cam and tappet wear/damage - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By spiderserie4
  • 1 Post By slowcreek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

cam and tappet wear/damage

Hi all, I went to help a fellow Alfisti/friend check his 87's valves.
He's had the car years and its always driven fine and sounded fine, although he doesn't drive it much.
So why bother? Why not!

The measurable clearances were all tight - between 0.008" and about 0.015". Clearly we were unable to measure 2, and upon its discovery pulled the camshaft before checking 1.

To our unfortunate surprise we find this! 3 of 4 exhaust tappets have wear. 2 is destroyed and the camshaft lobe has mating wear.
Additionally the spring tension feels to only be half of the others. 1 is a little lighter tension too, but not as bad as 2.
1 and 2 spring caps are sooty.
Valve 2 can fairly easily be wobbled around. 1 is a little wobbly.

A head rebuild and new exhaust cam is in order. But the question is what likely caused this, other than the obvious not occasionally checking the clearances?
Its clear the guide is worn, the spring fatigued and the tappet/cam wore. But what was the root cause that started the ball rolling? Failed spring? Failed guide? Clearance issue?

Edit - no wear on the intake tappets.

Thanks
Attached Images

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio

Last edited by mcola; 07-29-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wow, I don't ever recall seeing that. And of course if I had seen it i'd remember. I'm replying to create interest in this question, sorry no answer to the query.
Hope some one with proper knowledge chimes in.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:41 AM

I too never saw tappet wear like that. And I've rebuilt dozens and dozens of Nord heads! The exhaust side (obviously) runs hotter than the intake side. This looks to me like a lubrication issue. Not maintaining proper valve lash may have been an issue as well. Has the engine been getting quality 20W-50 engine oil, changed regularly? I've seen folks going to Jiffy Lube style oil change stores where everything gets 5W-30 piss oil. With that valve train wear, how could the engine have "sounded fine"? 1-2-and 3 tappets are destroyed. Might be time for a complete engine rebuild.

ALFA ANDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 AM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
I to have a lot of valve adjustments and valve jobs under my proverbial belt. Never have I seen cam followers that bad ever. That is just poor maintenance both in terms of oil and valve adjustments. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" syndrome.

If one of the cam followers rocks in the hole, the head may be beyond limits unless you can find a source for oversize.

Pull the head and send it out to a reputable rebuilder and see if the head can be saved.

Obviously get a replacement set of cams, springs, and followers.

Part of what we are seeing here is what has happened since the oils have been reformulated and some metals taken out of the oil (ZDDP to be specific). The metals in oil helps prevent cam/cam follower wear, but it is supposedly a contributor to pollution. Using synthetic helps as the long molecule chains don't break down so easily, preventing wear patterns. The other option is to add cam lube that has a high ZDDP additive but some say that it is not good for the catalytic.

Keep us in the loop as to the outcome of this.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com

Last edited by velocedoc; 07-30-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
If one of the cam followers rocks in the hole, the head may be beyond limits unless you can find a source for oversize.

Part of what we are seeing here is what has happened since the oils have been reformulated and some metals taken out of the oil (ZDDP to be specific). The metals in oil helps prevent cam/cam follower wear, but it is supposedly a contributor to pollution. Using synthetic helps as the long molecule chains don't break down so easily, preventing wear patterns. The other option is to add cam lube that has a high ZDDP additive but some say that it is not good for the catalytic.

Fortunately its not the follower that rocks, just the valve and the guide(s) have been verified as worn.
Regarding oil, he has been using Rotella 15w40 with supposed higher levels of zinc.
What oil and condition the engine was in up to the time of purchase???

But definitely should have periodically checked thing out - cheap insurance.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Fortunately its not the follower that rocks, just the valve and the guide(s) have been verified as worn.
Regarding oil, he has been using Rotella 15w40 with supposed higher levels of zinc.
What oil and condition the engine was in up to the time of purchase???
There is a long and hallowed zddp versus no zddp discussion here on the bb that I won't get into . . . Nonetheless, Rotella apparently has reformulated its mix and is no longer a good choice for high zddp oil (and please note I did say "apparently"). I've never used Rotella and instead use Valvolene VR1 20-50 which does have high zddp. There are other good high zddp choices available. If you are using a modern low-zddp oil, you can also add a can of Rislone zddp additive which is not only cheap but commonly available.

Good luck on your rebuild. Be sure to use first quality cam followers (there is a difference nowadays) and high zddp content oil and you'll be good to go.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:32 AM

when I saw this old thread some years back, I thought heck, those cam follows look shot
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/984866-post4.html

But these in post 1, especially cyl#2 are just plain scary...that engine must have sounded like Bojangles!
Vintre likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 07-30-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
when I saw this old thread some years back, I thought heck, those cam follows look shot
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/984866-post4.html

But these in post 1 are just plain scary...surely that engine must have sounded like a bag of bolts?

Interesting post!
Surprisingly it sounded nothing like you'd expect after seeing what we uncovered.
But then again, what Alfa engine sounds quite like a Honda or Toyota?

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM

appears to be bottoming out on the perimeter of the follower. When the cam turns thru, the perimeter is held up, and the center is deformed. What would hold up the perimeter (ie tappet pocket too shallow/ tappet too long). As earlier stated, the head has to come off (obviously) and some metrology done. I cant imagine what that must have sounded like.....

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
It reminds me of a soft Chevy V8 cam. Like it wasn't hardened properly.
goats likes this.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I really wish we thought to video the engine running before we went in.
Like I keep saying, there wasn't an alarming sound, as crazy as that sounds!
I too thought the tappet deformed, but my friend is insistent its actually wore down based on his measurements which I didn't verify.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode