Original Ignition Coil - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Tom Frasca, Thanks for looking in your parts stash - is it the black with brown top Bosch one, which is emerging as the forums 'concensus' on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

180OUT, Have you a picture of the coil your describing ?
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Plumb View Post
I have been reconsidering the cam cover bolts for a while now - I have the originals, so may put back..... Have have been reconsidering the head nuts as well - I have the originals, so may put back (again, undecided).
I'm not getting what's wrong with Gary's cam cover and head nuts. Is it that the plating is too bright?

Given how fresh the rest of his underhood looks, I wouldn't say that the cover & head hardware stand out as incorrect. My instincts would be to leave them as they are.

Back to coils: I might run a slightly incorrect coil before I would run a 50 year old coil. A little Google research shows that Porsche suppliers carry Bosch coils with brown tops. One of these could be painted black and the appropriate decals ("BOSCH germany" & "importe d'allemange") applied (does Osso make those?).

Something like:

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-19-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM

I use the original coil in my 101 Sprint Veloce because it runs well and do not see any reason to upgrade a car that is only driven on special occasions. I know that 105 cars used Bosch electrics and not Marelli.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you Vivace - I have been reconsidering the cam cover bolts for a while now - I have the originals, so may put back (undecided).
Not criticizing at all, they look great. I've just always seen them dull, but maybe that's from age. I would leave them on.

1967 1600 Spider
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I'm not getting what's wrong with Gary's cam cover and head nuts. Is it that the plating is too bright?

Given how fresh the rest of his underhood looks, I wouldn't say that the cover & head hardware stand out as incorrect. My instincts would be to leave them as they are.

Back to coils: I might run a slightly incorrect coil before I would run a 50 year old coil. A little Google research shows that Porsche suppliers carry Bosch coils with brown tops. One of these could be painted black and the appropriate decals ("BOSCH germany" & "importe d'allemange") applied (does Osso make those?).

Something like:

The ones I have are a light blue. The correct ones for this vintage are more of a blue/green color..

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:04 PM

This was mine....faded and ratty enough to be original.
Bosch
Made in Germany
Part no is 0 221 119 008
Other numbers on bottom: 130 K12V
Sticker colour looks a faded green, more than blue.
Attached Images

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:31 PM

I have a Bosch coil that has a black body with a red top part number 0 221 500 002. I have an Alfa Parts Book and it said that you car could have used a Bosch or Marelli coil. The Marelli coil has a external ballast resistor similar to what was used on later Alfas, and the Bosch coil only has an Alfa Part number. I did not realize that Marelli coil and distributors were used on 105 series cars. I used to own a 1967 Spider and it had Bosch electrics.

Last edited by kuni123456; 07-19-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Good spot on the BS AEU seatbelt plate. It is indeed an original UK car - delivered straight from the factory to London in June 1967.
Here is the same plate BS AU.. as placed on my 1972 GTJ 1300 also London delivered, but on the left inner fender.
Steve
Attached Images

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:39 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
This was mine....faded and ratty enough to be original.
Bosch
Made in Germany
Part no is 0 221 119 008
Other numbers on bottom: 130 K12V
Sticker colour looks a faded green, more than blue.
Thank you for for posting those pictures. I think the new one is a close match and might work for most folks. A little black paint and a sticker, good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve105 View Post
Here is the same plate BS AU.. as placed on my 1972 GTJ 1300 also London delivered, but on the left inner fender.
Steve
That plate is for UK seat belt compliance. I've seen a few other marques with that same plate on them. Gary had one made for his car. I provided the graphics and the company he found did a fantastic job. The best part was they do one offs at an affordable price. Gary's picture below.
Attached Images

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:21 AM

The UK seat belt compliance plates look good.
I would be interested in two of them.
Regards Steve
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the pictures Ranz, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The common concensus then, seems to be that this coil (black with brown top and green/blue "Made in Germany" oval BOSCH decal is the one that's correct.

Thank you all for your input - now I know what I'm trying to replicate - I think it might be wise to go with a new coil with a brown top and make the rest of it look like the original in Ranz pictures.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I provided the graphics and the company he found did a fantastic job. The best part was they do one offs at an affordable price. Gary's picture below.
Hi Osso, Can you please send me the graphics as well I think you have my e-mail.
Regards Steve
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve105 View Post
Hi Osso, Can you please send me the graphics as well I think you have my e-mail.
Regards Steve
I sure can. I can even point you to the company that Gary had them made. I'll get you the info in a bit.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Back to coils: I might run a slightly incorrect coil before I would run a 50 year old coil.
You guys probably won't like mine....Installed by the PO in the mid-80s. Completely wrong and in the wrong place....but it has never not started!

Attachment 1578442
Attached Images

1967 1600 Spider

Tags
coil, duetto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode