, Sigma, Cordovan, Vanderbilt, Ohtsu, Solar

Toyo Tire & Rubber ---------Nitto, Silverstone, Toyo

Vittoria ----------Vittoria ( nice bicycle tires), Geax

Yokohama Rubber ........Yokohama

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

1967 1600 Spider
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
Looks like I am going to replace my tires soon due to them being 10+ years old.

I am very familiar with the name brand tires (Pirelli, Dunlop, Yokohama, Continental, etc.).

Just browsing on Discount Tire Direct and they have tires that I have never heard of, but many come back with very good reviews (Westlake, Milestar, Sentury, etc.)

Anyone go with the non-branded tires?

When I had my Saab I opted to go with a non-name brand tire (Fulda), German tire that was probably the best tire I ever owned.

I only put on about 1,000 - 2,000 miles a year and never drive in bad weather.

Thanks
Hi

Can i suggest that you stick with the good stuff https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...eo/spider.html Pirelli Cinturato or Michelin XAS.

it seems odd to me that you have the perfect tyres available for your cars, made by the worlds best tyre manufacturers. The tyres that Alfa themselves chose to fit to their cars. This is not for fashoin reasons this is for the handling. The fact they look right is incidental.

A little Spider is a relatively light weight rear wheel drive car, with long traveling suspention that rolls in the corners. As a result it handles best with a relatively thin tyre with rounded shoulders.

If you are going to stiffen the suspention, add advers camber etc then yep you can derive more grip in the corners out of a wider tyre, but on a car that is set upto give a nice ride and hanndling on the road then they will not handle as well in the corners on a modern carcass and the handling will get worse with a wider lower profile tyre.

It constantly amazes me that people are prepared to spoil the handling of their car to save a few quid on tyres. In the grand scale of things they are cheap compared to the other things you do to your cars.

yes you will find a lot of people that have spoiled their handling with fatter modern tyres and they will strongly coment on here that the handling is not spoiled, but the laws of physics don't change just because someone wants acheap tyre.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:16 AM

No one has the 'perfect' tire for every persons desire or every vehicle...... And sometimes intense marketing can put buyers off!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal View Post
Hi

Can i suggest that you stick with the good stuff https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...eo/spider.html Pirelli Cinturato or Michelin XAS.

it seems odd to me that you have the perfect tyres available for your cars, made by the worlds best tyre manufacturers. The tyres that Alfa themselves chose to fit to their cars. This is not for fashoin reasons this is for the handling. The fact they look right is incidental.

A little Spider is a relatively light weight rear wheel drive car, with long traveling suspention that rolls in the corners. As a result it handles best with a relatively thin tyre with rounded shoulders.

If you are going to stiffen the suspention, add advers camber etc then yep you can derive more grip in the corners out of a wider tyre, but on a car that is set upto give a nice ride and hanndling on the road then they will not handle as well in the corners on a modern carcass and the handling will get worse with a wider lower profile tyre.

It constantly amazes me that people are prepared to spoil the handling of their car to save a few quid on tyres. In the grand scale of things they are cheap compared to the other things you do to your cars.

yes you will find a lot of people that have spoiled their handling with fatter modern tyres and they will strongly coment on here that the handling is not spoiled, but the laws of physics don't change just because someone wants acheap tyre.
His size is 195/60 R15. This size is for 90s cars and still available to buy from any retailer. The biggest problem nowadays it is considered as the size for budget cars. Some interesting models are available in Europe and Japan, but in North America the only available good model is Good Year Eagle Sport All Season, which is made in Turkey. In Europe this model is sold as summer tire.
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Anyone familiar with Nokian tires from Finland?

I know that they are more know for their winter tires, but are now selling all-season tires in the US.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101/105guy View Post
No one has the 'perfect' tire for every persons desire or every vehicle......
I am nopt saying i do. In fact quite the opposite. However whatt i am saying is that i do have the perfect tyres for a Spider and it is either Pirelli Cinturato or Michelin XAS.

It maybe that some people might want a 195/60R15, but it will not handle as well or have as nice ride as a 165R14 or a 185/70R14.
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
Anyone familiar with Nokian tires from Finland?

I know that they are more know for their winter tires, but are now selling all-season tires in the US.

Thanks
Don't buy them. They are good with a winter tires but just average for the summer. Most of their tires are made in Russia, the quality is not good. The same as their Nordman brand, just a budget line from Nokia.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal View Post
I am nopt saying i do. In fact quite the opposite. However whatt i am saying is that i do have the perfect tyres for a Spider and it is either Pirelli Cinturato or Michelin XAS.

It maybe that some people might want a 195/60R15, but it will not handle as well or have as nice a ride as a 165R14 or a 185/70R14.
Again, dougal, as the man stated previously, this is NOT for a vintage Alfa 105 series Duetto. This is for a 1992 series 4 Spider equipped from the factory with 15" x 6" wide aluminum wheels, and a factory fitment of 195/60R15 tire. I know that, because I bought one new myself.

I love vintage cars also. The Duetto is delightful to drive, the light steering and .76g tossable cornering, but let's keep progress in perspective! And the fact is, the selection here in the USA for this 195/60R15 tire size is extremely limited. That's what the original poster is having to deal with, and I don't think he wants to pay through the nose for replica XAS or Cinturatos, either.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode