Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   Clutch probem 69 spider (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/683432-clutch-probem-69-spider.html)

alfaman 07-20-2019 08:34 PM

Clutch probem 69 spider

Guys, have not had a chance to get under the car yet, but would like to pick your brains......
Clutch pedal went to the floor with no resistance on my last drive...managed to get it home, as a bit of pressure came back up to the pedal..think about 10% back....fluid in reservoir is full....

Last year I put a new clutch slave on....hose is stainless steel braided...have a speed bleeder on the slave....any suggestions where to start...(especially if i get under the car and see no leaks)...thanks!

AlfistiSA 07-21-2019 12:17 AM

Your symptoms sound like the slave or the master cylinder, given that you replace the slave, it's probably in the clutch MC. The bore of the cylinder is most likely rusted and the edge of the rubber washer has been hurt & the fluid is cycling past the washer. Pumping will temporarily build up pressure as you pump more fluid than can leak past, but as you hold the pedal the fluid continues to leak past til you have no more clutch pressure.

Time to take the cylinders off, both clutch master & slave & examine both - I refurbish all my cylinders in stainless steel & use silicone fluid - some curse it, I swear by it, but it does depend on your personal preference.

If there is rust in the MC, you need to overhaul both the MC & the slave, if only to flush any contaminated fluid out the slave. It's an easy job, just mucky - remember that ordinary brake fluid strips paint very effectively, so take extreme care here !!

Secondly any dirt / contamination will damage the edges of the washers, so cleaning everything is critical, especially the cylinder that comes back from being sleeved in stainless - don't imagine that the engineering or hydraulic shop is going to clean it out 100%

Your ONLY washing & flushing fluids that will not damage hydraulic washers are Methylated Spirit or Meths, that purple stuff you had in the Bunson burners at science class or White Spirit. I use 3 plastic ice cream tubs next to each other, 1st; 2nd & 3rd wash with Meths... Wash in tub 1, rinse in tub 2 & rinse again in tub 3. You would be amazed at what lurks in corners in the cylinders. An old toothbrush will loosen the crud nicely.

Re-assemble the cylinders & bleed carefully - you should be good to go.

Warning: Years ago Mercedes Benz out here had a contamination issue in their assembly line and ended up throwing away 400+ ABS units as it was cheaper than cleaning them out -their Lab determined that 0.02% of mineral oil contamination in brake fluid was enough to damage the rubbers in the system, so clean hands & parts using only Meths. Be careful of touching any greasy suspension stuff while you are under the car, if in doubt, wash hands again.

Ciao
Greig

alfaman 07-21-2019 06:28 AM

thank you. for taking the time for such a complete response....papajam rebuilt my master brake with stainless insert (or at least he had one he sold to me on the shelf)...does anyone know of a good place to either rebuild or replace a clutch master with sleeved stainless....pumping does not seem to have an effect...pedal seems to stay around 10 per cent now after initially going to floor,,,,maybe osso knows best place to purchase ss sleeved master....have a feeling a 69 clutch master is going to be has hard to find as a 69 brake master.....thanks again!

IRONBLOCK 07-21-2019 07:13 AM

If he is still available and convenient I'd ask papajam to do this job too.

I have used White Post Restorations to sleeve and rebuild cylinders in the past; with great results. They use a brass sleeve as opposed to stainless steel but you'd be hard pressed to feel the difference. The part is returned completely rebuilt and refinished, inside and out, ready to install. They offer a lifetime warranty on all their rebuilt brake parts too (not for DOT 5, Silicone use though).

https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving...ding-services/

Mark

alfaman 07-21-2019 08:03 AM

thanks mark...unfortunately papajam passed away..a great loss to us all....thanks for the information

Alfajay 07-21-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaman (Post 8441894)
does anyone know of a good place to either rebuild or replace a clutch master with sleeved stainless...

ABS Power Brake at 233 N Lemon St, in Orange can rebuild anything hydraulic. They charged me about $45 to re-build an un-sleeved '69 clutch MC a year or so ago.

Quote:

have a feeling a 69 clutch master is going to be has hard to find as a 69 brake master..
No, they are readily available. Classic Alfa carries new replacements for around $118. See: https://classicalfa.com/cl001-clutch...g-pedals-cars/

alfaman 07-21-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfajay (Post 8441934)
ABS Power Brake at 233 N Lemon St, in Orange can rebuild anything hydraulic. They charged me about $45 to re-build an un-sleeved '69 clutch MC a year or so ago.

No, they are readily available. Classic Alfa carries new replacements for around $118. See: https://classicalfa.com/cl001-clutch...g-pedals-cars/

thanks jay...would you suggest having it rebuilt or getting an new one from classicalfa......guess the answer is obvious since you had it rebuilt...happy to see the master is not different from other year alfas...the brake master is, and was kinda a hassle to fix, but papajam came through for me on that unit

Alfajay 07-21-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

.would you suggest having it rebuilt or getting an new one from classicalfa
I opted to rebuild my old cylinder just because I'm a cheapskate and I figured it would get done more quickly (ABS Power Brake had it about a week). But at $118 (plus shipping), the price of a new cylinder was tempting.

Quote:

happy to see the master is not different from other year alfas
Not quite sure what you meant here. The '69 clutch master is unique to that year, so it is different from the clutch master on other year Alfas. But yes, unlike the '69 brake MC, it is cheap and simple.

alfaman 07-21-2019 10:27 AM

thanks jay..i read it wrong...see now it is unique to the 69...just like the brake master