Should I replace my tires? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
lgbalfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Should I replace my tires?

The tires currently on my car are in excellent shape.

The front tires have been on for about 12-14 years and the rear tires have been on for about 10 years.

All tires have approximately 15k miles on them which is not a lot.

I am more concerned about the time frame.

Should I replace them even though they look to be in excellent condition based on the fact they are 10+ years old?

Thanks
alfaloco likes this.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
lgbalfa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 268
Yep, I'd replace 'em. Right away. There is persuasive evidence that old tires can fail without any warning. For some time now tires have a code on the sidewall to specify production date. I think the consensus is 6 or 7 years max. safe life. You can find info online to help de-code the date.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Jack Straw is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Posts: 248
Garage
This is definitely an argument to use tires that are stickier and wear out faster. I really feel tires should wear out in about 4 years. 10 years by date code is the general rule of thumb I keep hearing, keep in mind, tires might already be two years old by the time they get installed.

Cheers,
factotum likes this.

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
vintagemilano is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
The tires currently on my car are in excellent shape.

The front tires have been on for about 12-14 years and the rear tires have been on for about 10 years.

All tires have approximately 15k miles on them which is not a lot.

I am more concerned about the time frame.

Should I replace them even though they look to be in excellent condition based on the fact they are 10+ years old?

Thanks
I think you are getting there. If you are piddling around the neighborhood and rarely get up to 50 MPH I'd say a couple more years max.. I'd think twice about Interstate trips north of 65 MPH. Dry rot is usually easy to diagnose.. Cracking of the sidewalls or separation at the thread and sidewall are definite red flags. It happened on my Mercedes (7 years) which is parked outside 24/7 in the sun. Sun/UV degradation can kill tires at an accelerated rate. I've got some Pirelli P4's on my Super that are ......OMG ....16 years old!!!!! Thanks for the reminder!! Time flies when you are having fun!! . They probably have 8-9000 miles on them. For sure I'll replace them next spring.. I'm 74 years old and I'm going to need at least one more set on the car to drive to be 85 years old .. Then I'll spring ONE MORE TIME God willing after that.. So for sure, if I expect to see 85 with me behind the wheel it's a no brainer.. I gotta get new tires. Whether you drive 10 more years or 30 more years .. the math is 2 sets or 3 sets if you keep this car. All pocket change when you think about the difference between two and three. Just do it.
divotandtralee is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Registered User
 
pinshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 477
Garage
I just bought some phone dials for my spider that have 11 years old tires and look fine. Wow they chirp on acceleration, slide/skid on braking, and push in corners. Granted they have been in storage for awhile, but compared with new rubber, not even remotely close or imo safe. Local guy spend years restoring his GTV, took it out on the road on original tires, blew his tire and took out his fender. Fresh rubber is cheap these days and worth every penny.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
pinshaw is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinshaw View Post
I just bought some phone dials for my spider that have 11 years old tires and look fine. Wow they chirp on acceleration, slide/skid on braking, and push in corners. Granted they have been in storage for awhile, but compared with new rubber, not even remotely close or imo safe. Local guy spend years restoring his GTV, took it out on the road on original tires, blew his tire and took out his fender. Fresh rubber is cheap these days and worth every penny.
I agree.. however us seniors are going from here to the hardware store.. It's safe but not the prudent thing to do if you want to hit the highway.. great for trolling for 80 year-olds though... some are actually 30 years younger than me.
divotandtralee is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 1,569
If you get a flat on those old tires, no tire shop will fix them because of the age. Even though the tread might look good, there can be unforeseen issues. I picked up my 71 in January and the tires were from 1986. Tread was good but they were old. The guy at Discount saved the valve stems to show me that they BROKE OFF when they went to check them. Just bite the bullet and get new tires.
factotum likes this.
6alfas is online now  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
lgbalfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
I will definitely be getting new tires.

Just a matter of which ones.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
lgbalfa is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 669
From Michelin Owners manual

Quote:
While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10
years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the
date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a
precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not
reached the legal wear limit. For tires that were on an original equipment
vehicle (i.e., acquired by the consumer on a new vehicle), follow the vehicle
manufacturer’s tire replacement recommendations, when specified (but
not to exceed 10 years). The date when a tire was manufactured is located
on the sidewall of each tire.
Max Pershyn is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:07 AM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
I will definitely be getting new tires.

Just a matter of which ones.

Thanks
I replaced the stones on my recently acquired '73 Spider with 185/70 Pirelli CN36's --$700 shipped across country from CA + +100 to mount .. went to stock suspension and shocks and the car was transformed from a cart to pleasure ride. If i sell the car in 5 years, the attention to detail like the tire brand will pay dividends in the end. Whenever I see cheapo off-brand tires on a restoration or a car for sale, I ask myself where else is this guy cutting corners.
kalmcleod and Top Down like this.
divotandtralee is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Registered User
 
pantera928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Oxford, Ga
Posts: 198
Garage
If you have ever had an older one blow out on you at highway speeds, you will never ask if they need to be replaced at that age. They are dangerous and it happens very quickly and can cause damage to you and your car. This is the voice of someone who waited too long once.
pantera928 is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 AM
Registered User
 
divotandtralee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MAssachusetts
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I think you are getting there. If you are piddling around the neighborhood and rarely get up to 50 MPH I'd say a couple more years max.. I'd think twice about Interstate trips north of 65 MPH. Dry rot is usually easy to diagnose.. Cracking of the sidewalls or separation at the thread and sidewall are definite red flags. It happened on my Mercedes (7 years) which is parked outside 24/7 in the sun. Sun/UV degradation can kill tires at an accelerated rate. I've got some Pirelli P4's on my Super that are ......OMG ....16 years old!!!!! Thanks for the reminder!! Time flies when you are having fun!! . They probably have 8-9000 miles on them. For sure I'll replace them next spring.. I'm 74 years old and I'm going to need at least one more set on the car to drive to be 85 years old .. Then I'll spring ONE MORE TIME God willing after that.. So for sure, if I expect to see 85 with me behind the wheel it's a no brainer.. I gotta get new tires. Whether you drive 10 more years or 30 more years .. the math is 2 sets or 3 sets if you keep this car. All pocket change when you think about the difference between two and three. Just do it.
After shopping around I'm going to go with the stock 165/80 x 14 Vriedsteins $123/ and FREE Shipping from Tire Rack. I can get them tomorrow out of Windsor (Hartford CT) so I guess i'll just do it rather than wait until Spring. Thanks for the reminder.. FWIW, 195's are just a bit too streeful on a Burman steering box ...so that is something else to consider if you have that set-up. I know guys who have dodged that bullet but I'm not going there. I've been running 185/70's and they have worked for 16 years.. Yikes!
divotandtralee is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:04 AM
Registered User
 
Bjorn S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Houston , Tx
Posts: 911
don't drive on tires over 10 yrs old...

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
Bjorn S is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Hodgepodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 299
Garage
My Italian delivery '69 (with 65k miles) had a spare that was the original OEM tire from Italy. As cool as that was, I went ahead and replaced it when I replaced the 15 year old tires on the car. Moderm Michelins are very comfortable compared to the tires from 15 years ago.

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto, '69 Spider
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 11 BMWs, Ram 1500
Other-past: 16 BMWs, MGs, Triumphs, other stuff that doesn't count.
Hodgepodge is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas, some Kansas, and later more Alabama.
Posts: 95
Just replaced my 13 year old Hankooks with Yokohama Advan Fleves 205/55-15s on my Quad. Amazing difference. Very nice ride, handling, and the new tires stick like glue to the road. Old tires with a lot of tread left are just too dangerous.
factotum is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome