• 1 Post By MVSpider
  • 1 Post By MVSpider
  • 1 Post By stevespiderguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1974 Spider resto mod build

Hello Forum!
Previously (about 15 years ago) I had a 1967 Duetto for that I cherished for 17 years, took it apart and put it together a few times. Recently got an opportunity to pick up a local (Seattle area) 1974 Spider. The engine was replaced with one from a 1973 and sport cams, a new electronic distributor and 45DCOE Weber's were added by the previous owner. The body is straight and pretty much rust free (or fixed) and has been repainted Alfa Green, previously Red. I don't feel that I have to remain stock as it is a bit of a Frankenstein already. It also has yellow springs and the chassis brace. It also has a new Hartz top.
My plan is to repaint a current Alfa color, Grigio Basalto Metallic (dark grey metallic), Rota 16x7 with high stick tires, Koni Yellow's, painted calipers (probably Yellow), cross drilled rotors and other bolt on upgrades. It also came with a roll bar but on the fence about powder coating and installing.
I have most of this figured out and will post pictures as I progress and am welcome to advise and ideas from this devoted group, please join me on this journey!

Pressing now is a decision on seats. I am wondering what would look period correct and "fit" in the car properly, low back with headrest for sure. Any Ideas out there? Cobra? OMP? Seat tracks that keep them low (I am 6'2")

I have already purchased and installed (test fit) 3" vintage "flip over" seatbelts like I got with my Superformance Cobra.

Thanks for reading!

BP in Seattle
Attached Images

goats likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Nice car ! Give some thought to the colour change...green Spiders are not all that common. It's kinda nice having something unique at Alfa meets.
Greetings from your UK doppleganger...
Attached Images

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Red face Join in? Gladly

Very nice & presentable car. The seats I couldn't say for I have the original in mine.
Is this your car, of course it is? Do as you choose, I would. The green color is, as mentioned rare to see on the road. Mine was the "test" yellow, changed to red and now black. I'll keep it black for now, it suites my taste.
I'm kinda partial to the silver, metallic, dark hues. From the back ground in your picture so far, I think you'll make a wise choice of color. You've asked us to join in on your journey, Gladly! Providing you continue with the pictures. As you must know, we like pictures!!
You have a great start with what has thus far been displayed. Thanks for the start.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Cool

Anyone ever upgraded to a sportier seat that fits, i.e. rails, front back sliders etc.?
Also....my bumpers are dinged up on the '74, I have noticed a backdate kit at Centerline for post 1974 cars, seems like a good way to get brand new F & R bumpers, new front mounts and a grill. My question is, is the retro fit setup a direct bolt on a 1974 (that already had chrome bumpers? I ask because my mounting brackets in the front are in poor shape.
Thanks again for the feedback and advice!
Also....I just saw this car on BaT, looks pretty close to what I want mine to look like!
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSpider View Post
Also....my bumpers are dinged up on the '74, I have noticed a backdate kit at Centerline for post 1974 cars, seems like a good way to get brand new F & R bumpers, new front mounts and a grill. My question is, is the retro fit setup a direct bolt on a 1974 (that already had chrome bumpers?
I'd suggest that you pose that question directly to Centerline.

For the price of replacement bumpers, you might also investigate whether it would be cheaper to have a bodywork technician tap the dings out of your existing bumpers and then have them polished. Of course, that doesn't address your damaged bumper brackets.

I don't have a seat recommendation, but let me warn you: replacing seats in a 70's era spider is a tough problem. Most modern seats are going to be too wide and sit too high to fit properly. Like my suggestion for the bumpers, you might be better off rebuilding the seats you have rather than making modifications.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-03-2019 at 06:57 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thank you!
I will follow up on Monday. Looks like you are very active, do you have a suggestion of the most knowledgeable person to this regard at Centerline?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:01 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
do you have a suggestion of the most knowledgeable person to this regard at Centerline?
Start with Centerline's owner Joe Cabibbo who posts here on the BB under the user name JoeCab.

Quote:
Looks like you are very active
Yea, but that doesn't mean I know anything!

Still, I've learned over the years that it often takes more time & money - and produces a poorer result - when I try to modify something rather than just bring the original parts back to as-new condition.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-03-2019 at 08:33 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Red face Resto mod update

Hello Forum!
Been chipping away at my project, new pictures below!
Interior stripped out, brakes/shocks/suspension in progress, trunk just detailed out!
Sorry about oversized photos, tried to reduce.
..Starting to like Green
Cheers for now
Attached Images

alfaromeoblack likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hello Forum!

Been chipping away at my project, new pictures below!

Interior stripped out, brakes/shocks/suspension in progress, trunk just detailed out!

Sorry about oversized photos, tried to reduce.

..Starting to like Green

Cheers for now

Green is a great color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I agree with Jay. Another issue I found when installing Corbeau seats in my '76 Autocross Spider is that 105 Spider seats are not symmetrical in the cockpit. The driver seat is aligned with the steering wheel but the passenger seat is displaced closer to the door. The wide shoulder bolster on the driver seat cleared the outside of the cockpit surround but the passenger seat bolster rubbed on the surround. I later modified the seat tracks to install aluminum race seats, but that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
...I don't have a seat recommendation, but let me warn you: replacing seats in a 70's era spider is a tough problem. Most modern seats are going to be too wide and sit too high to fit properly. Like my suggestion for the bumpers, you might be better off rebuilding the seats you have rather than making modifications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:01 PM

I'm surprised you would want to replace the stock seats. IMHO I find them to be the most comfortable seats out of any car I have sat in.
alfaromeoblack likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:53 PM

if you want other seats take a look at BF Torino seats. I think a few of those will fit in spider. http://shop.bf-torino.com/bf-autosit...undstooth.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode