• 1 Post By ghnl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to levp
Door window issue

Hi guys,

Spider 1984, with electric windows.
Half way up or down the window meets some sort of resistance and slows its movement. Sometimes simply stalls.
Tried to play with forward window track - didn't help.

Some observations:
1. The top forward pulley has substantial play on its axle in/out - about 1 mm. The bolt that holds it is tight.
2. Cable tension exists only in way that is correspondent to motion of the glass: i.e if the glass goes down, then there is no tension between top front pulley and the pulley at the door bottom. Once the glass goes up, then there is tension between those pulleys, but no tension between bottom forward pulley and the next pulley on top (middle pulley).
3. Probably pushing the forward window track and the vent window frame to the outside would help, but it seems like the angle at the bottom of the track doesn't have enough movement. And I don't see any other place for adjustment.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by levp View Post
Hi guys,

Spider 1984, with electric windows.

Half way up or down the window meets some sort of resistance and slows its movement. Sometimes simply stalls.

Tried to play with forward window track - didn't help.

Some observations:

1. The top forward pulley has substantial play on its axle in/out - about 1 mm. The bolt that holds it is tight.

2. Cable tension exists only in way that is correspondent to motion of the glass: i.e if the glass goes down, then there is no tension between top front pulley and the pulley at the door bottom. Once the glass goes up, then there is tension between those pulleys, but no tension between bottom forward pulley and the next pulley on top (middle pulley).

3. Probably pushing the forward window track and the vent window frame to the outside would help, but it seems like the angle at the bottom of the track doesn't have enough movement. And I don't see any other place for adjustment.

Any ideas how to fix this?

It might be the wiring going through the door. Over time the wires weaken and not allow all the power to pass. Test with volt meter before missing with cable pulleys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The power is fine. It's an alignment issue most likely, since while the window slows done significantly about 1/2 way either side, once past an inch or so the speed resumes to regular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levp View Post
The power is fine. It's an alignment issue most likely, since while the window slows done significantly about 1/2 way either side, once past an inch or so the speed resumes to regular.

Let me know if this diagram helps!
ghnl likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:08 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
My guess (just a guess) is that the window might not be centered in the run of the cable. Meaning, the distance the cable can move is longer than the distance the window has to move. if the window is attached too close to one end or the other of the cable there can be some binding.

Try loosening the window to cable attaching bolts and see if you adjust the position of the window to be closer to the middle of the run.

There is a good sketch of the cable pulleys and attachment points in this thread: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ht-window.html
alfaromeoblack likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
My guess (just a guess) is that the window might not be centered in the run of the cable. Meaning, the distance the cable can move is longer than the distance the window has to move. if the window is attached too close to one end or the other of the cable there can be some binding.

Try loosening the window to cable attaching bolts and see if you adjust the position of the window to be closer to the middle of the run.

There is a good sketch of the cable pulleys and attachment points in this thread: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ht-window.html

Thank you for sharing, I have been saving all of your pictures and specs. It is becoming harder and hard to fine information about our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
Hopefully that will work. I've managed to loose only the forward attaching bolt yesterday and removed some slack of the cable there, but it wasn't enough. The second attaching bolt was turning with it's nut and it was getting really hot outside, so I left it till later. Will try to play with it again today.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: I've loosened both nuts holding the cable to the glass. Played a little with glass and now it goes down really well, with good steady speed. All cables are neither loose nor too tight at any stage (window going up or down). However, the lifting movement is extremely slow. There is nothing that obscures window guides and with some push or pull it is possible to have window going up faster. But it's a power window, so it is supposed to go up without any help.
So, any idea where else to play? I think I've tried loosening all possible screws on the door...
What I did not try, however, is to try and play with window guides now, that the window goes down quickly. On the other hand, I'm not sure it would do any good.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:00 AM

observe the felt in the tracks/guides whilst operating the windows....sometimes it works itself loose and starts moving up and down together with the window.

this then bunches up either at the top or the bottom and your window slows or even stops.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
observe the felt in the tracks/guides whilst operating the windows....sometimes it works itself loose and starts moving up and down together with the window.

this then bunches up either at the top or the bottom and your window slows or even stops.
Checked that already. The felt is so old that it's packed flat on the track rubber. Haven't noticed any disturbance though.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update.
I've fiddled more both with window guides and window position on the cable and called it done.
In comparison to the other door this window slides now at even speed both up and down.
Driver's window, the one that I haven't touched yet, slides down very slow, but goes up much faster.

Well, one day I might open the driver's door and try to correct window position in there as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode