Original Ignition Coil - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Question Original Ignition Coil

Hi All,

I am slowly getting the engine bay of my 67 Duetto back to what I believe/understand to be 'as factory'. I think I am nearly there but I am not convinced with my current choice of ignition coil (Bosch 'Blue' coil) - see pic. below.

What is the general con-census as to what was the original fitment ignition coil - from the factory?

I am not after what is 'best' - I am after what was 'correct'.

What does everybody think?

Many Thanks in advance,

Gary
Factory RHD 1967 "Duetto"
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Wow, beautiful restoration.

I think you're right - not the Bosch blue, which probably didn't exist in 1967. My guess would be a Marelli branded coil, with an external, ceramic resistor. The early coil brackets had a flat surface (about 1" X 1") where the resistor mounted. Here's a photo I grabbed off ebay of the type of coil, resistor and bracket I'm describing:

Admittedly I'm not an authority on when Alfa transitioned from Marelli to Bosch coils, but I believe it happened after the Duetto era.

My only other comment would be to suggest that you zinc plate the housings of the voltage regulator and horn relay, since you have replated the other underhood hardware. When I judge a car, I look for consistency; evenly-dulled plating on all parts gives that "barn find" look, while fresh plating on everything reproduces the day-it-left-the-factory feeling. A mix of the two just doesn't look right. (And yes, I expect some hate mail for this remark from those who don't get concours).

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-18-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Thank you AlfaJay - very much appreciated, trying to find the evidence is the hard part - at least I would know what I was looking for (or trying to recreate).

I have been thinking about the 'zinc plating' for a while - you have prompted me to put it on my official 'list of jobs'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 AM

Garage
Beautiful. That's Osso-level work.

In light of Alfajay's suggestions, should the cam cover bolts be plated?

1967 1600 Spider
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Looks wonderful.

I doubt the head nuts were chromed either, but if it were mine, I sure wouldn't be removing them)
sometimes you can go too far.......forget Pebble Beach, Ville d'Este, Goodwood and the rest....get it to how you want it to look, and then drive it

that bosch blue coil does look a bit modern, I agree, so I'd just get a new vintage look black or silver coil and stick either a Marelli or Bosch coil sticker on it, depending what yours originally was.

is the dizzy original, or has it been replaced with electronic?...in which case I guess the bosch blue was necessary.

(I notice the B.S.AU seatbelt standard plate on the bulkhead, so its a UK car correct?)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Plumb View Post
Thank you AlfaJay - very much appreciated, trying to find the evidence is the hard part - at least I would know what I was looking for (or trying to recreate).
Gary: Confirm with Duetto experts, like ossodiseppia or Wille R. before taking my word for it.

If they confirm that the Marelli coil with the external resistor is correct, put a "wanted" ad in the classified section - many BB members probably have these.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-18-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

If you buy a coil and wire in the Marelli ballast resistor then the coil primary resistance should be about 1.5 ohms.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 AM

My March 67 RHD 1600 has Bosch 041 dizzy and Bosch black coil (with brown top). Coil is mounted pretty much exactly where and how yours is, with same bracket.

Just out of curiosity, given some other recent discussions about Duettos...Is there a booster mount hiding under that washer bag? Doesn’t look like it...
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
@ Gary PlumbI may have one I will check..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Just out of curiosity, given some other recent discussions about Duettos...Is there a booster mount hiding under that washer bag? Doesn’t look like it...
US-delivery 1600cc Duettos came without boosters. Don't know why.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Bosch coil, black with brown top with internal ballast resistor. Inscription reads "BOSCH germany". Then below "importe d'allemange".

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Vivace - I have been reconsidering the cam cover bolts for a while now - I have the originals, so may put back (undecided).

Last edited by Gary Plumb; 07-19-2019 at 01:14 AM.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you spiderserie4. Have have been reconsidering the head nuts as well - I have the originals, so may put back (again, undecided). Good spot on the BS AEU seatbelt plate. It is indeed an original UK car - delivered straight from the factory to London in June 1967.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Alfajay - I have been consulting with ossodiseppia for a good while now and he has become quite familiar with my car. Most of what you see in terms of decals come from osso

Last edited by Gary Plumb; 07-19-2019 at 01:33 AM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Hi Ranz, Your black coil with brown top set up has come up my other research so well may be the answer. Have you got a picture of it you could post? Failing that could you describe the decal that is on it - if you have one. In answer to your other question I do not have a booster bracket under the washer bag - I understand that they did not come with boosters - not until later.

Tags
coil, duetto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode