Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Spider with no radio - ever

6K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  930cabman 
#1 ·
My 1985 Graduate has no radio and I don't think it has ever had one. It has the pininfarina radio delete plate and also Alfa Romeo speaker grills that have no speaker hole behind them, just carpet.

It's hard to believe the original dealer did not install a $50 radio that he could mark up to $200. The car does have pin stripes that I think were stuck on by the dealer when the car was sold so he did sell one high margin add-on item.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some request no radio, they would rather listen to that inline 4 hemi.... you will find many on here too that would rather have no radio. I do turn mine down on occasion and go through the gears.

Reactions: adowns
#3 ·
I would have to see more of the carpet but it might not be original. You may also be able to get the build sheet from Alfa. Link is on the site here someplace. A US car with no radio would be a very, very odd delete option. No wires behind the carpet?

#4 ·
pull the delete plate (carefully, don't break the tabs!), look for the radio wire bundle.
No alfa had a radio from factory (all dealer installations) but there should be wiring in place.

funny, today people are looking for the delete plates, that were thrown out when dealers installed radios:)

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
What is your point of posting...
My point of posting. I think it's unusual for a 34 year old car to never have had a radio installed. Of course every Spider Graduate had no radio when it was new, but how many have never had a radio? I posted because here's an opportunity to see what they looked like when they rolled off the boat - delete plate and Alfa branded speaker grills ready for whatever the dealer wanted to put behind them.

A pointless post? If so, it's time to scroll down to other topics that are more important.

#5 ·
Had a radio, threw it away. Pulled out the antenna, threw it away. Pulled out four crappy speaker, threw them away.
Made a pretty little delete plate out of flamed maple. Happier now.:laugh2:

#6 ·
No Radio

Consensus may be, who needs a radio when you're running through the gears, slapping the shifter in anticipation of the upcoming curve and listening to that scream of the exhaust telling you to Get Ready!
What radio?

#12 ·
Holy Cow, some of the long timers on this forum need to take a pill or something.

#20 ·
Yes, I think its decent for a homebuilt using parts laying around. The only thing I dont like is that the S2 spider is a curvey, organic design -- beautiful curves and lines. The plate is very square-ish, angular, not organic. Oh well it works!

#22 ·
I like it too,
BTW, I have 2 blanking plates for a million jalapeños each, if anyone needs one
?

#23 ·
My first Alfa was an 85 Graduate. It came with no radio, and the dealer didn't install one. Unfortunately, the shop that installed my bent the delete plate, so I tossed it.

My second Alfa was an 87 Graduate. Same deal about the radio, except the shop didn't bend the plate, but of course I lost it.

As much as I agree with the "No Stinking Radio" at times, there are times you want one, whether it's a long trip, or bad weather with the top up, or to play at a picnic because your speakers are much better than the what is available otherwise.

As for "Listen to the Engine" crowd, there was a humor piece in one of the car mags years ago (I forget if it was C+D or R&T) that matched cars with certain accessories/road trip items. The answers were along the lines of:

Driving Snacks:
Rolls Royce - Do you have any Grey Poupon?"
Porsche - "Don't Eat in the Car!"

and
Tunes:
56 Thunderbird: American Graffiti Soundtrack
Porsche: "Listen to the Engine, dammit!"

Mo in NJ
Back to work

#24 ·
Curiouser and curiouser.
My 79 spider came with a radio/cassette player, the operation of which is described in the owner’s manual, so either it came that way or Alfa supplied the dealers with the radios to install if requested.
Over the last number of years I have simply stopped using it and now the antenna is frozen in the down position. Cest Le Vie.

#26 ·
Why not? Your phone blue toothed to a quality speaker works just fine and you can take it on the beach when you get there...n

Reactions: Mobes
#29 ·
The 'spider' in my garage ('59 TR) came from the original owner after he had had it for 40 years. It has never had a radio but has the cool stock radio blank off plate and cloisonne'.

My '66 Duetto came to me with a vintage Audiovox FM SW- that I started to remove. When I realized the radio was connected to an antenna, through a hole in the front fender, I left the radio.

Mark

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.