Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1974 Spider resto mod build

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Veep 
#1 ·
Hello Forum!
Previously (about 15 years ago) I had a 1967 Duetto for that I cherished for 17 years, took it apart and put it together a few times. Recently got an opportunity to pick up a local (Seattle area) 1974 Spider. The engine was replaced with one from a 1973 and sport cams, a new electronic distributor and 45DCOE Weber's were added by the previous owner. The body is straight and pretty much rust free (or fixed) and has been repainted Alfa Green, previously Red. I don't feel that I have to remain stock as it is a bit of a Frankenstein already. It also has yellow springs and the chassis brace. It also has a new Hartz top.
My plan is to repaint a current Alfa color, Grigio Basalto Metallic (dark grey metallic), Rota 16x7 with high stick tires, Koni Yellow's, painted calipers (probably Yellow), cross drilled rotors and other bolt on upgrades. It also came with a roll bar but on the fence about powder coating and installing.
I have most of this figured out and will post pictures as I progress and am welcome to advise and ideas from this devoted group, please join me on this journey!

Pressing now is a decision on seats. I am wondering what would look period correct and "fit" in the car properly, low back with headrest for sure. Any Ideas out there? Cobra? OMP? Seat tracks that keep them low (I am 6'2")

I have already purchased and installed (test fit) 3" vintage "flip over" seatbelts like I got with my Superformance Cobra.

Thanks for reading!

BP in Seattle

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Join in? Gladly

Very nice & presentable car. The seats I couldn't say for I have the original in mine.
Is this your car, of course it is? Do as you choose, I would. The green color is, as mentioned rare to see on the road. Mine was the "test" yellow, changed to red and now black. I'll keep it black for now, it suites my taste.
I'm kinda partial to the silver, metallic, dark hues. From the back ground in your picture so far, I think you'll make a wise choice of color. You've asked us to join in on your journey, Gladly! Providing you continue with the pictures. As you must know, we like pictures!!
You have a great start with what has thus far been displayed. Thanks for the start.

#4 ·
Anyone ever upgraded to a sportier seat that fits, i.e. rails, front back sliders etc.?
Also....my bumpers are dinged up on the '74, I have noticed a backdate kit at Centerline for post 1974 cars, seems like a good way to get brand new F & R bumpers, new front mounts and a grill. My question is, is the retro fit setup a direct bolt on a 1974 (that already had chrome bumpers? I ask because my mounting brackets in the front are in poor shape.
Thanks again for the feedback and advice!
Also....I just saw this car on BaT, looks pretty close to what I want mine to look like!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Also....my bumpers are dinged up on the '74, I have noticed a backdate kit at Centerline for post 1974 cars, seems like a good way to get brand new F & R bumpers, new front mounts and a grill. My question is, is the retro fit setup a direct bolt on a 1974 (that already had chrome bumpers?
I'd suggest that you pose that question directly to Centerline.

For the price of replacement bumpers, you might also investigate whether it would be cheaper to have a bodywork technician tap the dings out of your existing bumpers and then have them polished. Of course, that doesn't address your damaged bumper brackets.

I don't have a seat recommendation, but let me warn you: replacing seats in a 70's era spider is a tough problem. Most modern seats are going to be too wide and sit too high to fit properly. Like my suggestion for the bumpers, you might be better off rebuilding the seats you have rather than making modifications.

#7 · (Edited)
do you have a suggestion of the most knowledgeable person to this regard at Centerline?
Start with Centerline's owner Joe Cabibbo who posts here on the BB under the user name JoeCab.

Looks like you are very active
Yea, but that doesn't mean I know anything!

Still, I've learned over the years that it often takes more time & money - and produces a poorer result - when I try to modify something rather than just bring the original parts back to as-new condition.

#8 ·
Resto mod update

Hello Forum!
Been chipping away at my project, new pictures below!
Interior stripped out, brakes/shocks/suspension in progress, trunk just detailed out!
Sorry about oversized photos, tried to reduce.
…..Starting to like Green
Cheers for now

Attachments

#11 ·
I'm surprised you would want to replace the stock seats. IMHO I find them to be the most comfortable seats out of any car I have sat in.

Reactions: alfaromeoblack
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.