Ignition Advice - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Ignition Advice

Hello, I have an 86 Spider. Have done much of the routine maintenance but now running a little rough. I am guessing its the ignition because its the only thing I did not replace. I assume we have points/condenser on these cars? How difficult is it to replace items on these cars? I have done points/condenser on other cars. I notice Vick sells an electronic distributor with new coil for $200. Any experience with this? how difficult is it to replace the entire distributor with the electronic one? I can find distributor cap, rotor, but not the points and condenser. I realize the electronic would probably last forever but $200 as opposed to $50 for traditional ignition parts is a big difference.

Last edited by alfalori86; 07-16-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Need a little more information. Does your car have the original Bosch L-Jetronic system? If so, before going and throwing money at possible solutions, you should work through the L-Jet diagnostics at the link below to figure out the problem--

https://www.hpsimotorsports.com/l-jetronic--spider-

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

It has the original Fuel Injection system. I replaced the Air intake duct when I got the car a year ago. The car was idling very rough and couldn't keep it going unless I gave it gas. What I found was that air intake duct must have rotted away and someone replaced it with something other than the correct duct. It was not a tight seal and there was leakage. Once I replaced the duct it ran fine and idled perfectly. I also replaced the fuel filter, plugs, air filter, oil & filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Assuming your car is still running the original Bosch fuel injection and ignition system your car already has electronic ignition, handled by it's own separate computer. The coil and distributor are simple affairs that are completely under the control of the computer. There are no points involved. The only replaceable parts on the dizzy are the cap and rotor. This is the coil you want:

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/i...spider-1982-94

Don't think being an old car it has "classic" ignition bits - other than being an analog computer rather than digital, it is just like a modern car. edit, well not like a modern car that has the coils right on top of the spark plugs, but just like a modern car that still uses a distributor!

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 07-16-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 AM

get a matched cap and rotor, I'd also spend the few bucks and go for Bosch.
A new set of oem type spark plug leads (metal ends, right angle) and new plugs does wonders for any 30 year old car.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Yes wires, cap, rotor cheap and easy and most certainly needed.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:51 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
before going and throwing money at possible solutions, you should work through the L-Jet diagnostics
sloboy89 offers good advice here. A vacuum leak caused the last incident of running poorly, and you have already replaced the spark plugs, so I'd say that your problem is more likely fuel than spark.

Sure, you could replace the wires, cap, rotor, points and condensor just because they're old. But it's just a shot in the dark that they are the cause your rough running problem.

Quote:
but $200 as opposed to $50 for traditional ignition parts is a big difference
Why not just inspect the cap and rotor, and check the point gap before throwing parts at it? That will cost nothing.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-17-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
I purchased an L- jet Spider that had been sitting for 17 years. I replaced all the wires, plugs, cap, rotor, along with injectors, fuel pumps, FPR, and hoses but still ran rough. Found a few vacuum lines that were compromised. Still ran rough. Finally found all the vacuum leaks and now she runs fine. I HIGHLY suggest running through the L-jet troubleshooting guide and take nothing for granted. The smallest vacuum leak will make the car run poorly. Good luck! I know you will find your issue...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM

Pull the vacuum hose of the FPR and see if the vacuum circuit is full of raw fuel.
The diaphragm is probably broken causing poor idle. Not the ignition at all. Seen it dozens of times.
RML
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
I purchased an L- jet Spider that had been sitting for 17 years. I replaced all the wires, plugs, cap, rotor, along with injectors, fuel pumps, FPR, and hoses but still ran rough. Found a few vacuum lines that were compromised. Still ran rough. Finally found all the vacuum leaks and now she runs fine. I HIGHLY suggest running through the L-jet troubleshooting guide and take nothing for granted. The smallest vacuum leak will make the car run poorly. Good luck! I know you will find your issue...
A great way to find vacuum leaks is with a spray bottle of starting fluid. If you spray it around the various vacuum sources and air ducts a vacuum leak will show up as a change in idle speed. You can also use something non-flammable like brake cleaner. WD-40 works too, but its still flammable and messy.

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

All great advice and much appreciated. I used the link above to resolve vacuum leaks when I first got it. That is what lead me to replace the air intake duct. Will try the spray bottle technique to be sure i dont have new issues.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalori86 View Post
All great advice and much appreciated. I used the link above to resolve vacuum leaks when I first got it. That is what lead me to replace the air intake duct. Will try the spray bottle technique to be sure i dont have new issues.
Pull the vacuum hose....off the fuel pressure regulator it takes 2 seconds. Do that FIRST!!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Garage
Also pull the dipstick during idle to see if idle changes. Should drop around 300 rpm. If not, you have a leak somewhere!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
I have a 1976 Alfetta GT and recently replaced the original a worn out Marelli distributor with a Pertronix unit.
The installation is very easy as long as you can find TDC and have a timing light. My old GT runs like new
and starts immediately. Gas mileage has also improved. Points and condensers are stone age today. Go with electronic ignition and you will never look back.....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Garage
He has a 86 with the original L-jet system. No points, no condenser, distributor is basically just a 4 way switch....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode