Garage
Getting the steering wheel off

91 S4 steering wheel.

I've tried:
  • puller (two different ones) and hitting it
  • heat
  • penetrating oil
Any other ideas? It won't budge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:48 AM

First, I would not use such long screws....try and keep the whole thing as short as possible, that way you are pulling 'dead straight' and have more control and much less stretch in the whole set up....plus it won't go wonky when you turn down on the big puller bolt.

Then I think the trick is to leave as much tension on the puller as you dare, then 'tap' the thing!
leave the tension on overnite if needs be (soaked in PB blaster or similar).

You have left the big steering shaft nut on flush with the end of the shaft, that's very wise!

be careful of going at it with a BFH, there is a real expensive power steering box on the end !

this guy managed with a puller and slide hammer:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/352067-post10.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 07-19-2019 at 01:04 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

I swapped out steering wheels on my S4 a few months ago and it was the tightest spline fit I've ever come across on a dozen or so cars. Like Dom mentions in the above post use the shortest 6mm bolts you can get away with and make sure the puller is straight and centered. I avoided a BFH (for once) and tightened the central puller bolt with an impact wrench very carefully.

Penetrating oil is a must on the tight ones and you might consider this stuff called "Freeze Off" from CRC if PB or Kroil doesn't work.

When my wheel finally let go it sounded like a .22 pistol going off.

BTW, are you going to fit a new wheel? What's your choice?

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys.
I shortened the bolts and used more penetrating oil, then the other post about the impact got me thinking and I used my cordless impact to loosen then retighten the center bolt, and it popped off.

I'm now trying to figure out the wiring for the horn. Do I need to hack up the airbag wiring connector to get a ground?
The wheel has 12v at the metal "nub" which rides on the ring behind the wheel. I assume the horn button gets connected to a ground wire and when pressing the horn in, it completes the circuit. Problem is, I don't have a separate ground wire.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

danix,

Glad you got the wheel off.

What hub adaptor and wheel are you fitting? I installed a Momo pattern wheel on an accessory hub from Classic Alfa.

The horn wiring was simple, so simple I've forgotten the specifics but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Basically, the typical aftermarket Momo-Nardi horn button has two spade terminals. One of these connects a wire going down through the hub to the circular contact strip. The second wire is a ground which fits between the wheel and the hub and contacts one of the 6 wheel to hub fixing screws. I don't recall using any wiring from the airbag wheel contacts.

Anyway, it's pretty straightforward on the typical Momo-Nardi style hub but I don't know about others such as Grant.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nardi wheel and hub from Classic Alfa.
Two buttons came with it, the Nardi has 1 terminal, the aftermarket Italian black button has 2 terminals.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

I used the two contact horn button that came with the Classic Alfa Hub. Here's a link or two with photos that may help.

Renown USA ? Install

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-...n-install.html

Bill

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I figured it out. Wire on the hub carries hot, an additional ground is needed. The hub adapter had additional holes so I added a M4 nut and bolt and added a ground wire.
Only remaining problem is the Nardi "cap" doesn't fit over the black horn button. One of the two needs to be modified.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode